Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Nielsen Secures Long-Term Agreement for Dish Set-Top-Box Data

DISH Providing First National and Local Set-Top-Box Data to Nielsen

Data will Enrich Nielsen Television and Total Audience Services

Today,Nielsen and DISH Network L.L.C. announced a multi-year agreement to enrich Nielsen’s industry-leading national and local TV ratings service by integrating DISH’s aggregated set-top-box data. Consistent with Nielsen’s Total Audience strategy, this is the first nationwide dataset to be calibrated with Nielsen’s gold standard, high quality panel to provide the highest levels of granularity and demographic descriptiveness.

Anonymized data from millions of DISH households will be combined with true, person-level insights from Nielsen’s local markets, offering the industry a deeper understanding of viewing habits and increased metrics reliability.

“We are aggressively investing and enhancing our local and national TV measurement business by offering clients an innovative suite of solutions that provide higher quality insights and specificity. DISH’s set-top-box data is the first nationwide dataset to be integrated with our panel data, reaching the perfect balance of deep viewing characteristics and the granularity of big data sets,” said Steve Hasker, chief operating officer, Nielsen. “As the global leader in audience measurement, this is another step in our efforts to integrate big data into our portfolio and our Total Audience efforts.”

Initially, the data provided by DISH will be integrated into Nielsen’s Local TV Measurement service across all 210 designated market areas. The agreement will also enable Nielsen to leverage DISH’s set-top-box data to complement many of its local and national products including Nielsen Scarborough, Nielsen Data Fusion, Nielsen Media Custom Insights, and multiple national insight services. Additionally, Nielsen will also have the ability to use set-top-box data for its suite of marketing effectiveness and return on ad sales solutions, including CPG, Retail and Auto.

“Nielsen is the industry’s currency and adding aggregated DISH set-top-box viewership data to Nielsen’s products will enhance the granularity and clarity of the insights that Nielsen provides,” said Warren Schlichting, DISH executive vice president of Marketing, Programming and Media Sales. “This will allow advertisers and networks to improve their marketing and programming decisions even as television viewing itself becomes more fragmented.”

Interesting idea, but I don't see it working like they think it will. Reminds me of putting "blinders" on a horse so it sees what you want it to see. Good move by Dish though.

Works great, DISH has been using it for years.

I have seen some of the numbers in the past and was shocked at how few people watch some channels (like some channels only have a few dozen people viewing them at any time)

I have seen some of the numbers in the past and was shocked at how few people watch some channels (like some channels only have a few dozen people viewing them at any time)
Any big names? Or mainly the niche ones.

And yet , those channels still stay on and just change their names from time to time, to make them look like new again.

How does this deal with a viewer that always records to avoid the insipid commercials.
Ratings now are listed as "live", Same day, +1 (within 24 hours), +3 (Within 72 hours), +7 (Within the week). This way a true composite can be made up of the total audience. Most advertisers are really only interested in viewers 18-34 who watch the program live or "same day". This is why some popular shows sometimes get cancelled or moved if they are up against stiff competition on the same day.

And DVR viewers are exposed to advertising, no matter how much they say they aren't. People pay MORE attention to the screen when fast-forwarding or even skipping commercials than they do when they are passive.

And DVR viewers are exposed to advertising, no matter how much they say they aren't. People pay MORE attention to the screen when fast-forwarding or even skipping commercials than they do when they are passive.
I'm not that sure about that one with me. I sometimes watch live TV and I am rather surprised what I apparently "missed" out on recently.
When I'm skipping commercials, not sure if I actually keep on mind what bits and pieces I saw. I could not remember one if you asked me right now. LOL

Reactions: papachops
If I see a sliver of a commercial that I like when fast forwarding I'll back up and watch it. Among the ones that I'll do that for recently is the one about the cute little girl in the tiger suit whose dad brings her to see a live one. Funny thing though, I don't remember who the sponsor is.

If I see a sliver of a commercial that I like when fast forwarding I'll back up and watch it. Among the ones that I'll do that for recently is the one about the cute little girl in the tiger suit whose dad brings her to see a live one. Funny thing though, I don't remember who the sponsor is.
Here ya go. You can watch it anytime you wish! :)

Ratings now are listed as "live", Same day, +1 (within 24 hours), +3 (Within 72 hours), +7 (Within the week). This way a true composite can be made up of the total audience. Most advertisers are really only interested in viewers 18-34 who watch the program live or "same day". This is why some popular shows sometimes get cancelled or moved if they are up against stiff competition on the same day.

18-49*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)