Nexstar Media Group threatens largest local station blackout in TV history, according to DISH

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT

Nexstar Media Group threatens largest local station blackout in TV history, according to DISH​

November 26, 2020
- Nexstar turns back on public interest obligations, holds local viewers hostage to create negotiation leverage
- Broadcaster giant demands more than $1 billion for local broadcast station fees

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Nov. 26, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Nexstar Media Group, the largest local broadcast station owner in the nation, is threatening to black out DISH customers' access to 164 local channels in 120 markets across 42 states and the District of Columbia. The broadcast giant is trying to use its market power to demand unreasonable rate increases while intentionally using millions of Americans as pawns in their negotiations. This action by Nexstar would result in consumers being blacked out from the highest number of local broadcast stations in the nation's TV history.

In recent years, Nexstar went on a $12 billion local broadcast station buying spree to become the largest and most powerful station owner in the country. Now that Nexstaris the biggest in the industry, it is trying to strong-arm companies like DISH to pay outrageous rates and force unprecedented increases onto customers. The broadcaster continues to threaten to blackout its stations from DISH customers to gain negotiation leverage in an effort to line its wallet with viewers' hard-earned money — a tactic it used last year against DirecTV and AT&T U-verse.
"Since becoming the nation's largest local station owner, Nexstar has increased its annual revenue by $1 billion a year. Now, it has set its sights on DISH customers as their next big payday," said Brian Neylon, Group President, DISH TV. "Nexstar is demanding more than $1 billion in fees for its television channels. This shocking increase is the highest we've ever seen. Nexstar is intentionally turning its back on its public interest obligation and instead demanding consumers pay significantly more for the channels they could receive for free over-the-air."
Nexstar is also forcing DISH to carry WGN America as part of this deal, a channel that has experienced declining viewership in recent years. Nexstar acquired this channel when it bought Tribune last year. Now, the broadcast owner is looking to DISH customers to pay back this investment. Nexstar is demanding a significant payment for this low-rated channel that airs syndicated reruns found on other DISH stations and features a news program that can be accessed for free online.
"With the COVID-19 pandemic continuing to affect the nation and unemployment on the rise, subscribers need access to their local programming," said Neylon. "Nexstar'stactics are hurting millions of Americans at one of the most difficult times in recent history."
In an additional hit to customers, Nexstar announced that it is expecting to pay out over $100 million to its shareholders — this is the same money Nexstar is making on the backs of Americans nationwide.
"It's our goal to reach an agreement with Nexstar that is fair for all parties involved, especially our customers," added Neylon. "We will continue to fight on behalf of our customers to keep TV bills as low as possible, and we hope Nexstar sees how important it is to come to a deal that is beneficial for all."
DISH customers can visit DISHPromise.com for more information.

I remember the Directv - Nexstar dispute, that lasted for a few months.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nexstar Media Group threatens largest local station blackout in TV history, according to DISH​

November 26, 2020
- Nexstar turns back on public interest obligations, holds local viewers hostage to create negotiation leverage
- Broadcaster giant demands more than $1 billion for local broadcast station fees

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Nov. 26, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Nexstar Media Group, the largest local broadcast station owner in the nation, is threatening to black out DISH customers' access to 164 local channels in 120 markets across 42 states and the District of Columbia. The broadcast giant is trying to use its market power to demand unreasonable rate increases while intentionally using millions of Americans as pawns in their negotiations. This action by Nexstar would result in consumers being blacked out from the highest number of local broadcast stations in the nation's TV history.

