NFL HD Starting Mid August or Sept 2004?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
AVS Thread

NFL Network Article

I was prompted to post this (there is a thread on AVSforum about it) since NFL Network is part of VOOM and last year we had channel 311 in HD that past the "Game of the week" in HD. This year from this quote:

"The month of August will be a coming-out party of sorts for NFL Network. In addition to the Jaguars' training camp show, NFL Network enters its first full season by televising 54 preseason games, including the live airing of the Jaguars' final contest when they visit the defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots on Thursday, Sept. 2 at 6:30 p.m. ET. Plus, NFL Network goes high definition on Aug. 1 with the entire network being available to viewers with HD capabilities on a separate stand-alone feed.

Entire Network going HD means to me that this is going to be more than just "Game of the week" or Pre-Season games. This will be great!

I enjoy the summer, but I can't wait for football season! Just think, two years ago it was: SEC game of the week, NFL game of the week on CBS, Monday Night Football, and perhaps the Superbowl if it wasn't on FOX.

This fall I will have multiple games in multiple markets (DC, Baltimore, Richmond) on CBS, FOX, ESPN-HD, and now the NFL Network. Hopefully, the Big Ten, Big 12, PAC 10, and NBCs coverage of Notre Dame will join the SEC in bringing HD to the masses! Oh, and don't forget about the NCAA on ESPN-HD.

A little off-topic, but does anyone have any insight on this upcoming NCAA Football Season...who will be going HD?

Someone please shoot me the next time I complain!!!

Hey Sean...is that ch going to come back on VOOM? Is it gone? Its been a while since I checked.

Getting NBC to do the Notre Dame games in HD will most likely require divine intervention. After all, they couldn't do the US Golf Open in HD.

I sent an email to Customer Support at VOOM. Here's my question and answer I got back from them.

Customer - 06/22/2004 09:46 PM
It looks like NFL Network will be carrying a separate HD channel than channel 312 SD that VOOM currently carries. Are you going to carry this separate HD feed?

NFL Network announced the following:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/7441559

""The month of August will be a coming-out party of sorts for NFL Network. In addition to the Jaguars' training camp show, NFL Network enters its first full season by televising 54 preseason games, including the live airing of the Jaguars' final contest when they visit the defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots on Thursday, Sept. 2 at 6:30 p.m. ET. Plus, NFL Network goes high definition on Aug. 1 with the entire network being available to viewers with HD capabilities on a separate stand-alone feed. "

Helpful Links displayed on website on - 06/22/2004 09:46 PM

Response (VOOM - HDTV Delivered!) - 06/24/2004 12:35 PM
Thank you for contacting VOOM.
Correct, we will be carrying a separateHD channel for the HD feed in august. If you have any further questions please give us a call at 1-800-GET-VOOM and once again thank you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!
Keith Putnam
VOOM Email Support

Thanks Sean thats great to hear. Im looking foward to this years NFL season. I love baseball....but theres nothing like Sunday football when its 10 degrees out.

Does this mean NFL will automatically become NFL-HD or does Voom need to add this as a new channel (the original post said all content in HD on a seperate feed).

I'm confused about the NFL channels, if you check the channel lineup on Voom it shows NFL network, but if you type in your zip code for a list to see what is on right now they show an NFLVoom channel on 311 and NFL network on channel 312.

It always says "no programming" for the NFLVoom channel though.

311 is the NFL Network HD channel that was removed from the Voom lineup temporarily until later this summer. I believe they did it to conserver bandwidth since there really wasn't anything HD being broadcast on it anyway.

312 is the standard definition (SD) NFL Network channel.

These games won't be live, right? The NFL network doesn't have any live games, so you'll get to see a taped game in HD, WOOOOPPPEEEEDOOOOO

jeffwtux said:
These games won't be live, right? The NFL network doesn't have any live games, so you'll get to see a taped game in HD, WOOOOPPPEEEEDOOOOO

Some of the Pre-Season games will be live while others will be tape delayed.

Does anyone know what channel will show the Super Bowl this year. I hope it's not FOX. It may sound weird but where I live we dont have a local FOX channel. I live in South Texas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)