NFL & Big Ten on Cable... Only If It’s a Fair Deal for Customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Just recently after the Patriots vs Giants game this showed on Charter.com website:

College Football Information

Give Us the Games, Not the Hustle

Putting Fans First is a new coalition of sports superfans and consumers uniting to address the soaring cost of sports programming. For more information, please visit Fans First.

Charter continues to bring our customers the BEST in football including Big Ten games, NFL games and football highlights OnDemand! Plus, our customers don’t have to miss a moment of the action with the HD-ready Charter DVR. Be sure to check back for the most up to date information on Big Ten games and more. More than 250 college match-ups and around 100 NFL games during the 2007 football season.

NFL & Big Ten on Cable... Only If It’s a Fair Deal for Customers

Charter Communications and other cable operators around the country have been told by our customers that they want more choice in the programming they pay for, and they want to pay a reasonable price for it. That is at the heart of Charter’s position to not just accept the unreasonable demands being made by the NFL Network and the Big Ten Network for carriage of their Networks on our channel lineup.
We want a reasonable solution for sports fans. Charter wants to carry both of these sports networks for you and we understand the value these networks offer those who enjoy professional and college sports; especially communities that features teams in both Leagues. Although the majority of games are presently on cable, we know that every game is a must-see when it involves a team you follow.
Both the NFL Network and the Big Ten Network publicly state that Charter is withholding games from our customers. We’re grateful that many of you recall that the games now on both League-owned Networks that come with a high-price tag for every cable customer used to be free on broadcast TV. Both networks demand that their programming be part of our Expanded Basic service delivered to virtually all customers, including those not interested in NFL or Big Ten sports. Both the NFL Network and the Big Ten Network have rejected our request to carry their programming on Charter’s fan-based Digital Sports View Tier.
The Big Ten Network and the NFL Network are expensive and we don’t believe that the majority of our Expanded Basic customers should be compelled to absorb the high cost of services they might not have much, if any, interest in. Many of you have told us they agree.
We know that consumers want more choice in what programming channels are available to them more control of the cost for that programming. Carriage of the NFL Network and Big Ten Network on our Digital Sports View Tier would honor that request. However, we must have the two network’s permission. Other cable operators are taking the same position with NFL and Big Ten Network as Charter with the same goal -- to make the entertainment service the best value in the marketplace.
Charter believes it should be able to carry the NFL Network and the Big Ten Network for a reasonable monthly fee on our Digital Sports View Tier, where only sports fans who want to watch these Networks pay for it. We believe that’s a reasonable request, and one that respects all your best interests - sports fans and non-sports fans alike.
Ultimately, it’s got to be a fair deal for you.

Link: Charter Communications - College Sports

Last edited:
I recently heard something to the effect that the BTN and NFLN want $.90 per subscriber. ESPN gets over $2.00 per subscriber. Can someone tell me how the BTN and NFLN are hurting fans? ESPN is available on all packages on all cable and satellite providers. That's what BTN and NFLN want as well. I don't see why people complain about those networks without first looking into the facts about sports programming.

Big10 wants to be in the basic package in the 8 Big 10 states...the rest of the states it can be wherever...thats all the B10 wants...and cable companies here in MN say nope

Well why doesnt the Big10 Lower the rates they charge the cable companies if they put it on basic? vs digital/premium tiers.

Am I missing something, here

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Just recently after the Patriots vs Giants game this showed on Charter.com website:

I had both "D" & now "E", since NFL & BIG TEN Networks came available.

I did not see a fee increase from either company. Did they both absorb the cost?.................If so, what is the problem with the cable companies.

Please, someone clarify.......................

What I don"t understand as all these cable subs are constantly crying about NFL Network and BigTen Network. Stop your months of worthless whining and solve it with a simple phone call to DirecTV or DishNetwork. Otherwise you just want something to complain about and really do not want the channel.

why should they?

If they want to be carried they will do something.

Perhaps the fact that the majority of the subs to the "basic /standard" packages could care less about the "Big10" network. and its only a "niche group". So why should every cable subs rate go up .62 cents or more just for that single channel the minority want to have? Cable companies have been adiment about fighting these channels who want such high price and coverage, because they dont want to set a precedent. Imagine the price of basic cable for the avg joe if all the channels started pulling these stunts.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I had both "D" & now "E", since NFL & BIG TEN Networks came available.

I did not see a fee increase from either company. Did they both absorb the cost?.................If so, what is the problem with the cable companies.

