No Hbo today

Time to grow up and go get a "modern tv". HDCP was brought up on this forum a good while back and we've known it was coming. NEWSFLASH!!! - the market is flooded with HD Tvs and they have come way down in price.
Newsflash I have three new tvs time for dish to man up and do mrv but they are incapable

There is no sense living in the past now. Dish is coming out with a MRV solution shortly. Complaining is not going to do much at this time. The "Time to grow up" comment seemed a little over the top though.

You wonder how many other people will be effected? How many subs will HBO loose?
not enough to care ... they think HDCP will stop the theft of content, all the while causing legitimate users to suffer, while the crackers simply change their code and keep on stealing.

Again if your not able to watch HBO because of what HBO is making DISH do then my solution would be to cancel HBO.

Money talks. :)
Unless ALL providers are having this trouble w their customers HBO will never know. Not just E & D but ALL cable co's. Have a feeling it gets stripped off in some of the processing that some company's do.

both

Time to grow up and go get a "modern tv". HDCP was brought up on this forum a good while back and we've known it was coming. NEWSFLASH!!! - the market is flooded with HD Tvs and they have come way down in price.
I have both types of TV's and not ready to put a 32" CRT HDTV in the dumpster. Not to mention I can't lift it. :D

Unless ALL providers are having this trouble w their customers HBO will never know. Not just E & D but ALL cable co's. Have a feeling it gets stripped off in some of the processing that some company's do.
And this was the point of my post its how the 722 handles it that's the problem and I have not found any reports of problems with other service providers .

And I have a feeling that it's against FCC regulation for any provider to filter out or alter that flag.

I have a Vizio tv that hdcp compliant and I get message with HDMI, Will work with HDMI unplug and comp plun in. More to it than having a hdcp compliant tv

And this was the point of my post its how the 722 handles it that's the problem and I have not found any reports of problems with other service providers .
Uncle google says otherwise

The problems are there in different forms, across different devices, and different TV's
Every provider is grappling with this in some form or another... though if Steve Jobs had anything to do with it on the Apple side, I'm sure the first reaction would be "you need to buy a new TV set because old ones can't be made up to date" ... which is also the same finger pointing *every* Cable/DBS provider does ... though they also point back to component connections.

Some we've already seen, like leave your TV on so that HDCP handshake can complete more normally, and you won't have the error.
or Don't leave HDMI plugged in when your TV is off so that the DVR won't see the hdmi port out there as grounded in some way and assume there is a device that is deliberately not doing the HDCP shuffle and thus breaking encryption rules.. etc..

I also assume many cable homes, don't have the level of user that Dish has as its average. We've gone to dish because the cable system sucked in one way or another.. we might even be considered bleeding edge in some cases.. We all know the reality ... the issue is HDCP, but the manufacturers (content and boxes) continue to play these stupid games, hackers will get what they want, one way or the other, and every time the manufacturers come up with some new attempt to stop theft, the legitimate users will pay for the faults in the science or logic of the content protection schemes.

I think one reason why HDCP could be flawed is because HDCP was developed by Intel and while Intel knows a lot about how computer technology works, I don't think they know anything about how TV technology works. There are supposedly devices out there called HDCP strippers that supposedly can remove the HDCP protocol, but as to whether those devices are legal still remain a mystery.

I think one reason why HDCP could be flawed is because HDCP was developed by Intel and while Intel knows a lot about how computer technology works, I don't think they know anything about how TV technology works. There are supposedly devices out there called HDCP strippers that supposedly can remove the HDCP protocol, but as to whether those devices are legal still remain a mystery.
Not illegal yet.

Not illegal yet.
I would think they are covered by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. They are in fact a device designed to strip HDCP .. the protection mechanism from a media stream .. the only rightful use they would have is in a place that is removing the protection to enable redistribution into another system and they would have an allowance from the copyright holders to do so.

So the devices themselves may not be illegal, but their use in unauthorized ways *would* be illegal.

All of which is a moot point because the background technology of HDCP allows for key revocation. Find a device that is enabled as a stripper, and its certified key is revoked, the HDCP source will then block that "stripper". You'd then have to sue the people that revoked your devices' keys, or your device would need to be able to get new keys to allow it to be used again, etc..

I'm sure at some point in time, someone will create one that's designed to take the keyset from a known working TV and mimic that key, which then negates the entire scheme yet again.

Loopholes.. lots of them. Just like gun laws .... thousands of gun laws haven't worked so far, whats one more except to stop the honest legitimate citizen while the criminal breaks the additional law.

OK last post on this subject from me.
I can see how you would interpret my post like I search the internet and did not find hdcp problems .
that is what i posted but not what I meant and I am sorry I was not more correct.
I was referring to a search on satellite guys that I think is the best resource on satellite problems so yes Mr Google there are other reported problems.
However I still maintain that this should not affect the analog low resolution TV out of the 722 and that indicates a software problem and I stand by that.

Agreed, the SD analog feed to TV2 should not in any way be affected. That part is definitely a bug.

I completely agree. I have the same problem on my tv2. I had this problem with the vod stuff as far as almost two years now and Dish talked to me like i was crazy. They replaced my receiver and sent a tech out which I had to pay for even though I told them the problem was their software. Of course the tech replaced my receiver again, whatever, and still had the problem. I left it alone and chalked it up as a loss and stopped trying to access the features of my receiver on my tv2 even though I should be able to. Now as I have HBO and realize the problem affects these channels now I am livid. After speaking to Dish, useless as always, they admitted it is a known issue and are working on a software fix. Of course who knows when that will ever come. Point is problem is their software causing the problem with TV2. Issues people have on their main tv cause by tv not being compliant is a different situation all together and would not be Dish's fault. Tv2 being affected and getting these errors only when the TV1 TV is turned off is Dish's fault and needs corrected by them with software not by me re configuring my setup because they can't get their act together.

OK last post on this subject from me.
I can see how you would interpret my post like I search the internet and did not find hdcp problems .
that is what i posted but not what I meant and I am sorry I was not more correct.
I was referring to a search on satellite guys that I think is the best resource on satellite problems so yes Mr Google there are other reported problems.
However I still maintain that this should not affect the analog low resolution TV out of the 722 and that indicates a software problem and I stand by that.
most of my posting here, and in cases when I reference good uncle google .. are not meant as strict posturing or as some correctness .. but that searching finds issues..

Searching here at SatGuys .. sorry to say is also better done from google with the "site: ..." modifier. Several times I've tried searching Sat Guys only to get nothing returned because the search term is too short, or ambiguous (of / that / or) but then there to lay an even bigger problem ... what site do people post on?

If more people knew about SatelliteGuys ... you can bet the user base here would be exponentially different. That's part of the problem of number crunching ... I think many more people here are affluent enough with computers, satellite, etc ... but that's not the every man (or woman pardon me, didn't mean to exclude) ... complaint sites would be more likely or even Consumer Reports since that's a brand name people know .. etc.. even my first thought dish support ... the issue because people that ultimately start to turn to the web find DishNetworks' support pages so utterly useless ... and I'm sure again I'll get the moniker of hate piling on the dish hate ...

But anyway ... one of my other posts was about HDMI / HDCP and where you take the point to look at the technology.

Its easy to argue the TV2 coax output *should not* be effected ... but to know what POV the HDCP technology is looking at, might change perspectives. HDCP Licensing specs *no analog output* ... not reduced resolution output, but *no* none, nil, zero analog output.

So if Dish takes the HDCP and no analog stance from HBO as mandate from HBO all analog is to be disabled.. thus we would loose analog coax on our boxes, simply because our boxes can do Digital too. The problem is, dish should be and should have from the start, seen TV1 and TV2 outputs as if they were two separate boxes ... one analog output only which I'm sure their contract allows for ... and one digital only ... just inside the same bigger box.

Even my first really negative experience with HDCP .... PPV ... why in hell should PPV have had any issue when I was recording the event, TV1 off .. to the drive so that I could come back after dinner out ... and play those movies at *my* more convenient time? ....

Its a-typical dish. They've done the most wonderful job in the world (until recently) with getting signals up to and back down in our homes ... for years ... until you start looking at all their ancillary offerings, PPV, VOD, Sling, HD Whole Home, BBMP, add the 813's and all the other hardware that Dish has yet to bring to market .... all of that is near crap for so many people that are dish subscribers... how could HDCP enforcement have gone any better.... it couldn't have ... because dish didn't vet the technology and the standpoints they were going to take ... they didn't push back to Echostar the company making the boxes, and possibly the ones really in control of the firmware ... and now we users are paying the price for these glitches.

I would agree with you on the point that so far it only seems dish is this bad with new technology and requirements ... though again like one of those searches the guy that had HDCP issues in Comcast ... where they had no clue about firmware updates for their set top box. And that post, was caught on google search, why would a comcast guy post to Satguy's website? (meaning again back to why Satguys can't be the only place considered)

anyway.. another /rant /longpost /negative from the cadre I'm sure is to be expected.. but at least know it wasn't meant as a negative or dig against you..

Last edited: