NTFS encryption

diu.steve

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
My computer's motherboard/processor bit the dust a couple months ago after 6 years of service. I was running Windows 2000 Pro with both hard drives formatted w/ NTFS. I have backups of a lot of the stuff I want off of the drives, but was not diligent enough to have backups of everything I want off of them. I will be upgrading to XP pro when I do my rebuild. I will be starting from scratch w/ a much more roomy SATA hard drive. I am wanting to hookup my old hard drives up one at a time to the single IDE port provided on the MB and transfer the files I need to the new drive. How hard is that going to be w/ the encryption of NTFS?

NTFS isn't encryption, it's security. Since XP's native file system is NFTS also, you should be able to connect the drive and access the files, provided you have the proper permissions.

NTFS isn't encryption, it's security. Since XP's native file system is NFTS also, you should be able to connect the drive and access the files, provided you have the proper permissions.

Security is really more of what I was referring to. I didn't use any special encryption on either drive. I just knew it wasn't quite as easy as hooking up a FAT32 drive in the Win98 days and immediately being able to copy.

Thanks for the reply, you answered my question.

If you are the administrator on the current machine, hooking up an unencrypted drive will work like a charm.

This is why MS now has bitlocker, whole drive encryption in Vista. It keeps one from stealing a computer and just hooking up the drive to another computer and bypassing all the passwords.

Vista may complain that you don't have permission to something, but if you are an administrator you can "take ownership" of whatever you need to get the job done.

As Mike said, unless it's truly encrypted you should have no trouble sucking the data off of an NTFS drive.

Vista may complain that you don't have permission to something, but if you are an administrator you can "take ownership" of whatever you need to get the job done.

As Mike said, unless it's truly encrypted you should have no trouble sucking the data off of an NTFS drive.

Good, I've got a lot of irreplaceable pictures of my son on their that I forgot to backup in the last 6 months. My new parts are on the way, I'm pretty stoked. Got the usual good deal from BzBoyz.com.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)