Non standard configuration

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SatelliteMike

Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
Northern Kentucky
I have to add a surveillance feed into an 6 box installation that includes 722K/222K/222K. Customer switched from Direct TV, and the feed was on the VHF/UHF input on a 5 x 8 multi-switch. Customer surveillance system travels on channel 65, and customer wants to have it on all 6 TV's. With all the double diplexers and splitters required to add into Dish system, I'm suspecting significant signal degradation at both TV1 and TV2 on all 3 receivers. I'm looking for a simpler solution, but haven't been looking at the newer technology, so thought I'd see what others would suggest.
Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

Using a lower channel on the modulator will reduce signal loss. Adding a signal amplifier will offset the loss. DISH dosen't have any elegant NTSC signal distribution solutions.

DISH dosen't have any elegant NTSC signal distribution solutions.
Using a quality four-way splitter (joiner) and a DA is probably the best solution. The DA avoids a couple of points of insertion loss.

DIRECTV's current "elegant solution" is to recommend against diplexing altogether.

Thanks folks, both options good ones. Surveillance feed from signal translator is limited to channels 61 - 70, so lower channel options null; I neglected to specify the need for a clean insertion to complement the rest of the equipment in the mechanical room. I'm thinking the addition of 3 OTA modules to the receivers, using the existing Direct TV multi switch as a splitter with a direct feed to the OTA units in the receivers. Had I been able to get on-line earlier, I might have been found out about an OTA unit available for the 222K/722K receivers. Thanks for the input, time to try out this option. I'll post the results after the install is finished. Can we post pictures?

... I'll post the results after the install is finished. ...
Yes, please do! I am planning a new installation and will be doing the same thing. I thought that it would be easy by just using an analog frequency agile multi-channel modulator and inserting the new home-made channels along with the OTA antenna feed to the OTA tuners. I have since learned that the OTA tuners on the 722K are digital only so it's back to the drawing boards!

Please allow one newbie to welcome another newbie. Fear not, the natives are friendly! There are a LOT of really GREAT folks 'round here!

Thanks folks, both options good ones. Surveillance feed from signal translator is limited to channels 61 - 70, so lower channel options null; I neglected to specify the need for a clean insertion to complement the rest of the equipment in the mechanical room. I'm thinking the addition of 3 OTA modules to the receivers, using the existing Direct TV multi switch as a splitter with a direct feed to the OTA units in the receivers. Had I been able to get on-line earlier, I might have been found out about an OTA unit available for the 222K/722K receivers. Thanks for the input, time to try out this option. I'll post the results after the install is finished. Can we post pictures?

You're going to have to get the security system channel (ntsc/rf/analog) to the rf/ant/cable input of each TV. The OTA module won't decode this sort of signal (or QAM for that matter), only off-air digital.

You also need to be sure each of the TV's can tune ntsc/rf/analog. The D* setup would have involved a diplexer at each TV, so chances are they do.
The 5x8 was acting as a "hub" diplexer of sorts - diplexing the uhf/vhf signal on to each of the 8 receiver outputs.

Since diplexers were working before, they should with E*, too. Get rid of the existing multiswitch. Split the security feed with a 3-way balanced splitter (check, many aren't balanced) Each output into a diplexer along with the sat cable. Single output of diplexer to receiver, into diplexer there. One output to TV's ant/cable input, the other to a dpp separator then to the two reciever sat inputs.

If the security signal ends up being too low, a small drop-amp placed before the 3-way splitter should do the trick. Inexpensive and relatively noise-free.
You may need to attenuate the input to the amp if the security signal overloads the amp's output.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "clean insertion to complement the rest of the equipment in the mechanical room" unless you simply mean "neat and tidy".

How to you get TV2 output from each receiver to the TVs? Do you want the TV1/2 signals from each available on multiple sets? If so, it's a bit more complicated but quite doable.

Mark

Last edited:
Depending on how many coax cables you have running to each receiver location (or can add) my first choice would be to eliminate the diplexers and use a dedicated cable from the 3-way splitter to the ant/cable in on the TV.

If you use a dedicated cable from the receiver to TV2, you should be able to split the security coax (after the diplexer if used) then a 2-way splitter/combiner to join it and the TV2 signal from the receiver.

I'm thinking the addition of 3 OTA modules to the receivers, using the existing Direct TV multi switch as a splitter with a direct feed to the OTA units in the receivers.
I'd recommend against tinkering with the 5X8 multiswitch. The multiswitch is not a passive device. I question its ability to function without power and the wisdom of using an 8-way splitter where less is needed.

OK, final result was using 2 each 4-in/1-out splitters, one taking the feed from all three of the diplexer TV2 outputs AND the modified output of security cameras, now using AIR channel 65, feeding the total output to an identical 4-in/1-out splitter and sending the signal to all three TV2 locations and using the last output into a 3 way splitter, fed that output directly into two TV1 tv's via RG6. Receiver feed to each of these TV1's is currently HDMI. TV2 channels were changed, we're using 60, 62, and 69 for the TV2 feeds, and air 65 for the security feed. Used auto programming, then deleted wrong channels from each TV2 location. TV1 solution was easier, ran new cabling to 2 of the three locations as a direct feed to the tv's, and customer decided he really didn't want the feed into the theater (third TV1 location) as it would give the kids early warning to dash if they were in there without permission.
Thanks for all the options, glad to get a view from outside the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts