Newbie question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

oyster_nc

Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Hello Satellite Friends...

So, I currently have DirecTV...I had it installed 6 weeks ago. At the time, I had no idea that without a second coax run to my living room TV, my DirecTV supplied DVR would not be able to record one thing while I watched another. A 2nd run is logistically...not impossible, but very difficult.

The installer who put the system in told me about something called a SWM8, which would allow one coax run to supply both tuners in the DVR with programming, thus solving my problem for a mere $140 or so.

But DirecTV will not let me have one. So here's my question...

Does Dish Network have this same issue, or have they worked this out? Do their DVRs function over one coax run? Do they have multiswitches that allow it all to work without extra runs? If so, DirecTV will be losing a customer.

I look forward hearing the answer.
Thanks!
-Barry

garys...

Thank you for your response. So this is standard stuff for Dish? Splitters feed the necessary signal into both tuners, allowing for simultaneous recordings off of one coax run? That's outstanding.

Are there any drawbacks to Dish's approach? Signal degradation or anything like that? I ask because DirecTV leads one to believe that the voltage from the dish requires extra power to allow for the split (the SWM8 they won't let me have is a powered splitter...it plugs into AC as well as coax).

Lastly, are there any drawbacks to Dish Network in general? Like I said, I'm new to satellite...cable was all I could ever have when I lived in NY. I like DirecTV well enough I guess. Is Dish Network better in any way? Worse in any way?

Thanks again!
-Barry

Dish networks DVR's are far superior to Directs, having been an installer for both companies.

You could probably go to the war zone and find all this out without asking this question here, but since you did:

1 cable feeds Dish's dual tuner DVR. Dishes DVR is also capable of operating in 2 rooms, the 2nnd room doesn't have a box, but still has full functionality from the box. You can record one show and watch another. You can record 2 shows at the same time. You can watch recorded shows from the DVR in both rooms.
You also have many more choices to record that just "single" or "all."
And all of this is included in your FREE installation as a new customer.

Also, if your receiver is connected to a phone line, that 2nd room is virtually free, if not, it costs you $5.00 more per month. Not a big deal anyways because you're getting 2 rooms.

Direct WISHES they had Dish's single cable, 2 rooms, separate tuners technology. I know I wish they would of had it when I installed their stuff.

DirectTV's LNBs are based off Dish Networks old technology. Dish now uses Dish Pro Plus technology which utilizes bandstacking to send duplicate satellite signals down 1 coax cable to the receiver which is split out to two ports on the receiver (with a seperator, which is sorta like a splitter).

So yes, switching to Dish will fix your cable woes (unless your house is wired with RG-59 coax). Other nice thing is you can share your DVR with another TV in the house if you choose to... utilizing that same single coaxial cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts