No phone line in my house

cclement said:
Pardon my ignorance, but I know nothing of this service. I don't have a landline- cell phone and cable broadband only. I didn't really understand this website or service.

Please tell me more about this.

Here are a few steps:

1. Pick up a Sipura SPA1001 box. It's about the size of a deck of playing cards. I prefer Voxilla for this.

2. Sign up for an account at FreeWorldDialup. Once you have the Sipura box hooked up to your network, use the Voxilla setup wizard to set up the box. Plug in a phone to test the Sipura. Dial the * then the 1800 number and test a few numbers.

If you have any problems or need help feel free to pop in to the VoIP forum at broadbandreports website, you'll find plenty of users their that can help you get started.

uWILLknow said:

Oh yeah, and VoIP phones DO NOT work with the Dish receivers; once again, they can't verify "location" with those kinds of phone lines. If u ever noticed, u can be in one state and have a VoIP phone line with a different city's area code...

That's funny. Mine works just fine.

digiblur said:
That's funny. Mine works just fine.
Hmmm, Mine works good also. I use Sunrocket and I haven't had any problems in the last 6 months that I have used it.

Edit: Also I have a 510 and 322 receivers hooked up to VOIP.

uWILLknow said:
:shh No one will ever tell u this officially; But the phone line is required to assure u are using the 2nd tuner for ur same household, not feeding it to another household and sharing the monthly bill. This tends to happen alot more (but not specific to) with international customers who will send the 2nd tuner signal (TV2) to their brother, cousin, Parents or whoever's house nearby (usually an apartment type situation). This is called "account packing".
:confused: So you hook the phone up. How does Dish know if the TV2 output leads to another room or to a nearby neighbor? The dual output boxes are themselves the best thing Dish has done to prevent stacking as it is much easier to have a second receiver at a different location. But there's no "phone connected" waiver for those.

The "no phone" fee is not for all dual tuners. It is applied to the dual-tuner dual-output 322/522/625/942 boxes.

Here is a response I got a few weeks ago in alt.dbs.echostar when trying to pin down what the fee is for. Bold emphasis is mine so you can find the answer in the middle of the corporate spin.

>The access fee has been understood to be for >keeping the smart card
number and associated >subscription information in the authorization
>stream.

This is the reason why Dish wants a phone line connected to all receivers,
but the fee itself is not to prevent account packing. There are millions
of receivers out there with PPV movies on the smart card that, since they
have never dialed out, those PPVs have never been paid for. This is in
addition to the thousands of people who are account packing. Dish is not
able to enforce this on all the receivers for the simple reason that they
didn't do that before, the same reason why the 501/508 do not have a DVR
fee but the 510 and later do. With the dual tuners, the opportunity
presents itself in that you are already saving money.
With a 322, you are
saving the additional outlet fee. With a 522/721/942 you are saving both
the additional outlet fee and an additional dvr fee. If you have a 522
vs. 2 510s, even without connecting a phone, you are saving 5 bucks.

>Dual-tuner receivers, including the dual-output >models, have only 1
smart card. That makes the >second tuner access (or "no phone") fee a
>marketing invention that is unjustified beyond >what is in the RCA.

This would be a valid argument were the fee called a smart card fee. You
still are tuning in to 2 seperate channels at once, which is what the
additional outlet fee is for.

>Dish needs to realize that the type of person who >is willing to dump
cable for satellite is also >the type who might be willing to dump POTS
for >other phone options. That people choose to save >money on their
phone service does not mean that >money is there for the taking.

When someone switches from cable to dish, there are certain advantages
they gain, and also certain things they are giving up. Generally, digital
satellite is less expensive than digital cable and may offer a wider
variety of channels, but digital cable has easier access to movies on
demand and often can offer bundled high speed internet. There are
trade-offs to any switch, and for some people it is worth it, for others
it's not. For those who have decided to only have a cell phone or
broadband phone, they have their own advantages. They don't pay for long
distance, or they can use their phone anywhere, or they are saving money
by not having both a cell phone and land line. These are all choices
people make, and Dish has no problem with that. But the trade off is that
you cannot have a dual tuner without paying an access fee for tuner 2.
Your alternative is to get 2 single tuners, and wind up paying the same or
more.

-- end post

uWILLknow said:
Oh yeah, and VoIP phones DO NOT work with the Dish receivers; once again, they can't verify "location" with those kinds of phone lines. If u ever noticed, u can be in one state and have a VoIP phone line with a different city's area code...

Since I have had Dish, I have always had Vonage and never gotten the $5.00 fee. PPV works, too.

HokieEngineer said:
Anyways, what it IS discourging is legit people like me with no landline phone. I would like to upgrade to a HD-DVR, however both the 921 and 942 are dual tuner and thus levy the extra charges. Why should I pay extra for the same service? QUOTE]

The 921 is not required to be plugged into a phone.

As for the VoIP issue; I "pause" my stance on that until I check it out further.

uWILLknow said:
:shh No one will ever tell u this officially; But the phone line is required to assure u are using the 2nd tuner for ur same household, not feeding it to another household and sharing the monthly bill. ...
Sigh. :(

We're talking about dual-tuner boxes. The phone line hookup does NOT prevent any sharing of that ONE box.

Gawd. I could go into some kind of insulting rant, but will just say you should read more than you post.

P.S. to HokieEngineer: Use your engineering logic to tell us why the phone line is NOT relevant to account stacking with a dual-tuner box.

digiblur said:
Here are a few steps:

1. Pick up a Sipura SPA1001 box. It's about the size of a deck of playing cards. I prefer Voxilla for this.

2. Sign up for an account at FreeWorldDialup. Once you have the Sipura box hooked up to your network, use the Voxilla setup wizard to set up the box. Plug in a phone to test the Sipura. Dial the * then the 1800 number and test a few numbers.

If you have any problems or need help feel free to pop in to the VoIP forum at broadbandreports website, you'll find plenty of users their that can help you get started.

I don't understand this. Does my DVR need to be hooked up the phone port on my computer, or do I hook my computer to one phone jack and all other phone jacks then connect through my broadband connection?

Your computer is not needed for the phone line. Here are the steps:

Go to Voxilla's website and get a Sipura SPA1001. Or any other Sipura retailer.

Sign up for a FreeWorldDialup account at their website. Do not download the softphone as you will not be using it.

When the SPA1001 comes in make sure you flash it to the latest firmware that is available at Sipura's website. The Sipura will plug into your router.

Once the Sipura is ready to go follow the Sipura device config wizard at Voxilla's site. Pick the configuration for the FreeWorldDialup.

Once the configuration is applied the device will reboot and register with the FreeWorldDialup's servers. Connect a phone to the Sipura and you should have a dialtone. To dial a toll free number you need to dial a * before the 1800. Test a few numbers. Now hook up the Dish receiver to the box and make sure you have the IRD dial a * before the number.

If you want to "inject" the dialtone into all of your phone jacks let me know I'll walk you through that part.

Of course, this assumes Sapient or anyone else following these instructions even has a router, or technical ability at that.

kavula said:
Of course, this assumes Sapient or anyone else following these instructions even has a router, or technical ability at that.

Or if you don't have a router you can pick up a Sipura SPA2100.

A lot cheaper then paying for that stupid land line....

Is there any way I can inject a dialtone on a cell phone line? I want to get a kit that allows me to use my home phones to place phone calls over the cell phone airwaves and allows me to use dialup internet service. I called someone about this and they said that it cannot be done this way because there is no dialtone on a cell phone line.

Stargazer said:
Is there any way I can inject a dialtone on a cell phone line? I want to get a kit that allows me to use my home phones to place phone calls over the cell phone airwaves and allows me to use dialup internet service. I called someone about this and they said that it cannot be done this way because there is no dialtone on a cell phone line.

What you are talking about is a dock and talk module:

http://store.voxilla.com/customer/home.php?cat=251

You wouldn't be able to use dialup or for letting the receiver dial up due to the lossy compression of cell phones though.

Thanks. This is what I have been trying to find information on. It would be really nice to be able to use the cell phone connection to use dialup pm a computer/laptop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts