Nimiq 4 Central Alaska on 18" Dish!

arcticracer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Fairbanks, Ak.
I had an old 18" DirecTV dish still in the box laying around, so I decided to give it a try on Nimiq 4 since I was pegging the meter on a 6' dish. First I tried it on 91, I got a lock on most transponders, but there were 3 or 4 that I could not bring in. On Nimiq 4 though, I am getting 60-80% on every transponder, look angle is only 1.4 deg. More amazing still, using an old standard DirecTV .6 LNB, nothing fancy.

So up here in Fairbanks, 82 is stronger than 91 by a good margin. Time to upgrade my programming package!

I had an old 18" DirecTV dish still in the box laying around, so I decided to give it a try on Nimiq 4 since I was pegging the meter on a 6' dish. First I tried it on 91, I got a lock on most transponders, but there were 3 or 4 that I could not bring in. On Nimiq 4 though, I am getting 60-80% on every transponder, look angle is only 1.4 deg. More amazing still, using an old standard DirecTV .6 LNB, nothing fancy.

So up here in Fairbanks, 82 is stronger than 91 by a good margin. Time to upgrade my programming package!

Nice... Bell is now a great option for HD in Alaska: HD locals, movies, sports, and it can be received on a small dish!

Directv and Dish are in the 1 meter plus range for HD and sd/locals.

just have to make sure your east view is flat or sloping down, at that low angle

Considering the coverage that they need to provide to northern B.C. and to the Yukon, Alaska reception on an 18inch dish is not unexpected.

Alaska Nimiq 4

The only problem is, few people will be able to get on the satellite with a look angle that low. I live on sort of a bluff with a clear view to the horizon from east to west.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)