Not your typical Dish Mover question

SoonerSteve

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
San Antonio, TX
I am hoping the SatGuys hive mind has an idea of how to make this work. Here is the scenario:

I got divorced earlier this year and she got the goldmine (house) and I got the shaft (apartment). Dish customer for 7 years and loved the service. The Dish account was tied to my SSN and the only way to transfer completely to her name would have been to cancel under my name and start a new account under her SSN. I was still using the Sling functionality of the 922 to catch up on shows so I left the account and all of the equipment in place. I went with TWC for the apartment and she kept Dish under my SSN.

Not surprisingly cable is horrible and the PQ is driving me crazy. I miss Dish and based on DishPointer.com I should be able to hit the birds from my patio. I want to dump cable and go back to Dish, but that means moving the service to me and having her start all over with Dish. She isn't technically inclined and the idea of her reconnecting two DVR's and replicating all of the timers is laughable. The fact that she would get a lot of aggravation while I get the perfectly configured service would definitely upset the cordial, but frosty relationship.

Any ideas on how to make her transition as easy as possible? I would be happy leaving her the 922 and 722 and paying for new units for myself, but that would require transferring the devices between accounts and doesn't seem possible. Any suggestions you might have on this are greatly appreciated.

If you think that your ex wife it not going to ruin your credit, you just have to start a new account with your name and ss. I don't see the problem in having 2 accounts. If you buy your own equipment you don't have to get in a commitment.

I agree with holy_devil, I moved years ago but didn't want to use Dish Mover because I was going back and forth between houses getting the old house worked on and I didn't want to terminate my service at the old house just yet. So I just opened up a new account at the new address no problem. Then I just cancelled the old account when I was done with it. Yes, I needed a new 2-year agreement, but that was worth it to me.

If it were me I would do a DishMover to my new place and make her sign up under her name. It's really the best way to do it so everyone has their own account and equipment.

Let her decide what she wants. I'm guessing she has broadband already (or you wouldn't be slinging) so maybe bundling cable would meet her needs.

I would certainly suggest doing a mover if you plan on staying with DISH. Anything else and you're going to have to surrender the ViP922 (or pay enough to replace it if you DIY the mover).

The idea of her learning new channel numbers and new equipment is out of the question. I once moved from Dish, to Cable to Directv in 30 days trying to find the best provider at the time and I thought she was going to kill me. Even the Directv experiment didn't last long because she couldn't keep the channel numbers straight.

The idea of having both accounts in my name is intriguing. I did not think of that. I will try and sell her first on her own account by offering to set up timers and reconnect the theater equipment. She never uses the 922 for anything other than a plain DVR so she can save some money by going back to a 722.

Thanks, guys.

SoonerSteve said:
The idea of her learning new channel numbers and new equipment is out of the question. I once moved from Dish, to Cable to Directv in 30 days trying to find the best provider at the time and I thought she was going to kill me. Even the Directv experiment didn't last long because she couldn't keep the channel numbers straight.

The idea of having both accounts in my name is intriguing. I did not think of that. I will try and sell her first on her own account by offering to set up timers and reconnect the theater equipment. She never uses the 922 for anything other than a plain DVR so she can save some money by going back to a 722.

Thanks, guys.

Its your life and your credit rating but in all honesty a clean break is probably best.
Good luck

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I am hoping the SatGuys hive mind has an idea of how to make this work. Here is the scenario:

I got divorced earlier this year and she got the goldmine (house) and I got the shaft (apartment). Dish customer for 7 years and loved the service. The Dish account was tied to my SSN and the only way to transfer completely to her name would have been to cancel under my name and start a new account under her SSN. I was still using the Sling functionality of the 922 to catch up on shows so I left the account and all of the equipment in place. I went with TWC for the apartment and she kept Dish under my SSN.

Not surprisingly cable is horrible and the PQ is driving me crazy. I miss Dish and based on DishPointer.com I should be able to hit the birds from my patio. I want to dump cable and go back to Dish, but that means moving the service to me and having her start all over with Dish. She isn't technically inclined and the idea of her reconnecting two DVR's and replicating all of the timers is laughable. The fact that she would get a lot of aggravation while I get the perfectly configured service would definitely upset the cordial, but frosty relationship.

Any ideas on how to make her transition as easy as possible? I would be happy leaving her the 922 and 722 and paying for new units for myself, but that would require transferring the devices between accounts and doesn't seem possible. Any suggestions you might have on this are greatly appreciated.

The 20.0, 21.0, and the 32.0 remotes are Two-Way remotes that are compatible with the 222k, 722k, and 922 receivers.Two-Way allows the user to backup and restore receiver and remote settings. So if you were to have your services transferred to your appartment you could use the 2 way remotes to transfer the timers from your 922 to another 922, or 722k. This might make it easier for the transition. If she is worried about losing recordings that are already saved on the equipment you can connect an EHD to transfer the recordings. If you need any additional information please feel free to send me a PM.