NFL Thursday Night Football in 4k looks bland

AngryStamen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
I'm watching the Steelers at Browns game and switching between NFL Network and the 4k channel (ch. 540) and the 4k feed looks bland in comparison. When I get up close, I guess the 4k channel looks a little bit more crisp on the edges, but the color is definitely muted compared to the standard HD feed. Is this a normal occurrence or is something wrong? Thanks for any input.

Dish looks acceptable, not terrible but as always NO HDR from the cheap ass company.
At times you can can see visible artifacts of edges of things that have the interlaced look with the stair step pixels.
Better than the HD channel.

FUBO TV looks like absolute S###.
Not just the 30P as always but the picture is so soft and faded out color, looks like a washed out low res mess.
A complete embarrassment. Not sure why FuboTV is even offering anything in 4k as it all looks bad but tonight was a new low.

I couldn't check the Fox Sports APP with Apple TV as there is apparently a bug that won't allow it to launch with my Apple TV.
All my other APP's launch as usual but not Fox Sports. Haven't used it in a few weeks so not sure how long it's been an issue.
Gonna have to call Apple.
This is what I hate about Internet TV it can be a pain in the ass with various programs not working.
And nobody is on the job taking care of this quickly.

bjf

Can you share more info on the CBand feed in 4k.

How does it look compared to all other channels / versions you looked at in 4k.

A lot better?

Does it show in HDR on CBand?

Thanks.

Curious. I had CBand years ago but finally gave it up and went with the small dish.
Didn't even know anything was available on the old big dish let alone in 4k.

bjf

They all look the same to me as everyone is just passing through the same thing. Yes HDR is present on the cband feed.

Im also have gigabit internet so Im getting the max bandwidth available on the Fox app on my Apple TV 4K.

The quality is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the CBand info.

A quick followup. So do you still use the big dish for CBand or is it now also on a small dish from some specialty supplier? As well as a CBand Satellite box?

And regarding the CBand HDR for tonight vs. the Fox Sports APP with your Apple TV.
I am being told that the APP is not true HDR and Apple TV is doing a quasi Apple tweaking to make it look like HDR.

So that being said how do these two compare in your eyes only concerning the HDR.
Cband vs. FS APP with AppleTV. BTW, I'm guessing you have a HDR cabable TV and descent brightness to tell how good the HDR is.
I know the set can effect how good it looks, ie too dark on a entry level TV.

Thanks again.

bjf

Yep still use big dish. I'm not sure how they are passing HDR through apple TV, but it reports as HLG HDR on my TV.

There was no noticeable difference in my eyes. Yes, I have a 2019 LG that does Dolby Vision, HLG, HDR 10. I'm going to have to do a video on it one day.

Thanks for the added details.

I'm not an Apple TV expert just got it to see streaming and the AppleTV works pretty solid.
Not perfect. I hate the remotes. But it's a solid box.

A few weeks back I thought it looked like real HDR and better picture of the NFL Thursday 4k games, when I compared to Dish network (No HDR).

But others here said the FS APP is not real HDR.

So you saying it looks the same on CBand says it must be allowing HLG or a conversion is occuring to let AppleTV show it live.

And no noticeable difference between the CBand and the FS APP is good to hear.

BTW, are there several sat. boxes for CBand 4k?
Or just one to pick from these days.

Box cost a lot?

Much offerered in 4k Sports feeds?

Does the dish still pivot across the arc of the sky or just stay on one Satellite these days.

Thanks, bjf

The 4K feed doesn't look as good to me as the 1080i feed for NFL Network.

They're doing something weird to it. The HDR grading on the 4K feed doesn't look right

TNF looked great on my new Sony X950G connected to an OTA antenna.

The only thing I didn't like was when Garrett ripped off Mason Rudolph's helmet and hit him on the head with it.

I'm watching the Steelers at Browns game and switching between NFL Network and the 4k channel (ch. 540) and the 4k feed looks bland in comparison. When I get up close, I guess the 4k channel looks a little bit more crisp on the edges, but the color is definitely muted compared to the standard HD feed. Is this a normal occurrence or is something wrong? Thanks for any input.

Dish is stripping the HDR data from their rebroadcast of the 4K feed which results in colors not looking right. Not sure why they’re doing that unless they think having it available to watch on the 4K joey is more important than having a correct looking picture.

Dish is stripping the HDR data from their rebroadcast of the 4K feed which results in colors not looking right. Not sure why they’re doing that unless they think having it available to watch on the 4K joey is more important than having a correct looking picture.
Wouldn't that be why there's a separate HDR subchannel, that apparently has never been used?

Reactions: charlesrshell
FLEABttn, do you have a reference that DISH is stripping the HDR?

Wouldn't that be why there's a separate HDR subchannel, that apparently has never been used?

The HDR channel been used for the Winter Olympics and the World Cup but not seemingly since, if I recall correctly.

FLEABttn, do you have a reference that DISH is stripping the HDR?

Like if you’re asking me if Dish is quoted somewhere as saying that, no, but it’s a matter of experience and likelihood. Fox Sports is producing the show in standard high def, and in HDR upscaled 1080p to 4K (which they are calling a 4K HDR broadcast). They have not said anything to lead anyone to believe their are producing a “4K” version without HDR. Basically every other provider is carrying these games in 4K HDR with the few early exceptions being admitted technical issues with regards to hybrid log gamma (HLG) HDR on Apple TV. The washed out colors that people are commenting on are something you can replicate with certain 4K UHD players that allow you to force convert HDR to SDR.

It’s either that Fox Sports is is producing a third version of Thursday night football that purposefully looks bad that one provider only has chosen to use, or Dish is stripping the HDR data from the broadcast (which as a side effect makes it viewable on the 4K joey, which does not support HDR for some reason).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)