No OTA guide data?

rhasselbaum

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
My 811 shows no program data for OTA channels in the guide. Is this normal or did I forget to configure something?

The only thing you can do is set up the analog ABC/CBS/NBC and pick the network affiliation. Then you can see the guide on the analog stations some of the time (most of prime time).

mike123abc said:
The only thing you can do is set up the analog ABC/CBS/NBC and pick the network affiliation. Then you can see the guide on the analog stations some of the time (most of prime time).

If you do set up the analog ABC/CBS/NBC and pick the network affiliation, you can frequently get programming description info outside of primetime. It will show only "Local Programming" in the Electronic Program Guide but if you press the info button, you will get the programming description info. It will only have the programming description info for an hour or two in advance. I should note that my locals are available from Dish but I do not subscribe to them because I am able to receive OTA digital signals for almost all the major stations. I need to double check, but I believe I get this programming description info for programming that originates locally i.e., produced by the local station. If this is the case then perhaps Dish is close to providing OTA guide info.

Bummer. Well, I can get by with program descriptions from the locals provided by E* for now. Thanks.

mike123abc said:

I find a better solution to be to set Dish Locals to 2-99 from the Local Channels/Display Options menu. That will put the full guide info for your Dish Locals next to the OTA locals. Unfortunately, this will not work if you don't subscribe to Dish Locals. Also, OTA digital sub-channles can carry different programming from the main channel.

Of course, the proper solution would be for Dish to get off their incompetent asses and finally implement guide data for OTA locals. I have been suggesting they give DirecTV a call, and ask them how they've managed to do this for their OTA-capable receivers for years. Must be some kind of voodoo.

Gary: In all fairness to E* (and you know I'm on your side about their software), they've only had their Gemstar (TV Guide) deal for a few months. E* probably didn't have access to the techie details before then. So, if we get something usable (not perfect) within the next couple of months (as promised), it'll actually be decent job.

Bobby said:
Maybe they are concentrating their software engineering to making the 811 and 921 work properly first.

Shouldn't they have done that before selling them to the public?

Gary: Maybe their existing OTA source doesn't do digital and/or subchannels. Or, maybe they are converting to Gemstar as a foundation for other things. I don't know, just guessing.

Rad: Yeah - that's for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)