No TV signal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Honcho1

Original poster
Oct 11, 2018
Glendale, AZ
As a new subscriber after 13 years with DirecTV, I’m finding Dish TV can be very frustrating. I am using a Dish Tailgater antenna and a Wally receiver. I have connected the coax directly to the receiver, and have connected it to the coach connection. Sometimes I get a signal, but most times not. The Check Switch, Acquiring Satellite Signal, Downloading Guide delays are quite time consuming when trying to determine the cause of not locking on to a satellite.

At the present time, when I check the satellites using the Diagnostics screen, all three satellites are shown as “locked” with signal strength in the 40’s, yet I’m unable to view HD TV! The Guide lists the expected channels, yet when selected I get the error screen.

I use an iPhone app called Winegard Satellite Pointer (AR View) to check for obstructions that could block the view, and even though there is a clear view of the southern sky, most times the antenna will not lock on to the satellite.

I’ve changed coax cables, (purchased new high-quality ones) short cables, long cables, elevated the antenna, moved the antenna, ensured the connection was tight – all with mixed results. Most times after many changes with the ^&^*(%$ The Check Switch, Acquiring Satellite Signal, Downloading Guide I still get the screen to unplug, resulting in the check Switch, etc. again.

Calling Dish Customer Service is a waste of time, since they always collect all the pertinent information and then tell me to unplug the receiver and replug. Of course this puts me in the long boot-up Check Switch, etc. routine ending with the same situation. I’m about to pull my hair out, except that I have none!

Is this normal system operation?

The Tailgater is a substandard dish. I never was able to get it to work through the coach connection. I would suggest running a coax directly from the Tailgater to the receiver.

Also, unplug the tailgater from the receiver and run check switch with no dish connected. It should end with a message like "fewer satellites are found than before" or "no satellites found". When it does, go ahead and save that configuration. Then, plug the Tailgater back in and power back up.

Even after following my recommendations, you've got about a 50% chance of being successful. Good luck.

I have had way better luck with the portable satellites made by Winegard. The ones made by King Controls are garbage in my opinion. My parents and I have both gotten rid of the Tailgaters we had and now have a Pathway x1 and a Pathway x2. They perform way better than the Tailgaters ever did.

+1 :thumbup

Reactions: Jamie57
I have had way better luck with the portable satellites made by Winegard. The ones made by King Controls are garbage in my opinion. My parents and I have both gotten rid of the Tailgaters we had and now have a Pathway x1 and a Pathway x2. They perform way better than the Tailgaters ever did.

My goodness! You not only answered the question but provided a workable solution the underlying problem. You must be new here.

Reactions: HipKat and Bobby
When I had a Winegard portable dish, I still had to run the cable directly from the sat to the receiver. They just will not work thru the rv wiring. It is made for an OTA antenna.

Reactions: charlesrshell
When I had a Winegard portable dish, I still had to run the cable directly from the sat to the receiver. They just will not work thru the rv wiring. It is made for an OTA antenna.

I've seen splitters installed in peculiar places in house walls... Perhaps the RV industry thinks that is a good idea as well.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Most RV's nowadays have a dedicated satellite coax in addition to the one for antenna/cable. The Tailgator still wouldn't work through it on mine.

So I purchased a Pathway X2 thinking that the larger dish would pick up the 129 bird better. Obtained exactly the same results as with the Dish Tailgater. Talked with Dish Tech Support and was told Dish doesn't guarantee that you can connect with 129 even though you have a clear path?!? Took the X2 back, will continue my quest to learn more about dish network, satellites, Wally receivers, and the Dish Tailgater antenna. I'm beginning to think I should have stayed with SD programming and DirecTV.

So I purchased a Pathway X2 thinking that the larger dish would pick up the 129 bird better. Obtained exactly the same results as with the Dish Tailgater. Talked with Dish Tech Support and was told Dish doesn't guarantee that you can connect with 129 even though you have a clear path?!? Took the X2 back, will continue my quest to learn more about dish network, satellites, Wally receivers, and the Dish Tailgater antenna. I'm beginning to think I should have stayed with SD programming and DirecTV.

The X2 also gets the eastern arc, did you try that?

Don't feel bad because DirecTV is supposedly doing away with their SD receivers sometime next year.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)