NYC and LA HD Locals launched and available!

HokieEngineer said:
Sorry Bob, I dont. All we know is that they changed the authorization tier for the HD locals so it doesnt match the SD local tier. It seems only those who live inside the market will have access to the HD locals for now.

I do not know the reason behind the switch. Scott, would Marc be able to answer this?

I hope this isn't permanent. I was looking forward to getting my distants in HD.

Of course, I was also looking forward to actually getting a 622 on Feb. 1st as well!!:D

LionsRoar said:
Does anyone know if they have any intention of turning the feed back on for those of use with distant feeds.

This is really bad news with the NCAA tournament coming soon.

I don't think anyone know's how this is going to effect those of us who get distants via waivers. I read in another thread that the HD locals from NY are on transponders with national coverage, so that is good news. Will Dish give us the HD locals when we get the SD verison? Who knows.

Thanks John.

Like I said before, I am at work now and did not verify if I was still getting CBS HD east last night.

Just for fun, I just called Dish technical support. They also said nothing has changed with CBS HD out of NYC.

That is a relief.

I urge anyone who...

currently has east/west analog networks and has their waivers to email the CEO of dish with your fustration in them turning them off yesterday. From my understanding, the FCC does not care under the current "analog" model that is in place as long as you have your waivers. For me personally this may be the last straw in my long term relation with Dish. I will be calling my cable company today and see what they would like to do for me... I'm really p*ssed right now.. Gerry

when I added my HD programming last night, the tech CSR said the NYC and LA HD nets would premiere today and distant net people would get them without calling in.

My guess is not!

jerryez said:
when I added my HD programming last night, the tech CSR said the NYC and LA HD nets would premiere today and distant net people would get them without calling in.

jerryez, I would be very surprised if this were true. They have already turned on the NYC HD nets and then they turned them off to anyone outside the NYC DMA! I truly don't see this happening. Gerry

DISH Network Launches Local TV Stations in High Definition in Los Angeles via Satellite; DISH Network Introduces Nation's Largest Package of HD Channels

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 2, 2006--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) and its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service announced today it will launch local high definition TV channels via its satellite TV service to customers in Los Angeles and the surrounding counties. The following local TV channels will be available: ABC Ch. 7 (KABC), CBS Ch. 2 (KCBS), NBC Ch. 4 (KNBC) and FOX Ch. 11 (KTTV).

With the addition of HD locals in Los Angeles, customers can now watch Desperate Housewives on ABC, CSI on CBS, American Idol on Fox and the 2006 Winter Olympics on NBC, all in breath-taking high definition. Plus, DISH Network is offering its Los Angeles area customers Super Bowl XL in stunning HD on Sunday, Feb. 5.

Customers in Los Angeles who sign up for any of the new DishHD(TM) packages can take advantage of more than 1,700 hours of HD programming every week, including their local HD broadcasts. Cable companies, with a national average of just 10 HD channels, cannot come close to the robust lineup of DishHD. As an added bonus, new customers who sign up for DishHD through a local RadioShack retailer before Feb. 28 are eligible for next-day installation.

"The current migration toward high definition television is similar to the transition television viewers experienced when switching from black-and-white to color, and DISH Network is poised to be the HD provider of choice by delivering the most HD content available in Los Angeles," said Michael Neuman, president of EchoStar. "DISH Network is providing 'Better TV for all,' giving TV viewers in Los Angeles their local news, weather and sports as well as prime time TV in spectacular high definition."

DISH Network offers local channels via satellite to Los Angeles area customers in eight Los Angeles counties, including: Inyo, the eastern part of Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, areas in Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura.

With up to four different programming packages to choose from, DishHD customers can find an option that best fits their viewing needs. For as little as $49.99 a month, customers can access the entire DishHD lineup and get more than 70 all-digital standard definition channels and more than 23 high definition channels. Customers can add local channels in both high definition and standard definition for just $5 a month.

DISH Network is expanding its HD channel lineup in 2006 by adding five new original VOOM HD channels -- bringing the total VOOM channels to 15 -- as well as other new HD networks, including ESPN2 HD and Universal HD. In addition, DISH Network will launch high definition local channels through its satellite service in up to 50 markets in 2006, starting with Los Angeles today and reaching more than 50 percent of U.S. TV households with local HD channels by year end.

To make this possible, DISH Network will begin transmitting newly added HD channels in MPEG4, a signal compression standard developed by MPEG (Moving Picture Experts Group). MPEG4 allows DISH Network to maximize the bandwidth available on its satellites and offer the most robust lineup of HD channels in the nation.

DISH Network also introduced a new series of satellite receivers that combine MPEG4 and MPEG2 signal capability. The cutting-edge ViP Series combines state-of-the-art imaging technology with life-like Dolby(R) Digital 5.1 surround sound for the best picture and sound quality available. Existing customers with MPEG2 equipment, such as the DISH Player DVR 942, will continue to receive all their current content and will need to upgrade to a ViP Series receiver to receive the new HD channels. DISH Network will offer a convenient upgrade package for existing customers who want to expand their HD lineup to include the new channels.

The ViP211(TM) HD satellite receiver, the first model in the ViP series that supports both MPEG4 and MPEG2, is available through DISH Network for only $49.99 for new lease customers.

Consumers can call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) or visit www.DISHNetwork.com for more information about DishHD and DISH Network.

