Noob help

case-a-kill

Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
This might be very stupid but i have to dvr 510 and i also have a 301 my question would be how can i hook up the 301 to the 510? i know it has the cable input but how would i be able to switch over to that input please help out a noob... another question how can i send 2 feed through one cable just redid the siding and there is no way in HE!! im going to drill into that :) thanks crap i stuck it in the wrong spor i wont move or duble post but im srry (need more sleep)

You're in the right forum - but I really have no idea what your objective is.

There's no advantage to hooking a 301 up to a 510 unless you're TOTALLY out of jacks on the TV.

If (as I suspect?) you want to share the satellite feed between the two boxes, you're outta luck. Ain't gonna happen - unless you have a single satellite setup - which typically only happens in Alaska.

ok i just wonted to simplify it so i wouldnt have to change between stuff on tv and i wont to take to differant feeds and send them trough one cable, possible?

You CANNOT have 2 receivers worth of satellite signals on 1 cable. This ONLY works with the dual tuner receivers, ie. 322/522/625/721/921/942. You will have to run a SEPERATE line to EACH receiver.

ok so if i upgrade to the 522 i can forget about trying to hook up the recievers together and also be able to have both feeds in one cable is that right i would also like to know what is the max number of recieving lines for a house becuase it would be... (2=living room 3 or 4=bedroom and 1=office) 6 or 7 lines iam i still under the max number

A dishpro dish can handle up to 24 receivers and a total of 48 tuners. I have no idea what you are asking about other than yes, you would want to replace the 301/510 with a 522 if you only want to use 1 wire.

case-a-kill said:
srry about my typing im used to cs( counter strike) i dont use periods or anything else, once again srry!
OK, but maybe you will find that proper typing is a useful skill in the REAL world. :D

Picky, picky.

I think an upgrade to a 522 will solve your needs, watch two different shows on one TV.. so while one's recording you can watch the other.

Or.. split the output of your 301. One into that TV, the other into a diplexor that feeds the input down the cable. Where your two cables meet for your satellite feeds, place another diplexor in line seperating the output and feed it into another diplexor in the 510's satellite line, sending it "downriver" to the rcvr. Behind the rcvr, use another diplexor to split the output. One line goes into your "Antenna, off air" port, the other into your satellite in port.

Shut your 510 off (the timers will still fire and record) and you'll be able to see a mirror of your 301. You'll have to change the channel in the other room though.

case-a-kill said:
ok so if i upgrade to the 522 i can forget about trying to hook up the recievers together and also be able to have both feeds in one cable is that right i would also like to know what is the max number of recieving lines for a house becuase it would be... (2=living room 3 or 4=bedroom and 1=office) 6 or 7 lines iam i still under the max number
To run one coax from dish to a dual tuner receiver you'll need a separator but that will only work with the dishpro plus series LNB or a DP+44 switch. Also I believe the separator only works with dual tuner units (322, 522, 625, 921, 942) and not two separate receivers.
Not sure about your second comment concerning the 8 room maximum. If you only have one coax going from your dish into your house then your limit is one (single or dual) receiver. You may run the RF output from your receiver to multiple TVs using a coupler or distribution amp but all TVs will receive the same channel.

jergenf said:
Also I believe the separator only works with dual tuner units (322, 522, 625, 921, 942) and not two separate receivers.
100% correct.

At a minimum, each separate receiver requires it's own dedicated feed cable.

With the right DPPlus gear, two tuners in the same box can share that cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)