Now that Cuban and D* have settled on HDNET

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
When is it we have to sign up for the $4.99 HD pack by, 12-15?
I wouldnt be suprised if you don't have to sign up. If you are getting the channels now I bet they will just slap another charge on your bill and not even tell you.

I wouldnt be suprised if you don't have to sign up. If you are getting the channels now I bet they will just slap another charge on your bill and not even tell you.

Why is that mr vurbano? Is DirectV known for illegal business practices? Do they have a history of illegal business practices?

I thought you were gonna cut D* a break when they "finally deliver on their HD promise" What do you have against D* now?

Why is that mr vurbano?
Because you are already subscribed to the channels.

Is DirectV known for illegal business practices? Do they have a history of illegal business practices?
Well, they did settle out of court with Cuban.

And besides the occasional false ad or illegal prosecution of an innocent customer for piracy there is this beauty

Ask The Consumerists: A DirecTV Cancellation Conundrum
A DirecTV Cancellation Conundrum

headintvset.jpg

Reader Dito has a DirecTV riddle.
Let's say you break your DirecTV box. You try to use an old from your basement but it won't work with the new card. The DirecTV rep sends you out a new one for free and it works. Happy story, right?
So then when you move and try to cancel service to try out Comcast, you're told you'll be assessed a $125 "early termination fee," even though you've been a customer for six years.
Turns out that when you got the new box, it automatically enrolled you in a new 12-month service plan. "It goes without saying that no one told me "if we send you a new box, we own your soul for a full year," writes Dito.
Does Dito have a valid claim? How we he go about embarking on a dispute process? Let us know your thoughts in the comments. — BEN POPKEN

I thought you were gonna cut D* a break when they "finally deliver on their HD promise" What do you have against D* now?
When did they do that? My mpeg2 channels still SUCK!!! And my DMA 43 HDLIL's still do not exist.

Last edited:

I recall someone over on AVS wondering the same thing and was told over the phone by a D* rep there was no need to sign up, you would be signed up automatically and the charges would show up on your bill.

Why is that mr vurbano? Is DirectV known for illegal business practices? Do they have a history of illegal business practices?

I agree with V, I think they may do a Opt out instead of an Opt in for the package.

I already paid my December bill and signed up for the extra pack a few days later. After doing so, the web site said I would get the first three months free (I had assumed that the free months were the "free until 12/15" period. but the "activity since last bill" page shows it as added with a charge of $0.00), so it shouldn't cost me anything until March. That sounds like "opt in" to me.

I already paid my December bill and signed up for the extra pack a few days later. After doing so, the web site said I would get the first three months free (I had assumed that the free months were the "free until 12/15" period. but the "activity since last bill" page shows it as added with a charge of $0.00), so it shouldn't cost me anything until March. That sounds like "opt in" to me.
It is an opt in subscription. Earl at dbstalk has confirmed with his contacts from DirecTV the channels will be removed on 12/15 unless you subscribe to the HD Extra Pack.

Does this make it the only channel in the extra pack that is MPEG2? It would be nice to see everything with the same PQ as the new MPEG4 channels.

It is an opt in subscription. Earl at dbstalk has confirmed with his contacts from DirecTV the channels will be removed on 12/15 unless you subscribe to the HD Extra Pack.
So, is D* ready to have a bunch of people calling thier centers about ADDING the pack or asking about why they are MISSING channels that they previously got ?

Jimbo

So, is D* ready to have a bunch of people calling thier centers about ADDING the pack or asking about why they are MISSING channels that they previously got ?

Jimbo
I doubt most even know about it. WHo would ever think up such a stupid package anyway? This must be D*'s answer the the Voom package at Dish. :haha I suppose if no one signs up for it, then what? Not everyone spends their time on forums or D* website.

You mean not everyone is as whacked as you (or me!) :D
Yeah, normal hd viewers. LOL.

They watch the service, they get their bill in the mail. They pay it and then find themselves missing channels one day? Because they don't know Earl? They are not going to send out notices in the mail?

Contract for lease is broken by D*. I commited to D* for 2 years to have the HD access to get leased equipment. That contract included both HDnet channels and UniversalHD. Until the contract period ends they cannot remove any of the programing. Hence once the contract is broken they cannot collect fees for disconnecting service. Therefore in 3 months if channels are removed it will be bye bye D*, Hello Dish

Contract for lease is broken by D*. I commited to D* for 2 years to have the HD access to get leased equipment. That contract included both HDnet channels and UniversalHD. Until the contract period ends they cannot remove any of the programing. Hence once the contract is broken they cannot collect fees for disconnecting service. Therefore in 3 months if channels are removed it will be bye bye D*, Hello Dish

Did you read the customer agreement that you agreeded to:

"Accordingly, we must reserve the unrestricted right to change, re-arrange, add or delete our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our prices, and any other Service we offer, at any time. We will endeavor to notify you of any change that is within our reasonable control and its effective date. In most cases, this notice will be about one month in advance. You always have the right to cancel your Service, in whole or in part, if you do not accept the change (see Section 5). If you cancel your Service, a deactivation fee (described in Sections 2 and 5(b)) or other charges may apply. Credits, if any, to your account will be posted as described in Section 5. If you do not cancel, your continued receipt of our Service will constitute acceptance."

The contract is located at DIRECTV - Customer Agreement

Since I do not receive a paper bill, it would be nice if DirecTV would at least send me some e-mail or regular snail mail, to let me know what their plans are for this new tier of service...grandfather status, price, programs etc. Opt in/out etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)