NFL Network Dispute? -- Resolved

I feel like by disclosing in the service agreement that no channel is guaranteed and can be removed at anytime, the reasonable expectation is that you're gonna experience some blackouts. By the way, Dish never blacked out Viacom, DTV did.

Perhaps Dish won't lose a large number of subs over this dispute, but the issue for me is the history of these disputes. Eventually every customer will be without a channel they do care about for a period of time, such as NFL, AMC, Viacom, Fox News, etc. I think that by signing up for tv service you have a reasonable expectation that your provider will provide you with the channels in the package you signed up for. With Dish, you never know from one day to the next which channel you may be without and for how long.

I made the move to Dish almost a year ago because of price, however now they are actually more expensive than DTV now that ATT has gotten involved.

I believe that in this day and age it is exceedingly difficult to survive as a stand-alone tv provider. Dish may be taking this stance feeling it's the only way they can stay viable but by doing so they may actually be sealing their own fate.

Most all of us have lost a channels we like for awhile, by far mostly for a short while. Directv has been without channels as has most cable companies, some channels have never returned on some of the smaller cable companies. Had I changed to Directv when channels I watched was gone for awhile I would be paying alot more with Directv than I do now. As for At&t being involved and lower prices.... what prices are lower for Directv service? (Not new customer/short term promo)
It certainly isn't great to have the disputes but someone has to curb the increases in programming costs. I think the new Flex package is a direct result of DISH negotiations to get some type of A La Carte going.

Perhaps Dish won't lose a large number of subs over this dispute, but the issue for me is the history of these disputes. Eventually every customer will be without a channel they do care about for a period of time, such as NFL, AMC, Viacom, Fox News, etc. I think that by signing up for tv service you have a reasonable expectation that your provider will provide you with the channels in the package you signed up for. With Dish, you never know from one day to the next which channel you may be without and for how long.
Pretty certain that the Disney and NBC Comcast channels are safe for a while.

I made the move to Dish almost a year ago because of price, however now they are actually more expensive than DTV now that ATT has gotten involved.
Huh? Directv get rid of their advanced DVR fee?

I believe that in this day and age it is exceedingly difficult to survive as a stand-alone tv provider. Dish may be taking this stance feeling it's the only way they can stay viable but by doing so they may actually be sealing their own fate.
Uh huh, that's a broken record there.

When I got Dish, it was it was a cheaper long-term option. That was probably 6 to 8 years ago. Now days, Dish is still the cheaper long-term option. Programming in general hasn't been interrupted, and when it has Dish was quick to comp subs that complained. If there is someone else for you, go for it. But stop pretending that Dish's long-term future is solely contingent on your happiness as a customer.

Reactions: ChadT41
The broken record is u guys all praising how much cheaper Dish is. With a equal setup (genie, hopper) savings are marginal at best, so all of these disputes aren't really going back into the consumers pocket.

Live sports is one of the main reasons not to "cut the cord". If Dish continues to ignore, and loose sports channels, then they will continue to tread water in the subs department.

As a former D* and E* sub now with cable always looking to get back to satellite, I have priced both services. For my programming and hardware needs, D* was the cheaper option in the first of the two years but ballooned higher than E* in the second. So they averaged out the same.

Live sports is one of the main reasons not to "cut the cord". If Dish continues to ignore, and loose sports channels, then they will continue to tread water in the subs department.

Exactly. Live sports is the one thing that is DVR proof - seems like everything else you can watch on demand or download entire seasons of shows. I understand not providing some RSN's due to price - when I hear some RSN's asking for $5 or $6 for a single channel for a single market - I agree. But for NFL Network - a national network - plus RedZone - surprised me that they would keep the channel permanently dropped. I still think it will be back by the time the regular season comes around.

The broken record is u guys all praising how much cheaper Dish is. With a equal setup (genie, hopper) savings are marginal at best, so all of these disputes aren't really going back into the consumers pocket.
My pockets are much better off with Dish than anyone else, as are many who subscribe to Dish. That isn't being a fanboy, that is an economic truth.

Dish has the ESPN suite, the new college conference channels, NBCSN (including Live Extra and Extra Time), FS1, FS2, NFL, NBA, MLB, bein Sport, and most RSNs except the NY ones. Up to just now, they also had NFL Network and Redzone, which may still be around once the season starts. Is the sky really falling?

a 6agdn6mj5 ?_&TANZANiaFDHXANaiOlkzkznonj-lTANZANiaFDHXANaiOlkzkznon &ajjgjjjsaajjgjjjsaqwwaajdlaakkopqiQaaizlakhgaa-qwwaajlJna@

Reactions: charlesrshell
As a former D* and E* sub now with cable always looking to get back to satellite, I have priced both services. For my programming and hardware needs, D* was the cheaper option in the first of the two years but ballooned higher than E* in the second. So they averaged out the same.

Then DISH is cheaper unless you switch every two years. All my posts about how much can be saved with DISH - as you have acknowledged in that post is not based on anyone's promo, just the everyday costs. You can save with almost anyone as a new subscriber it's after that. At one time I posted that after the first year's saving with Directv, over the two years it was darn close to just staying with DISH and you seem to be confirming that.

Reactions: JSheridan

The broken record is trying to cover for Directv If you are saying Directv can not give you any receivers that would lower the price to how low DISH can be then that's a Directv business decision - to not let you save money. If they do have those receivers give us a comparison. Just like having a first receiver fee now, or if I had them an additional $6 or so Sports surcharge. You can't make an argument that it isn't fair to compare two providers who deliver the same service in the same way because one of them chooses not to have a way to charge less and the other does give you a choice.

I do realize that Dish gives you that choice, and that is a nice feature. I would have to bet though, that your average customer who calls to sign up, and doesn't frequent sites like this, knows nothing about all of those older receivers, and is steered in the direction of the Hopper if they want DVR. Most folks would probably say, what the hell do I need an antenna for? I thought I was getting a dish.

The broken record is trying to cover for Directv If you are saying Directv can not give you any receivers that would lower the price to how low DISH can be then that's a Directv business decision - to not let you save money. If they do have those receivers give us a comparison. Just like having a first receiver fee now, or if I had them an additional $6 or so Sports surcharge. You can't make an argument that it isn't fair to compare two providers who deliver the same service in the same way because one of them chooses not to have a way to charge less and the other does give you a choice.

It's AT&T's buisness decision. Look at their cell service. Their new model is to either have upgrading customers lease equipment, or pay anywhere from $17 to $30 a month for 30 months.

So, when I upgraded my plan and got (what was) a new Galaxy S5, it cost me about $200. Now, when I'm eligible to upgrade in a couple months, I'll be charged $20 for 30 months? "Oh, it just gets added to your bill, sir." Yes jackass, and when it's said and done, the same phone I can get discounted with a new plan on another provider, is $600 in the end.

Although there is defense for AT&T's products and services, their pricing isn't one.

Reactions: Tampa8
It's AT&T's buisness decision. Look at their cell service. Their new model is to either have upgrading customers lease equipment, or pay anywhere from $17 to $30 a month for 30 months.

So, when I upgraded my plan and got (what was) a new Galaxy S5, it cost me about $200. Now, when I'm eligible to upgrade in a couple months, I'll be charged $20 for 30 months? "Oh, it just gets added to your bill, sir." Yes jackass, and when it's said and done, the same phone I can get discounted with a new plan on another provider, is $600 in the end.

Although there is defense for AT&T's products and services, their pricing isn't one.

Go with Cricket....You will be miles ahead!!!....and AT&T bought them out over a year ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)