noob question - have mercy please

dendox

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
San Antonio, TX
I tried to search for it, but I am getting a ton of information that makes no sense to me. I am tired of TW and looking to go satellite. I am pretty sure that I want to go Dish, but I was hoping maybe you guys could help me make sure this is the right decision. I was also hoping you could tell me what exactly I need to ask for equipment wise when I call (want to make sure that I get everything I need). The satellite lingo is something that I will not be able to grasp completely for a few weeks (reading this message board is my first task).

I live in San Antonio. I am looking for HD package, NFL Network, Locals (in HD), sports pack, and I think that is it. Is the HD Silver or Gold package what I need? I don't want or need any movie channels. Are the locals in HD here (pretty sure I saw a thread that said they were)? I want a dvr (not sure if I want the HD DVR, or a HD box and a DVR in the bed room).

Thoughts? What equipment do I need to make sure I get? Is it all mpeg -4 (not sure I am using that term correclty, but I am afraid that I will get some old outdated technology) ?

Any advice for this noob would be greatly appreciated. If I missed something by using the SEARCH button I am sorry. I just don't understand all of the lingo yet.

Thanks again.

All HD locals are MPEG4, so you'll need the ViP211, 411 or 622. The 622 is the ONLY HD DVR Dish has at present. Non-HD DVR's are 510, 522, 625. 510 has one tuner, 522 and 625 have 2 tuners.

If you want to service two locations you can use the 622 alone (one HDTV and one SDTV) or the 211 (HD) in combination with an SD DVR (625,522,510). I'm not sure the 510 is any longer available.

If you add an SD DVR to the system, it will not be able to see any HD content, but you can get analog locals on it.

As far as HD content goes, it is not all MPEG4, but all the locals in HD are MPEG4 as well as NFLHD. Dish will not activate a non-MPEG4 receiver (811,921,942) for HD reception on an account that does not already have HD service, so you must have at least one MPEG4 receiver (211,411,622).

I hope this cleared up some of your questions.

It cleared up a lot. I appreciate it. My main concern was to make sure I got what I need to do what I want, and to make sure that I did not get gear that would be obsolete within a few months.

I appreciate anymore thoughts you all may have.

Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)