In recent years, Nexstar went on a $12 billion local broadcast station buying spree to become the largest and most powerful station owner in the country. Now that Nexstaris the biggest in the industry, it is trying to strong-arm companies like DISH to pay outrageous rates and force unprecedented increases onto customers. The broadcaster continues to threaten to blackout its stations from DISH customers to gain negotiation leverage in an effort to line its wallet with viewers' hard-earned money — a tactic it used last year against DirecTV and AT&T U-verse.
"Since becoming the nation's largest local station owner, Nexstar has increased its annual revenue by $1 billion a year. Now, it has set its sights on DISH customers as their next big payday," said Brian Neylon, Group President, DISH TV. "Nexstar is demanding more than $1 billion in fees for its television channels. This shocking increase is the highest we've ever seen. Nexstar is intentionally turning its back on its public interest obligation and instead demanding consumers pay significantly more for the channels they could receive for free over-the-air."
Nexstar is also forcing DISH to carry WGN America as part of this deal, a channel that has experienced declining viewership in recent years. Nexstar acquired this channel when it bought Tribune last year. Now, the broadcast owner is looking to DISH customers to pay back this investment. Nexstar is demanding a significant payment for this low-rated channel that airs syndicated reruns found on other DISH stations and features a news program that can be accessed for free online.
"With the COVID-19 pandemic continuing to affect the nation and unemployment on the rise, subscribers need access to their local programming," said Neylon. "Nexstar'stactics are hurting millions of Americans at one of the most difficult times in recent history."
In an additional hit to customers, Nexstar announced that it is expecting to pay out over $100 million to its shareholders — this is the same money Nexstar is making on the backs of Americans nationwide.
"It's our goal to reach an agreement with Nexstar that is fair for all parties involved, especially our customers," added Neylon. "We will continue to fight on behalf of our customers to keep TV bills as low as possible, and we hope Nexstar sees how important it is to come to a deal that is beneficial for all."
DISH customers can visit DISHPromise.com for more information.
Just got a message from Dish on my screen to visit channel 37 about this. They are only talking about Nexstar so it must be a biggy!!!:mad:

My 2cents

1.)If you have good internet and they serve your area www.locast.org ( you may want to donate $5 to stop the advertisement to donate , no you can't record )
locast.JPG

OR
2.) If you are able to receive the blackout channels over the air get outside ant. Contact dish to see if you can integrate the antenna into your receiver.( Dish may send someone out to add Antenna)
OR
3.) Do nothing and be sad till dispute is over.

Scott please edit or delete if i violated T.O.S.

I just turned on NFL on FOX and I see a scroll about Nextstar Dish dispute. (WVBT-Nexstar)

I remember the Directv - Nexstar dispute, that lasted for a few months.

I was going to say since Charlie really like to play hard this might go longer then the DIRECTV blackout. It will be interesting to see if Charlie gets this resolved quicker.

Reactions: dtv757
My 2cents

1.)If you have good internet and they serve your area www.locast.org ( you may want to donate $5 to stop the advertisement to donate , no you can't record )
View attachment 149034
OR
2.) If you are able to receive the blackout channels over the air get outside ant. Contact dish to see if you can integrate the antenna into your receiver.( Dish may send someone out to add Antenna)
OR
3.) Do nothing and be sad till dispute is over.

Scott please edit or delete if i violated T.O.S.
To answer your 2 cents: Locast is not available in my area. 2. I can't use an OTA because I live in an apartment and even if I could it would have to be 30 ft. high to receive the local stations that Dish provides. 3 I won't be sad I'll be pissed off! :mad:

To answer your 2 cents: Locast is not available in my area. 2. I can't use an OTA because I live in an apartment and even if I could it would have to be 30 ft. high to receive the local stations that Dish provides. 3 I won't be sad I'll be pissed off! :mad:

Then maybe start thinking outside the box...
Hulu - next day most NBC, ABC, Fox and FX for most programs
CBS:All Access - for CBS stuff

Then maybe start thinking outside the box...
Hulu - next day most NBC, ABC, Fox and FX for most programs
CBS:All Access - for CBS stuff
I'm not going to pay a streaming service while I have Dish! I still have a year left on the current contract. Also I'm not going to start trying to go with their trial periods either.

I'm not going to pay a streaming service while I have Dish! I still have a year left on the current contract. Also I'm not going to start trying to go with their trial periods either.

That’s certainly a choice. But I believe that Dish lets you drop locals from them and save $12. Oddly enough an ad supported sub to Hulu + CBS All Access works out to be the same. Well actually you can get Hulu w/ads for $1.99/month for 12 months as a new signup.

Reactions: Howard Simmons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)