For downloadable, print quality images of DISH Network equipment, installations or the DISH Network logo, visit www.dishnetwork.com/press.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) serves more than 12 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

MEDIA ALERT -- DISH Network will host a special press demonstration of the new DishHD channels, as well as the Los Angeles local HD channels on Thursday, Feb. 2, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Sears retail outlet in Torrance, Calif. (Del Amo Fashion Center, 2210 Hawthorne Blvd.). For more information or directions, please call Mark Cicero at 720-514-5065.

Mark Cicero, 720-514-5351 (Media Contact)
press@echostar.com

SOURCE: EchoStar Communications Corporation

Last edited:
Sorry but that press release makes me want to puke.

I suppose the temporary availability of distant east & west coast HD nets yesterday may have been the product of a technical glitch corresponding to the launch of NY & LA HD LiLs, which at worst would just be poor planning on Dish's part.

On the other hand I find it quite interresting that it happened during first day of the big promo to sell new HD programming and equipment.

This is the effect it had on me and possibly others:

After a frustrating morning of trying to get in on the 622 part of the promo without getting scalped, I gave up and was seriously considering canceling Dish altogether when I got some PMs about the east & west coast HD DNS being made available to subs receiving the SD DNS. Although this surprised me as it was contrary to what Charlie has said in the Chat and being a little sceptable I checked and confirmed through various posts that it was true. As they continued to stay on, I finally decided it might be worth giving up my HD DVR capability for a while and getting a 211 so I could watch the Superbowl this weekend plus great network shows like Lost & 24 finally in HD.

As it turned out the only options available for MPEG2 HD DVR users to get a 211 are giving up either of the upgrade paths to the 622 for a year or purchasing a 211 at full retail (almost $400), so I decided to sleep on it. The rest is history but I wonder how many additional sales Dish got durning those hours the HD DNS were available?

Just one more little straw in the pile that's slowly getting pretty heavy.

Walt, your right. I'm in similar circumstances. However, I didn't sleep on it, and instead, took the bait. I ordered a new 211 from Dish Depot. Turns out, I'm no smarter than the fish I catch!:p

I don't think that E* or D* are going to be able to offer HD DNS to other than O&O markets until the "Digital White Area" rules are clarified. That being said, it's too bad that they turned them on for a day. I seriously doubt that they did it on purpose; otherwise why not leave it on for a week? I think they realized that, technically, they were breaking FCC regs, and pulled the plug.

Speaking of O&O's, I wonder if E* will offer LA or NY locals to those markets with O&O stations at all (other than CBS, of course). Since they will soon be offering LIL's to some or all of those markets anyway, I doubt they'll do it at this point.

Brad

Bradtothebone said:
I don't think that E* or D* are going to be able to offer HD DNS to other than O&O markets until the "Digital White Area" rules are clarified. That being said, it's too bad that they turned them on for a day. I seriously doubt that they did it on purpose; otherwise why not leave it on for a week? I think they realized that, technically, they were breaking FCC regs, and pulled the plug.

Speaking of O&O's, I wonder if E* will offer LA or NY locals to those markets with O&O stations at all (other than CBS, of course). Since they will soon be offering LIL's to some or all of those markets anyway, I doubt they'll do it at this point.

Brad

D* is offering HD DNS, but in all fairness it took them a long time to get their act together.

NightRyder

I guess it's my opinion that counts.

jerryez said:
Everyone is welcome to their opinion, even you and csrs.

Got a response to my email to CEO. There will be NO distants to anyone outside of the NYC DMA at this time or in the near future...

Bradtothebone said:

Brad

It is not breaking FCC rules to offer HD distants. The FCC has already ruled that the present analog prediction models and waivers will apply. And if you were receiving distant networks on 8 Dec 2004, then you can also receive them plus your LILs. DirectTV is not out on a limb. Dish is just not being responsive to their rural customers. See attached fact sheet. View attachment FCC FACTSHEET10.pdf

ggw2000 said:
Got a response to my email to CEO. There will be NO distants to anyone outside of the NYC DMA at this time or in the near future...

So, I take it that this means that the only way I can get networks other than CBS in HD is to subscribe to network locals (I live in the LA DMA). It follows that by doing so, I will give up my SD NY DNS that I'm grandfathered into (I had to choose last year between locals and distants).

Has anyone out there that chose the SD distant network option successfully "re-up'd" their locals package and kept their grandfathered distants? If so, how did you do it - over the phone or through the web site? It seems to me that my local nets would want my eyeballs back, even if it's only part of the time and I'm sure dish would welcome the extra $5.00 a month.

I'm clinging on to any possible hope and I guess I'm somewhat in denial too.

Could any of you guys lucky enough to have MPEG 4 receivers already kindly give me the channel listings of the New York locals? CBS-HD is 9483. I need the listing for NBC-HD, ABC-HD, and FOX-HD. Thanks.

Re-uped

I went with the HD Silver pakage with locals, and I was able to keep all of my NY and LA. I only receive CBS HD from NY on 9483. :(

kcribb1 said:
I went with the HD Silver pakage with locals, and I was able to keep all of my NY and LA. I only receive CBS HD from NY on 9483. :(

Thanks for the response! May I ask what your local DMA is? I take it that you, like me, chose distants over locals last year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)