NuB Q's

Sybaris

Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Got DN installed yesterday.
2 TV's and 1 wireless tuner.
Shortly after the installer left 1 TV quit receiving.
Son-in-law who has DN came over and got it to work.
Wife had asked the installer what the telephone line out the back of the tuner was for. Said his response was vague. I've since found out that if I don't hook it up I'll get charged $5 a month.
Today neither TV is getting a signal. Wife called DN, they went throught the troubleshooting routine, still no joy. Finally the operator said that the weather might have something to do with it. It's cloudy but I'm thinkin' if an overcast sky is enough to knock this out then they shouldn't even be selling it.
I'm contemplating calling DN to have a tech come out 'cause as far as I'm concerned I've had the system less than 24hrs and it doesn't work properly so we are still in the middle of an install. One of the remotes isn't working either and I hate where they put the dish.

Checked all the connections just to be sure. Nothing is different from yesterday. Are there any built in "faults" that DN practices to get a tech visit and charge you out the wazoo for?

What is a wireless tuner?

you have a 90 day warrantee for your install so if they have to send someone else back out to fix a poor installation it will be covered.

Sybaris said:
Got DN installed yesterday.
2 TV's and 1 wireless tuner.
Shortly after the installer left 1 TV quit receiving.
Son-in-law who has DN came over and got it to work.
Wife had asked the installer what the telephone line out the back of the tuner was for. Said his response was vague. I've since found out that if I don't hook it up I'll get charged $5 a month.
Today neither TV is getting a signal. Wife called DN, they went throught the troubleshooting routine, still no joy. Finally the operator said that the weather might have something to do with it. It's cloudy but I'm thinkin' if an overcast sky is enough to knock this out then they shouldn't even be selling it.
I'm contemplating calling DN to have a tech come out 'cause as far as I'm concerned I've had the system less than 24hrs and it doesn't work properly so we are still in the middle of an install. One of the remotes isn't working either and I hate where they put the dish.

Checked all the connections just to be sure. Nothing is different from yesterday. Are there any built in "faults" that DN practices to get a tech visit and charge you out the wazoo for?

Plugging in the phone line qualifies you for a $5 rebate / mnth if connected to a dual tuner. :) Actually it avoids an additional $5 outlet fee.

As far as where they put the dish, all that should have been covered during the site survey - pre install and paperwork should have been signed off. If your wife okay'd it, that pretty much ends the discussion.

The remote, you mean you can't change channels on Dish Network or do you mean being able to operate the volume on your tv? Keep in mind very few combo units (tv/dvd/vcr) will program to the remotes. Not all tv's will program to the remotes either.

If you mean the remote won't change channels on the reciever, perhaps all you need to do is put a jumper on the antenna to extend the range.

It's possible you could have defective equipment or you dish may not have been tightened down properly and the dish has shifted since.

When you run checkswitch does have say anything like 119 NC, or 110 NC?

Now as far as coming back, no you have a 90 installation warranty. There is no charge to you.

rcdallas said:
Plugging in the phone line qualifies you for a $5 rebate / mnth if connected to a dual tuner. :) ............

roger

There was no pre-install survey. They just came and set it up.
I have two Sony's. Both remotes worked fine the first day. Now one remote will work with both TV's. The second won't do anything except turn on the tuner.
On the screen it says that it's searching for the signal and runs through various xponders.
Saw the 90 day warranty on the back of the install pink slip.

Sybaris - I'd just call E* tech support and get them working on it, which might mean the installer will need to come back again. As others have said, that won't cost you anything during the warranty period. If you can call E* while you're there with your equipment, they might very well be able to talk you through some steps that might work (like re-running the checkswitch, etc.) that could obviate the installer coming back.

If you have any concerns about things that might be "lost in translation" between your wife and the installer (that would certainly happen in my case!) then you should probably be there when the installer returns, or perhaps your wife can call you and you can ask your questions over the phone if you can't be there.

If you have a dual tuner receiver (like a 322 or 622) then having the phone connection will eliminate E*'s standard $5/mo. "additional receiver fee" for the second tuner. That fee will still apply for any separate receivers you have. The fee does NOT apply for single tuner receivers...

Welcome, BTW...

This is another post of a good reason to buy from a Local Retailer and not some flyer with an 800# or Dish themselves. I take care of MY customers.

Tech is coming Sat or Sun. The tuner I have is the 322.
The location of the dish is not my first choice, not my second choice for that matter, but I understand there are codes and the location provides the shortest route to the house ground and according to the installer, "I have a very tight schedule today so if you don't like the location of the dish make an appointment for me to come back and move it."
Where I would like it moved would be about 50ft from house ground. Would installing two 8ft grounding rods 10ft apart and in-line arrestors suffice for ground?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)