Status
Please reply by conversation.

greyskies

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
sunny South Florida
Hey folks:

Hooked up the HTPC again to my dish, with ProgDVB get reception from the Nexus to the Television, and can see ProgDVB on the TV Screen from the ATI-Radeon. However, that being said, cannot see programming from the ATI-Radeon to the TV Screen, only the program and a black screen with no sound when running from the ATI to TV, while still receive programming on TV from Nexus (hardware or software mode chosen).

Can anyone help me fix this? Its been awhile (nearly a year) since I ran across this problem, and my notes got wet in October from Hurricane Wilma.

greyskies in sunny (half sunny - Nexus and half hazy - ATI-Radeon) South Florida

No Monitor Option for TV with ATi-Radeon Card

jerryt said:
Try setting the TV as the primary display for your video card.

Something like that.

Tried your suggestion, and was not able to set the tv monitor as the choice under the Windows Display in Control Center. Only thing I could change about the monitor is the Hz setting.

Its amazing that I cannot get tv programming over the video card now, but still see the ProgDVB shell over the video card on the tv screen. All the while I can see tv programming over the Nexus-S connected to a different port on the tv.

Any other thoughts, or do you know of anyone use Nexus-S, ATI-Radeon and ProgDVB? Other software with this TV card and video card combination?

greyskies, which version of Catalyst are you using? ATI aren't known for their great drivers when it comes to TV in or out.

Check over at rage3d forums, I had a similar issue with an All-In-Wonder card I had years ago.

When I wake up I'll have more of a think.

Windows has become corrupted. No doubt that is why ProgDVB started acting funny. Well, seems now is a good time to switch over to either Ubuntu (Kubuntu or Xubuntu) or SUSE, as both linux distributions will soon be releasing new versions. Will play with either VDR and/or MythTV.

Thanks for your thoughts and help, but MS Windows still = Winblows, even at XP Pro SP2.

greyskies in sunny South Florida

greyskies said:
MS Windows still = Winblows, even at XP Pro SP2.

I got tired of the Windows thing too, I dumped all but one of my PCs a while ago and now my main machine is an older Mac and I can now see what the fuss is about.

If you're ever on Usenet the latest RC of SUSE has been posted.

Before you jump ship, did you try MCE2005, IIRC even the freeware Media Portal works with DVB cards.

Mac and DVB???

Cascade:

I use a G4 at my office and have never been disappointed nor suffered any crash ( in plain English, no BSOD experiences ). Truly happy with purchase it is a 867Mhz, and am thinking about upgrading the processor at OWC.

This unit was bought for my better half who was creating a curriculum for the Univ. of Miami (Florida) and was going to videotape presentations, and then hyperlink the video files to the text lessons, and burn it onto DVDs. Oh well, she developed the curriculum and started to videotape the lesson presentations, but due to time constraints and other factors, decided not to learn how to use software to integrate video into her curriculum DVDs.

Well, zoogdisney.com and nickjr.com, and this piece of hardware quickly found its way into my office, and no regrets for the last 4 years plus. Only drawback is that the technology is changing with Intel CPUs. Oh well, will look into the upgrade processors.

Now to the real reason for this post. Have you found some software to use your Mac as an HTPC for DVB reception? If so, please elaborate.

Best regards,

greyskies in smokey South Florida

greyskies said:
Have you found some software to use your Mac as an HTPC for DVB reception?

I don't have a DVB card or receiver at the moment but when my lottery numbers come up this is what I'll be going for:

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv300

The only thing I found for the Mac that is supposed to work with regular PCI cards such as the Twinhan or Nova is iTV:

http://home.arcor.de/a.thiede/

There was another I found a couple of weeks ago but I forget the name, Google "Mac and Conexant cx" - see if that throws out anything useful. Most cards are based off the same deriative of chipset which stems from the old Brooktree bt848, now Conexant.

I know there's a beautiful looking MythTV frontend for OSX but again, I haven't tried it.

867MHz... Sounds like you have a Quicksilver, same as mine.

Elgato EyeTV 300

Cascade:

The EyeTV caught my attention, however, note that it is PAL, not NTSC. It would be wonderful if you could use it with NTSC programming protocols, rather than PAL. I cannot find anything on their website or elsewhere advising as to whether it can be modified by software for use in North America with NTSC.

If you or anyone else out there has access to such information, it would be enormously appreciated.

greyskies in sunny (rains recently have removed smoke) South Florida

It should* still work over here. the only real difference between DVB-S(1) over there is the horizontal resolution and framerate, none of which should matter that much in the digital realm.

*protecting my ass incase someone buys one and it doesn't work

Cascade said:
It should* still work over here. the only real difference between DVB-S(1) over there is the horizontal resolution and framerate, none of which should matter that much in the digital realm.

*protecting my ass incase someone buys one and it doesn't work

Cascade:

Doesn't the PAL vs. NTSC sort of make a significant difference. I recall from my fortec FTA that I could not focus in on signal with PAL setting, had to switch it to NTSC. Information on their website only mentions PAL, not NTSC. When I called them a couple of months ago, they told me that there were no present plans to introduce a similar device for NTSC. I would buy one if I knew that I wasn't wasting my money, since its not free, and I do not need another expensive paperweight. Have my 2 old fortec lifetimes around for that purpose.

Best regards,

greyskies

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)