Please, someone clarify.......................

Just like cable companies the sat companies usally only raise their price once a year, so until the "Yearly Increase" When they add new channels they absorb the impact. But they do adjust the price to reflect the new channels during the annual increase. When you notice the companies do their yearly increases its because of many things, including the addition of channels and the rise of prices to have those channels. The cable/dish companies have a set % they want to keep for profit. Be it 10% 15% or 5% whatever their "Operating margin is" So the yearly increase will be whatever the difference is in the "Cost of operating" and maintaining that margin.

Just like cable companies the sat companies usally only raise their price once a year, so until the "Yearly Increase" When they add new channels they absorb the impact. But they do adjust the price to reflect the new channels during the annual increase. When you notice the companies do their yearly increases its because of many things, including the addition of channels and the rise of prices to have those channels. The cable/dish companies have a set % they want to keep for profit. Be it 10% 15% or 5% whatever their "Operating margin is" So the yearly increase will be whatever the difference is in the "Cost of operating" and maintaining that margin.

I still haven't seen an increase..........When should I expect it?

What world do you live in? Except for locals, cable companies pay for every channel they broadcast. Those stations don't run for free.

No they do not. The cable company does not pay for any channel. You pay for it. The cable company only transfers the money from you to them.

I still haven't seen an increase..........When should I expect it?

Well everyone else in the country who has any sat or cable company get the yearly increases in costs.. You must be the only person in the nation who doesn't, Please advise me how you got that deal, id like to try it also.

I recently heard something to the effect that the BTN and NFLN want $.90 per subscriber. ESPN gets over $2.00 per subscriber. Can someone tell me how the BTN and NFLN are hurting fans? ESPN is available on all packages on all cable and satellite providers. That's what BTN and NFLN want as well. I don't see why people complain about those networks without first looking into the facts about sports programming.

You ask about facts? How about the fact that ESPN covers every sport know to man with no specific team or league allegence. BTN and NFLN are specific leagues that are in fact wanted by a much lower audience. An example is, my State, Iowa, has been the site of the Mediacom battling the Big Ten Network over putting thier network on their systems for free. But when a survey was done in the state, fewer than 10% of the total population in the state said they would watch it. So why should a cable company be forced to provide something the majority of its viewers will not watch? Cable and satellite companies are for profit companies. Why should a company be forced to provide for free soemthing that less that 10% of their customers want?

It's all about money. The cable and satellite providers need to provide a free service to all thier customers for a select few who even want it. The BTN and NFLN are all about money, they spew crap to make you believe that your provider is being unfair, but the truth is they just want more money for themselves.

And the real bottom line is that if you need to watch a league specific network to see your team play, then your team must suck because good teams are on ESPN or one of their alternative channels anyway.

And by the way, I have watched some of the BTN games on my Dish and the programming they provide is not worth paying extra for. The local cable company here showing the local high schools games do a better job. BTN presentations are amatueurish in comparison.

No they do not. The cable company does not pay for any channel. You pay for it. The cable company only transfers the money from you to them.

Duh!! Where did you learn about business from? What does any business do? Buy products from one source to sell to you. What about the costs of transmission equipment and lines and installation? Do you think they should do that for free?
The cable company has to account for every customer they provide a channel to and pay a fee for that to the company providing it.
Just like a car dealer buys a car from the factory and then sells it to you, or a furniture store buys from a factory and sells it to you. Besides a product, they must also provide support, that is not free.

I sincerely hope you are not a business owner, because you don't have a clue as to how it works.

Huh? As I said the cable company does not pay for a single channel, you do. You pay for every channel. If they add another channel that cost 3$ a month guess whos paying for it? You not them, its not coming from their profits. How is this hard for you to grasp? Yes they have to pay for the lines and serviceing etc, which comes from your monthly bill as well.. Take The Sat companies for instance, someone has posted on this board that I think Dish only spends like 30-40% of its income on programming costs, that means 40% of your bill goes to pay for channels, the rest covers the overhead+profit. So if their programming cost goes up whatever% because of a channel being added or channels wanting more money, The cable company is not taking a profit cut, they pass it on to you, which is why I say they dont pay for a single channel you cover the cost of all the channels. They also dont pay taxes,

Maybe you should read a book in business economics. Because itll tell ya any successful business does not pay for anything out of its 'own' money, they have customers for that. Spend your profits you go broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts