Novice Troubleshooting

cloverboy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Sorry for the novice question, but I've only had Dish for about a year, and need some advice before I call for service.

I have a 522 DVR, and during the last month or so, have had some problems with some channels. Many of the channels when I turn to them, the screen stays black for about five seconds, then a screen saying "Aquiring Satellite Signal"
for satellite 110, then the transponders change, it goes through 1 of 5 steps, then the channel comes in. This only happens on certain channels. Then while watching a program, that same screen comes up, or the picture breaks up and makes a squelching noise.

When I check the signal strength for 110, it gives about a 50-60 rating sometimes it doesn't even lock on.

Is my dish off a bit and can I fix this myself?????

As a side note, if the dish does need to be adjusted, (this may sound weird) but is there anyplace on the dish or mast I shouldn't touch lest I be electrocuted??!!

Sorry this sounds novice, but I'd like to fix this myself. Any suggestions appreciated. As would saving my a** from being char-broiled!!

Thanks
Cloverboy

you will not be shocked by the dish. you do have a low signal on 110 sat. you can adjust this yourself if you feel comfortable, but a service tech is your best bet.

later

Only adjust one parameter at a time. Peak for azimuth, tighten, then peak for altitude, and tighten.

Start by NOT loosening ANY bolts.

First check that your line of sight is still good - any trees that are leafing out?

Nudge the dish with finger pressure and hold while someone yells numbers to you.

Note that it takes 2-3 seconds for the receiver to respond.

Do this for all four directions, and you'll have a good idea what to do next.

Check that the mast is plumb in all directions, too. One of the most common issues is that the foot bolts will work loose, causing a shift. If the mast is not plumb, try nudging in that direction first.

Note that moving the dish WILL affect your 119 signal, too. Hopefully, in a good way. If the dish was installed correctly in the first place, the skew has not likely changed, and a SMALL bit of azimuth or elevation correction will fix everything.

Use transponder 11 on both birds as your benchmark. It used to be 11 & 12 (with 12 being a cross-check), but now that there's a lot more spotbeams, that doesn't work any more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)