newbie Hopper 3 internet question

ALEMBIC

Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
USA
Just got a Hopper 3 which gets internet via wireless from older router which gets signal from DSL modem capped at 6mbps. I can get Xfinity to house now; do I have their tech hook up the Hopper direct via ethernet ( will also get X1 box) or will X1 wireless be better? Also is there a speed limit I need to look at as far as internet related to Hopper or is more better? Xfinity offers 75 to 1200 in my area.Thanks

Just got a Hopper 3 which gets internet via wireless from older router which gets signal from DSL modem capped at 6mbps. I can get Xfinity to house now; do I have their tech hook up the Hopper direct via ethernet ( will also get X1 box) or will X1 wireless be better? Also is there a speed limit I need to look at as far as internet related to Hopper or is more better? Xfinity offers 75 to 1200 in my area.Thanks
I always found that ethernet is best but but wifi is good as well. Need for speed is subjective. It depends on how much you use the internet at the same time as you are watching TV. Is there gamimng going on at the same time? Is somebody going to use a TV app or something off of a ROKU on a different TV to watch, say ESPN? 75 is probably going to be OK even for 4K apps but I would go for some a bit higher just to be safe for every situation. I actually use 1.2 from Xfinity but I have had 300 in the past and all worked great.

I have Verizon 4G LTE Home Internet at 50 mbps and never have a problem with the WiFi connection.

I have Roku Ultra on one TV and Roku Stick on another. We don't game but do have the Hopper3, Joey2, a laptop, 2 phones and a security camera.

Ethernet is always better but nothing wrong with WiFi either As far as Internet speeds are concern, download is only one part of the equation as each package has a different upload speed which is what will matter more with things like DISH Anywhere as well as internet video doorbells and security systems among other things. 1200Mbps has a 35Mbps upload but unless you have a 2.5Gps router port, you will never see more than 940Mbps as 1000Mbps will be the fastest ethernet interface you will have on most connectons and with overhead, 940Mbps is the highest it will go so if you can, get 1000Mbps/35Mbps if it is offered as with any speed, Xfinity provisions 20% above the limit so 1000Mbps is really 1200Mbps/42Mbps.

Reactions: charlesrshell