NFL Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/08/commentary/sportsbiz/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

nfl_network.gif

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- This August is the most brutal month for the National Football League.

While the games seem like they mean nothing, they will in fact determine who gets to be in the lineup when the season starts and who will be left out. Veterans face challenges from upstarts. And all of it is played out in unbearable heat.

Bryant Gumbel and Cris Collinsworth, seen here with NFL Network anchor Rich Eisen, will be the broadcast team for most of the regular season games the network will now show.

I'm not talking about the NFL training camps, which are inhuman enough. I'm referring to the clash between the NFL Network and the nation's leading cable operators.

In January, the NFL decided that rather than pocket hundreds of millions more in rights fees for a package of eight late-season Thursday and Saturday games, it would give the games to its two-year old NFL Network. In the past, the league's own network has shown only pre-season and NFL Europe games live.

"The NFL has all the cash it needs," said sports television consultant Neil Pilson, a former president of CBS Sports, of the NFL's decision to pass up offers from Comcast's (Charts) OLN Network and others to broadcast the games. He thinks it's a smarter long-term decision for the NFL to boost the attractiveness of its own network.

The NFL Network won't get its first regular season game until Thanksgiving night, when it shows the Denver Broncos play the Kansas City Chiefs. Its broadcast team of Bryant Gumbel and Cris Collinsworth will call the game.

The network will also show some second-tier college bowl games this year, along with 90-minute condensed versions of Sunday games throughout the week. But it's the live regular season games that are at the heart of the NFL's battle with cable operators.

The decision to put regular season games on the network has already spurred some operators to offer it to more of their subscribers. That's increased the number of homes the NFL Network reaches from about 30 million in January to 41 million today.

Top cable companies not yet on board
But the nation's largest cable operators have yet to put the network on its basic lineup offered to all its customers. Some, such as Comcast and Cox, offer it only to digital customers. That cuts into the ad revenue the NFL can get for the games.

The nation's No. 2 cable operator, Time Warner Cable, has thus far refused to carry the network at all, insisting that it only be included in a premium sports package of channels such as NBA TV and networks that carry college sports, soccer and racing. Not even all digital customers would get that package. (Time Warner Cable, like CNNMoney.com, is owned by Time Warner (Charts).)

And when Time Warner Cable purchased 3.3 million cable households that were formerly owned by either Adelphia or Comcast last week, it tried to drop the network from the nearly one-third of those homes that had it. The NFL got the Federal Communications Commission to order Time Warner to keep the NFL Network on those systems, though.

Now, Time Warner and the NFL are both trying to enlist members of the general public to support their cause.

The NFL is advertising a phone number that directs fans to their local cable company's call centers so they can ask their provider to add the network to their system.

Time Warner is asking its customers to sign an online petition to the league to let the cable company carry it as a package of sports networks.

"We would like to carry the NFL Network and I assume they would like to be carried. It hinges on two factors -- the price and the placement," said Time Warner Cable spokesman Mark Harrad.

Time Warner claims the NFL Network is trying to jack up the per-subscriber fee by 250 percent -- to the neighborhood of 70 cents to 90 cents a month per customer -- due to the addition of the eight games.

"It's hard for us to understand how they can justify the price they want for an untested rookie," said Harrad.

Seth Palansky, spokesman for the NFL Network, wouldn't comment on the issue other than to say, "We're comfortable our pricing makes the NFL Network one of the best values in the industry."

Palansky said the network believes pressure from fans will be important in negotiations with the cable operators.

But Harrad said the number of calls that Time Warner has gotten so far -- less than 8,000 from former Adelphia and Comcast customers who lost the channel, and only 88 cancellations, show the demand for the network is limited.

Still, the NFL is actively courting cable competitors with its outreach program to fans. The network is already available in all 27 million satellite television homes covered by DirecTV (Charts) and EchoStar (Charts), and it also has deals to be carried on the new television offerings from phone companies Verizon (Charts) and AT&T (Charts).

Sports TV consultant Pilson said the history of these types of battles between cable operators and regional sports networks shows that public and even political pressure generally causes the cable operators to give in, even if it increases their costs. And the NFL is more powerful than a regional sports network.

"The NFL is the largest single entertainment property in the U.S. today, by a huge margin," Pilson said, adding that the NFL Network will probably be available in 50 million to 60 million homes within the next couple of years.

"Most of the pressure will be on the cable operators," he said. "The force is with the NFL."

Yeah, I've seen quite a few commercials on there about how they're going to have "Live Games" this season. It ought to be pretty good.

I wonder if this is a preliminary manuever towards moving a lot of NFL games to NFL Network? After all, why sell the rights to networks and D* if you have your own network and you can keep all of the advertising revenue and charge high subscription rates for carriers.

Once NFL Network is picked up by most households, then that opens the door for them to carry many more games. They have the potential to become one of the nation's top cable channel / network.

I just wish I could convince Charter to carry the channel in my area (Riverside, CA). I am really regretting my decision to cancel Dish Network. Of course, I really SHOULD get DirectTV so I can watch EVERY game... sooo expensive though...

CraziFuzzy said:
I just wish I could convince Charter to carry the channel in my area (Riverside, CA). I am really regretting my decision to cancel Dish Network. Of course, I really SHOULD get DirectTV so I can watch EVERY game... sooo expensive though...

Good luck. Charter (and probably most of the other cable companies) appear to be taking the position that since only a "small number" of NFL games will be televised on NFL Network, the customers really won't be missing out on much.

However, I also believe NFL Network could be making a mistake. The signal quality of Charter's analog service in Greenville, SC is poor. However, if NFL Network were on the "Sports Tier," they would be in digital form, meaning that the picture quality would be better.

Below is the e-mail response I received from Charter on 8/8/06 regarding carriage of the NFL Network:

Thank you so much for contacting Charter Communications. I would be glad to assist you in the best manner possible. The NFL Network wants non-football fans to pay for the Network. In Markets that DO carry the NFL Network, they are asking for a 350 percent increase for adding only 8 regular season games over 6 weeks out of 267 games over a 16-week season. This is a very poor value offer – even for fans.

I understand that you place a high priority on football games; however, we also have many other customers who are not interested in football programming. Many of our customers tell us that they are not football fans and would choose not to have their bills increase in order to gain access to the NFL Network.

We have asked the NFL Network to allow us to carry the NFL Network on a Sports Tier where football fans such as you can watch it without requiring our other customers who are not football fans to pay higher costs. Unfortunately, the NFL Network will not allow us to carry it on a Sports Tier – they want to force nearly every customer to pay for it.

Thank you for contacting Charter Communications.

Woo Agency Teams Up With DISH Network(TM)

Subscribers Now Get More Football for About Half the Price of Digital Cable

CULVER CITY, Calif., Aug. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Woo Agency is launching a
multimedia ad campaign for EchoStar Communication Corporation's (Nasdaq:
DISH) DISH Network(TM) and their total football package.

Celebrating the start of the 2006 NFL season, the national campaign
features prominent NFL player Tiki Barber throughout the brand's
television, radio, and print advertising, championing the rallying cry, "I
want football 24/7." This campaign will also be integrated on a local level
in key markets using regional NFL stars including Dallas Cowboys' Drew
Bledsoe, Tony Gonzalez of the Kansas City Chiefs, and Marvin Harrison of
Indianapolis Colts fame.

"We chose to work with Woo Agency because they know what it takes to
develop fully integrated programs that drive response and create
awareness," said Jody Martin, senior vice president of Marketing for DISH
Network.

Woo was responsible for all creative duties on this project, from
television, radio and print, as well as guerilla tactics including street
teams and upcoming local events. Select media was also bought by the
agency.

More information on DISH Network's total football package can be found
at IWantFootball24-7.com.

About Woo:
Woo Agency is a Culver City-based ad agency specializing in brand and
response-driven advertising. Present and past clients include Gateway, Tire
Pros, Good Guys, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, LA Fitness, Gold's Gym,
Fatburger, Winchell's Donuts and Mattress Gallery. Client work can be
viewed at http://www.wooagency.com

SOURCE Woo Agency

Tom Bombadil said:
Between Dish and OTA, I'm figuring that I'll get 70-80 NFL games in HD this fall.

That's enough for me.

Not to mention how much money you'll save by not going with DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket.

I prefer the NFL Network's condensed games that they show during the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts