Next Generation of Receivers?

HardDriver

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
We're still using our 942, but we're hesitant to upgrade to the 622 after two buggy units that we got (and sent back) when they first came out. We want the new MPG4 channels, but we're spooked by the 622 and would really prefer to get another receiver. Is there any kind of timeline as to when the next generation of receivers will be released?

Sorry you got a buggy 622, but the 622 IS the next generation of receivers, and at least 80% of them only have minor problems - I'd try again.

The vip622 is the NG receiver. Wouldn't you rather wait a bit and get another 622 when the bugs are worked out rather than trying again with another brand new model anyway?

Not if it actually offered the features that I really want, rather than just access to a few new channels.

The 612 is a dual tuner hd dvr that Dish is coming out with this fall. IT will only work for one tv and you are not able to watch anything different in the other room. IT is going to become the new intoductory dvr for new customers and it is supposed to cost less because it doesn't work on two tvs. Gained the information from Scott during team summit.

So this works the same way as the 721, two tuners, one tv output. Perhaps it will be around $250-300 otherwise one might as well get the 622. The thing about the 622 is that it only has the one satellite HD tv output so maybe this is why they seriously considered on making the 612 just for the HD television that people have and then use the 625 for the other televisions. They could offer the 612 for free or for $99 lease fee if they can get the production costs down that much.

Jim5506 said:
Sorry you got a buggy 622, but the 622 IS the next generation of receivers, and at least 80% of them only have minor problems - I'd try again.

I agree with Jim5506. I absolutely loved my 942, never had a problem. But, with the coming shift to MPEG-4, decided to go ahead and get the 622. Unlike some of the posters on this board, I have not had any significant problems with the 622, to the extent that I bought a second 622 when the price dropped. Yes, there has been times when the pixelation was annoying, and there was an audio sync issue, especially on ABC; and, of course, the "disappearing timers" problem. However, these seem to have gone away with the 3.57 software download. I have full confidence in the 622, and would encourage anyone to purchase or lease one.