Normal Signal Strength for 322?

Dodge Ram Nut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Mizzourah
Hi there! I was over at a friends house who has 322 with E*. I am a fellow who has E* as well with 501's and 301's. He was complaining to me that his 322 signal "picture" keeps dropping out. He is EXCELLENT with electric wires...hardware and stuff but a total newbie at "rg6 cables and what ya call it?" I did a signal strength check and it showed both tuners averaging out at around 65 to 70. There was a message saying new signal meter software and strength probably will be lower or something to the effect of that. Is 65 to 70 normal? His picture dropped out a dozen times when I was over tonight for like 3 or 4 hours. I told him if it keeps dropping out until Sunday, we would have to do a re-aim. I told him my 501s and 301s get 120 solid every day, but with this new "signal meter(?) msg" it might be lower and I told him I'd ask you guys.

Anyway...is 65 to 70 normal for a 322? No trees in sight..clear as day line of sight. I'll wait for you guys to chime in before Sunday.

Thanks again!

Depending on the transponder and satellite, I've found the mid 60s for the 110 and high 60s/low 70s on the 119 to be very good with the new point scale.

I know it depends on the area of the country you're in. But my general rule of thumb has been, "add 35 points to the new scale to get the old scale".

When I was over..I checked transponder 18 and a few others for both tuners. The signal was around 65 to 73 in most cases, BUT the signal would either be on or off. Picture would be on and then get sat signal lost message. There almost was no good continous lock. It would be like 70...then boom ZERO for a few min then back to 65 and so on. There wasn't really any signal decreasing. It just was "on and off". Do you think I should try to re-aim or not? If you think my friend should set up a trouble call..he will most definately do that .

He probably has a bad connector/wire somewhere ... I don't think you need to realign the dish.

Might be a bad connection, but it sounds like a bad LNB to me. Does he have a Superdish? Sounds just like what it would do when the LNB started to go.

He actually has Dish 500 with 110/119. Where the cables come in..(antenna and dish and C band) he's has it split 500 ways (not really..but you know what I mean) and he has this huge huge entertainment center with enough cable/splitters/diplexers in the back even a BUG couldn't safely fly through. I DID tell him I thought it could be bad connection or LNB. He wanted me to come over to help troubleshoot..but if you think it'll be a bad connection or LNB is goin bad..then I AINT touchin it. No need to ruin my azz if we take it down and are unable to get it back up. The problem just started a few days ago (that's what he says). Would it be a fee based trouble call or what? I THINK he is under the DHP(?) plan. Would that help him? I'm gettin the sinkin feeling I don't wanna touch this one. Whatcha think?

When I was over..I checked transponder 18 and a few others for both tuners. The signal was around 65 to 73 in most cases, BUT the signal would either be on or off. Picture would be on and then get sat signal lost message. There almost was no good continous lock. It would be like 70...then boom ZERO for a few min then back to 65 and so on. There wasn't really any signal decreasing. It just was "on and off". Do you think I should try to re-aim or not? If you think my friend should set up a trouble call..he will most definately do that .
The issue is not signal strength. There is a problem with a piece of hardware. At this point a call to Dish for a technician is in order. The sigs on the modified meter are good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts