No TV2 Output on Vip222k??

The TV is a Magnavox MF337b/27... In the autoprogram menu it says it will search for available analog and digital channels however I cannot find anything that mentions an analog tuner..

It does have RCA inputs so those just might be my solution.

According to my Googling of that model, it does have both NTSC (analog) and ATSC (digital) tuners. Something must be wrong with that 222's RF output, or your cabling between receiver and TV. A/V cables should also work. The VCR might also work to convert the RF output if present. But if the RF output is working, then why can't the TV tune to it? Do you have another TV to try?

apparently there's 3 different model tvs with similar model numbers... Mine is a 19mf337b/27 which according to the magnavox website has only a digital tuner, while the other two options have both analog and digital tuners... My primary might have an analog tuner, so i'll try that one right now to at least verify that the home distribution output on the receiver works...

okay ran a coax to my primary tv and ran autoprogram. it quickly learned two channels (50 and 60) and works flawlessly through the TV2 output via coax. The picture is horrible but I'm okay with that as the secondary TV is too small to even matter.

Well I'm glad to find out that there is nothing wrong with the box. Now I just need to run some new cables in the attic.

Thanks for the help!! I had no idea that the receiver only broadcasts in analog. What a weird setup.

defaz said:
I would be happy even just getting signal from the TV1 output as I can't physically watch both TVs at the same time... I just dont know how I could have made a mistake hooking this up. I mean, it's just a coax cable!

If that's the case, why not run component cables to your second tv and get an hd signal to both tvs?

Dish had one model with an ATSC modulator (Dish 6000?) but it was discontinued possibly due to copyright concerns. Plus Dish changed all HD broadcasts to mpeg-4, while all ATSC transmissions are mpeg-2, making such a modulator impractical and costly to implement in today's receivers.

Note that if you are right and your Magnavox has no NTSC tuner, then your new cable run better not be another coax!

I second that.

As to weird, it gets moreso. ATSC tuner outputs over coax are fought tooth and nail by providers fearful that "in the clear" digital signals will be immediately put on the internet, cutting their sales and profits.

It's a dilemma.

PS- TheKrell beat me to it. ATSC OTA is all MPEG-2, which I believe is always included in MPEG-4 chipsets, but would require conversion, as noted. By the time ATSC OTA is updated to include MPEG-4 or other options, OTA may be dead, now that we know of the hostility the FCC has for it. Destroying HD by requiring multi-channel multi-casting will end OTA as we know it, and quickly.

Anyone having similar problems should certainly try the cable channel option.

By the time ATSC OTA is updated to include MPEG-4 or other options, OTA may be dead, now that we know of the hostility the FCC has for it. Destroying HD by requiring multi-channel multi-casting will end OTA as we know it, and quickly.
Apparently I need educating. :confused: What exactly are you talking about?

i find it very hard to believe that the tv cant catch the signal through a direct output from home distribution, no matter what model tv it is. unless it is not adirect run, or you are going through the tv menu setup incorrecly,
something else must be wrong.

dual or single mode does not matter at all, you should still get a picture. to test, simply run the coax straight from the home distribution into tv1. see if it works on that tv.

okay ran a coax to my primary tv and ran autoprogram. it quickly learned two channels (50 and 60) and works flawlessly through the TV2 output via coax. The picture is horrible but I'm okay with that as the secondary TV is too small to even matter.

Well I'm glad to find out that there is nothing wrong with the box. Now I just need to run some new cables in the attic.

Thanks for the help!! I had no idea that the receiver only broadcasts in analog. What a weird setup.

If your picture is horrible with such a reasonable connection , than something is wrong with the Home Distribution output. I had the exact same problem with a 222K of mine: really snowy PQ for no good reason. I RMA'd it, and the replacement worked fine.

Dish is aware of Home Distribution being either easily shorted (it can happen to any of the other F-type connections as well) or sometimes not outputting at sufficient strength.

I've got my aunt and uncles's Home Distribution output running through diplexers (a decrease in signal strength is a result) and from the one end of their house all the way to the very other end of the house to the TV in the bedroom and the PQ is as good as one could dream with NTSC: very watchable and they are "impressed" with their bedroom PQ. I know, but they are happy with it. I've got extremely complex and long cable runs in my house for my Home Distribution (12 channels and not amplified as well as I could) and the PQ is good in all rooms of the house. You should not be having such problems as you are experiencing.

Others on this forum have mentioned problems with Home Distribution output that required RMA. Getting my uncle's RMA's was EASY; no big questions, they accepted that I had done all the troubleshooting and sent a replacement out right away. It took less than 3 minutes to be approved. Good luck.

Last edited:
If that's the case, why not run component cables to your second tv and get an hd signal to both tvs?
While he'd get HD, he'd have to operate in Single Mode and view the same programming at both sets. May or may not be a problem. :)

In reply to my post:
By the time ATSC OTA is updated to include MPEG-4 or other options, OTA may be dead, now that we know of the hostility the FCC has for it. Destroying HD by requiring multi-channel multi-casting will end OTA as we know it, and quickly.

the following was posted:
Apparently I need educating. :confused: What exactly are you talking about?

The FCC is pursuing a proposal to "reclaim" more spectrum for "other uses" by forcing OTA stations to consolidate onto fewer broadcast channels. IOW, the spectrum previously used by analog channel 9 might have 4 or more subchannels, broadcasting channel 4,7, 9 and 13. And there are other schemes, some of which might make current tuners obsolete. Hard to believe they'd do that, but maybe the real goal is to kill OTA. I'm pretty sure that stuff was posted on this site.

We have a station around here with TEN subchannels!

SaltiDawg said:
While he'd get HD, he'd have to operate in Single Mode and view the same programming at both sets. May or may not be a problem. :)

He said he could only watch on tv at a time anyway which is why I suggested this.

And there are other schemes, some of which might make current tuners obsolete. Hard to believe they'd do that...

We have a station around here with TEN subchannels!
Indeed, I find that so hard to believe I don't think it will ever happen. The FCC is not going to make all ATSC tuners obsolete so soon after the digital transition. Reclaiming a few more channels I can "see".

As for WVNC/WVNT, the 10 subchannels are all SD and spread over two broadcast channels. So it's not as horribly compressed as we might think. ;)

As for WVNC/WVNT, the 10 subchannels are all SD and spread over two broadcast channels. So it's not as horribly compressed as we might think. ;)

For a major Network station I would think they'd be hard pressed to find meaningful programming to occupy 10 sub-channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)