NOG/N -NickG

Juan

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
Looks like the EPG shows all channels normally after Jan. 1. In other words Nick Games is stil on the air and Noggin/N still share a channel

It doesn't work that way. The EPG, that is. Isn't it fed by a service from Tribune? As long as that channel is programmed as "Nick Gas", it's going to show the data for Nick Gas.

Back when the channels were SUPPOSED to split, the Nick Gas EPG data never changed, but the Noggin EPG stopped showing The N programming. The guide was wrong for a while in the evenings. I guess they probably had to make the service create a special split data feed.

Unless Wikipedia and a few other sources are mistaken, Dish will at the very least lose Nickelodeon Games & Sports on January 1st. Hopefully, that means that it will be replaced with a 24/7 The N. I did think that Nick GAS was folding, regardless of Dish Network's contract, in January though.

I bet you that after Jan 1st Nick GAS will still be on and Noggin/N will still be on the same channel. I just wish that waste GAS would go away. N shows the best programs during the day. At night when we get it its all Degrassi garbage.

There was a time when Nick GAS was a worthwhile channel - they aired reruns of the old Double Dare series, Finders Keepers, and other gems. Eventually Viacom gave up on the channel and put it on automation. At this point it's really not even worth the bandwidth.

I think the reason that the split has not happened yet is because the current contract does not allow it. We will probably see the channel split happen the same Nick and the other Viacom channels in HD.

From the Gas website under get gas:

So how do you get GAS?

GAS is already available in millions of homes across the country through local cable providers and the DISH Network satellite system. And GAS is spreading all the time.

If you can't get GAS where you live, contact your cable company and ask them to get in game and start offering GAS. It's time to play ball.

This issue is no longer as near and dear to me as it once was. The problem is that ever since The N got its own channel, Nickelodeon increasingly programs it as "Nick 3" - often with the same exact shows (minus what is shown on NickJr/Noggin) that can be found on Nick & Nick Too (or Nick & Nick West).

I don't understand why they spun off The N, then apparently decided to cut back on most of the programming that didn't already air on Nick (except, of course, endless marathons of Degrassi).
It seemed like now that they had 24 hours for The N, they could really expand and import some other international shows. I know that many would love it if they ran a "Classic Nick" block, even if it was an hour at 3 AM or something, that would be fine in the age of PVR.

Does anyone know if the 24 hour Noggin went back to showing old Sesame Street/Electric Company reruns late at night? Those were fun when stricken with insomnia.

I understand the point of a 24 hour "The N", but not Noggin. Running those old kids shows was a great way to fill the time without going off-genre.

So how do you get GAS?

GAS is already available in millions of homes across the country through local cable providers and the DISH Network satellite system. And GAS is spreading all the time.

If you can't get GAS where you live, contact your cable company and ask them to get in game and start offering GAS. It's time to play ball.

I don't think this is available on ANY cable systems. Viacom WANTS to kill Gas, not "spread" it. It's only supposed to exist on the internet.

The whole issue with DISH- I'm pretty sure- is that GAS and Noggin were on different tiers. It's not as simple as just replacing the feed. I'm betting Viacom were trying to force them to put "The N" on the lower tier, instead of the top tier Gas was on.

OR, even if Viacom didn't care if "The N" was on the top tier, DISH didn't want to deal with complaint calls about "why don't we get Degrassi anymore?"

This is just my opinion, but I would totally bet this is the case. It's not that Charlie loves GAS so much he won't let it go. I bet Charlie would LOVE for a bunch of low level channels to go out of business and void their contracts. He just doesn't want to be forced to replace them with something else.

This is just retarded... all my 2 and 3 yr old kids want is to watch Noggin when they go to bed to help them go to sleep... and Dish can't help me!!! My contract is up soon... looks like I'm looking elsewhere.

In February... and then its off to someone else who can give my kids what they want... and what everyone OTHER than Dish seems to be able to do...

Doogie, my point was...it should be taken care of soon.

Why would it "look like you're looking elsewhere" if the date things are supposed to change hasn't even passed yet? Give it until...well, I'd say the Jan 7th uplink just to be safe. If it's not taken care of by then, complain away.

This board is full of negative-jump-to-conclusion types. There are plenty of legitimate things to bitch about without making things up.

yeah, well... I was told that LAST Jan 2008 I'd have Noggin 24/7 on Dish... call me a skeptic.

I think the reason that the split has not happened yet is because the current contract does not allow it. We will probably see the channel split happen the same Nick and the other Viacom channels in HD.

The contracts wouldn't be up until March. I doubt it will go that long.

I'm betting they've got everything squared with Viacom. 7 HD temp channels pop up, along with an SD test channel. It could very easily be the current 5 HD Viacoms, plus Comedy Central and BET, plus Logo for the SD channel. Those are probably being held until the price increases take effect, or maybe they were just trying to keep them from the current HD Absolutes. (Or waiting for Ciel-2, even though they don't need to.)

But that doesn't mean they would need to wait for the Noggin split. It could have been an issue of "Look, we're killing Nick GAS on the 1st, you can broadcast a blank screen if you want, but it won't be available to you."

So how do you get GAS?

I don't need cable or satellite to get GAS, it all depends on what I eat :)

(sorry, having a boring morning @ work)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts