Newbie Needs Help with DP Twin to DVR512 and D301

DrRon

Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Denver
Just trying to install a DVR512 to replace an old DVR510 with a D301 on the other leg of a DP Twin Dish setup.

Tech Support says I need a Separator to split one leg into two to input to Sat1 and Sat2 ports and run both tuners on the DVR512.
Leave the second leg into the D301 where it is.

Seems like the only Separator I can find is the DP Plus, which requires the DISH Pro Plus switch or LNBF input, right?
Something about a "splitter" just feeding the same signal into two places.
Isn't that what the SAT1 and SAT2 inputs are looking for?
The 512 runs fine with both legs of the DP Twin connected to it.

Am I going to need the full DISH Pro Plus setup just to run both DVR512 tuners?
Why the heck didn't they tell me that when they sent it out?

Looks like there's a bunch of splitters out there that don't cost a lot of money.
Will one of them work for me?

Sorry for the whining here, but can't get any help from DISH and looks like all the brains come here.
Glad to find you.

Thanks,
Ron

you will need a dpp twin with a separator, a regular splitter won't work (easiest)

you can also run both lines from your existing twin to a dpp44 or 33 switch (most expensive)

or find a DP quad with 4 outputs and run 2 lines to the 512 and 1 to the 301

Actually, a DP34 would work as well, but each tuner would require a coax run from the switch (two for the 512) and one for the 301. It would be cheaper than the DPP44 or DPP33 switches. But personally, I would get a DPPtwin, would also be cheap and easier to set, the DPPSeparator would then work for the 512.

Actually, a DP34 would work as well, but each tuner would require a coax run from the switch (two for the 512) and one for the 301. It would be cheaper than the DPP44 or DPP33 switches. But personally, I would get a DPPtwin, would also be cheap and easier to set, the DPPSeparator would then work for the 512.
Agreed.

Thanks All. It's great to have the brains and the generosity to help.

I spent a lovely couple of hours in my attic today getting up close and personal with the cable runs from my DP Twin.
As luck would have it, I'm having 3 feet of fiberglass blown into the whole attic tomorrow.
I rerouted the coax's to keep them above the new insulation but wouldn't want to work in there after it's all done.

I can get access to my dish on the roof over my garage.
Let me see if I've learned anything here:
I can change out my DP Twin LNBF assembly with a DPP Twin without getting into the attic again.
I can then install a DPP Separator on the run to my new 512 down in the basement and connect the outputs to both SAT 1 and 2 input ports.
Ill leave the run to my 301 alone.
Have I got that right?

OK, now for the details.
If I asked DISH to do this job since I've been paying them for my old 510 DVR for 9 years they'd be glad to do it.
They'd charge me $95 plus parts.
If I had originally installed a DPP dual tuner DVR I would have had the setup already.
Any way to talk them into doing the job for free?

If not, should I be looking on eBay for the equipment or is there a better place to shop?

Finally, even though the User's Guide says absolutely nothing about it, it looks like the 512 is Dolby Digital compatible.
So, can I connect a fiber optic cable to the PCM port and get DD5.1 sound when a program transmits it?
Any way to see if a program is sending 5.1 down?

Again, thanks a lot for the help here.
I'm really glad I found you all.
Ron

Oh, I forgot...
My old 510 is kinda' cranky but still runs OK for the most part.
I asked DISH if I could swap out the 301 for the 510.
They said once an obsolete receiver has been deactivated they can't authorize it back.
Does that sound right?
Is there any way to get some more use out of the old 510 or is it destined for the recycle bin?

I would buy the parts and do it myself, it's not hard and you can get better prices off e-bay. Dish is correct, all 5xx receivers not being activated anymore. And no, Dish will not change out your lnb for free. The setup you got when you were originally installed was normal.

if you don't want to do it yourself, you should be able to get it done for $15 if you sign up for the protection plan
they will swap the lnb, install the rec and separator and should replace the 301 with 311, since they are being phased out already

This is interesting, as I just ordered a Solo DVR 512 Receiver today. Dish wanted $449 for it and I purchased it from an authorized retailer for much less. I included the DP Pro Plus Separator. I am replacing an old 3800 Receiver with the 512. I currently have a Dish 500 with the Dish Pro Twin LNB (two outputs for receivers, one input for a third LNB). Both Dish Technical support and the authorized Dish retailer have stated (in writing) that this set-up will work. Why SD and not HD - simple, I take my 311 receiver from the bedroom to my RV when I travel and it only has a SD antenna.

Last edited:
OK, so today I bought a new DPP LNBF and Separator on eBay - $45 out the door.
I think it should be an easy install.
That's about 7 month's worth of Protection Plan payments but I still have the old 301... sigh.
If I had been paying into the Plan for my 9 years with DISH I'd have spent $756.
Seems like a good deal.

Back to the audio question - HELP says I can set up the Digital Audio optical port for DD, PCM or Both.
If a broadcast is in stereo would Both work or would I lose the audio out of my external 5.1 processor?
If so, would a second audio cable with RCS jacks running in parallel be the right thing to do?

Thanks again for all the help here.
You guys are smart, patient and honest.
That's a hard combination to find these days.

The 512 *should* have come with a Separator, but it doesn't hurt to have a spare. The route you took was probably the best and easiest. As long as you don't disturb the dish while mounting the new Twin, you should be up and running in no time. Be sure to run a 'check switch' on the 301 to see if it 'finds' DPP twin, then switch channels several times just to make sure everything is ok. You can do this while the 512 is downloading it's software. Good luck.

Well, I installed the DPP Twin and separator tonight.
Everything went smoothly and the 512 is doing its 2 tuner bit just like it should.
Sure would have liked it if DISH Support had told me all that you guys have from the beginning.
But, that's gone and we're here and I'm glad.

Now, on to getting Dolby Digital PCM out of this box.
Anytips?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts