News Flash- A Christmas Story on TNT in HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
I read this morning that "A Christmas Story" was on TNT. I thought, here we go, a classic movie and it will be stretched from hell and back. To my amazement it is in hd. The pq is a bit grainy but what do you expect from a 1983 movie. Not as good as "Christmas Vacation" on hd dvd. Maybe TNT will keep it up.

The movie was grainy in the theater! It is a low budget movie no one expected to do anything! This was the proverbial surprise hit which took about a year to catch on. :)

See ya
Tony

I read this morning that "A Christmas Story" was on TNT. I thought, here we go, a classic movie and it will be stretched from hell and back. To my amazement it is in hd. The pq is a bit grainy but what do you expect from a 1983 movie. Not as good as "Christmas Vacation" on hd dvd. Maybe TNT will keep it up.

I love that movie. I have a deal with the wife that we watch this movie every year and she can watch White Christmas.

I think the grainy look is to give you that old nostalgic 1940s feel of Ralphie the boy who is now a man retelling the story of his first b-b gun. It is like flashbacks that look faded or black and white on most tv shows.

The grainy look is because the film makers had very little money for the production and made the movie on grainy film! :) Really. This movie was a low-budget wonder! It was a miracle it was funded at all! Honestly. It's one of those types of movies NO ONE thinks is going to make a nickel, and it didn't in the original theater release. But when it made it to PPV and movie rentals the sales hit the roof! The EVERYONE just knew it was going to be a hit from the beginning. :)

BTW I watched this movie in the theater at a matinee when it was first released (the theater was EMPTY except for me, my nephews who made me go see it with them, and two other groups of three or four). Me and the other 5 adults in the theater were laughing louder than the kids. I remember my sides hurt for a week after seeing this movie for the first time. :D

See ya
Tony

Instead of going back to the original negative master, the HD version was transferred from the same PRINT that was used for the 2004 special edition SD release. HD makes the print grain even more noticeable.

... It's one of those types of movies NO ONE thinks is going to make a nickel, and it didn't in the original theater release. But when it made it to PPV and movie rentals the sales hit the roof! The EVERYONE just knew it was going to be a hit from the beginning. :)
Office Space was the same way. Nobody else wanted to go see it when it was in the theaters but I was finally able to convince a friend to go see it with me. The theater was pretty empty, and we both loved the movie. It didn't do well in the box office. But these days its popularity is a different story. :)

I can't believe they put it on HD-DVD! I can't stand it as it is.... :)

51vWKtCsKVL._AA240_.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts