NYC channels in Bucks County, PA

PP123

Original poster
Jan 12, 2016
Bucks County, PA
I am a resident of Bucks County, PA (border of NJ and PA) and like many of my neighbors travel to NYC for work on almost a daily basis. I like to be able to get local NYC channels so I am aware of any weather related transit delays, police activity, etc etc. However, due to my closer proximity to Philly, I only get Philly locals which are of no use to me. Since I am only 60 miles south of NYC, I could technically get the local channels through a powerful over the air antenna but it may be hit or miss and a lot of hassle to erect on my roof. I also own a studio apartment in the NYC area which I rent out so do have an actual address in that area under my name. However Slignbox is not an option as the apartment is currently rented out so don’t want to inconvenience the tenant too much. My questions are:

What are my other options to get NYC locals in my area? I read that I could get Dish or Directv and change my address to my studio address in NYC and I should be good. If this is the case:

1. Is this arrangement easier with Directv or Dish? Who will insist least on having a technician come over?

2. What is the worst that can happen if they found out and wanted to make an example? E.g. are we looking at denial of service, fines, jailtime, etc?

3. Will I get the NYC spot beam since I am 60 miles south? (As a reference, counties adjacent to me get all NYC local channels through cable and satellite). Does it matter if the dish is high, low during installation or if I get the service duing installation, I should still get the new channels when I change address?

4. Anything else I should be aware of or other options I should consider?

Thanks all!

You have several options in your case, depending on whether you want to change providers or not. Since you posted in the DirecTV forums, lets start with them. You could sign up for DirecTV service at your current home and get it installed with a Genie system on a promo. You'd need to wait some reasonable amount of time (I'd say a month or so), and call them up to change your service address. You could give them your NY Studio address and they should change it to that. That would give you the NY local channels at your current location, but you would lose the Philadelphia channels. I've searched and I can't find any zip code that gets both the NY & Philadelphia channels so that must be just a cable thing. There aren't any on the Significantly Viewed list either. You are well within the spot beam for the NYC locals based on the maps.

Now to Dish... If you want to go that route you have two options. If you want to change TV service to Dish wait a few weeks until the Hopper 3 becomes available. It has 16 tuners, and would allow you to use Joeys (like the DirecTV Genie Mini Clients) on your other TVs, so you could run a total of 7 TV's off of one Hopper. Follow the same procedure, get them to come do the install on the promo and wait a few days at least. Call in and change your service address to your studio and you will also have the NY local channels. If you want the Philadelphia locals as well you could buy a Dish OTA adapter and a much smaller antenna. The adapter would plug into the USB port on your Hopper and then you would have whatever Philadelphia locals the antenna picks up as well as the NY locals. At your location a small amplified panel antenna (my favorite is the Solid Signal HDHorizonX10) would likely get you all the Philadelphia locals. You are also well with in the range for the Dish spot beams.

The final option has higher out of pocket costs. If you are happy with your TV service now through Verizon you could buy a Dish 211z receiver and sign up for their "Welcome Pack". It costs $19.99 per month and would include the locals in HD. You'd either have to buy the Dish yourself and install it, or find a local dealer to install it or use a portable dish like the Pathway X2. You'd sign up using your NY studio address once you were set up, and then could watch the NY locals on whatever TV the 211z was connected to. If you wanted to be able to DVR those stations you could pay a one time $40 fee, plug an external hard drive in, and it would become a DVR.

Honestly I would say the whole thing would be easier with Dish. They don't seem to really care, and pretty much let people change service addresses on a whim. DirecTV seems pickier, and sometimes will insist on sending a technician out to check. If you get caught with DirecTV they "flag" your account and then a tech will have to come out every time you change an address to verify.

If you could find a local dealer who sells and installs Dish or DirecTV independently the whole process would be easier. Fortunately where I live we have several mom & pop operations that will just install a Dish with no questions asked. In your case you're just "bending" the rules. Since you technically own property in NYC you're entitled to TV service there. People travel or move receivers between multiple homes all the time.

Pike county Pa is part of the NY DMA market .

As Juan from the Directv thread stated you could use an address from there.

It's 22-50 miles to Scranton Wilkes-Barre DMA, and 90 minimum miles from NY city where all the actual studios are located.

So what ever knuckle head determined the DMA for that county is an idiot.
The people there hate the fact that they are forced into NY locals with Satellite.
There is no local news no local school information.
Blue ridge cable give both NY and Scranton Wilkes-Barre.

As far as spotbeam, NY and Philadelphia are 2 separate spotbeams with Dish.

In my opinion Dish is way easier to move your locals.
You can do it in a chat, and never a hair is raised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

As Juan from the Directv thread stated you could use an address from there.

It's 22-50 miles to Scranton Wilkes-Barre DMA, and 90 minimum miles from NY city where all the actual studios are located.

So what ever knuckle head determined the DMA for that county is an idiot.
The people there hate the fact that they are forced into NY locals with Satellite.
There is no local news no local school information.
Blue ridge cable give both NY and Scranton Wilkes-Barre.

In my opinion Dish is way easier to move your locals.
You can do it in a chat, and never a hair is raised.

Commuters to NYC and new Jersey invaded that county awhile ago

But I would still be able to get the NY spot beam if I am 60 miles south of NYC right? Without having to reorient my dish, etc?

But I would still be able to get the NY spot beam if I am 60 miles south of NYC right? Without having to reorient my dish, etc?

Yes you are within the spot beam for Dish and DirecTV, I mapped your location on the spotbeam maps based on your TVFool from the other site. You are within the primary signal ring for both carriers. See my very long post above lol

They were just suggesting that you use a Pike County address to "move" too, but since you have an apartment address that you own in NYC there is no point in that

You have several options in your case, depending on whether you want to change providers or not. Since you posted in the DirecTV forums, lets start with them. You could sign up for DirecTV service at your current home and get it installed with a Genie system on a promo. You'd need to wait some reasonable amount of time (I'd say a month or so), and call them up to change your service address. You could give them your NY Studio address and they should change it to that. That would give you the NY local channels at your current location, but you would lose the Philadelphia channels. I've searched and I can't find any zip code that gets both the NY & Philadelphia channels so that must be just a cable thing. There aren't any on the Significantly Viewed list either. You are well within the spot beam for the NYC locals based on the maps.

Now to Dish... If you want to go that route you have two options. If you want to change TV service to Dish wait a few weeks until the Hopper 3 becomes available. It has 16 tuners, and would allow you to use Joeys (like the DirecTV Genie Mini Clients) on your other TVs, so you could run a total of 7 TV's off of one Hopper. Follow the same procedure, get them to come do the install on the promo and wait a few days at least. Call in and change your service address to your studio and you will also have the NY local channels. If you want the Philadelphia locals as well you could buy a Dish OTA adapter and a much smaller antenna. The adapter would plug into the USB port on your Hopper and then you would have whatever Philadelphia locals the antenna picks up as well as the NY locals. At your location a small amplified panel antenna (my favorite is the Solid Signal HDHorizonX10) would likely get you all the Philadelphia locals. You are also well with in the range for the Dish spot beams.

The final option has higher out of pocket costs. If you are happy with your TV service now through Verizon you could buy a Dish 211z receiver and sign up for their "Welcome Pack". It costs $19.99 per month and would include the locals in HD. You'd either have to buy the Dish yourself and install it, or find a local dealer to install it or use a portable dish like the Pathway X2. You'd sign up using your NY studio address once you were set up, and then could watch the NY locals on whatever TV the 211z was connected to. If you wanted to be able to DVR those stations you could pay a one time $40 fee, plug an external hard drive in, and it would become a DVR.

Honestly I would say the whole thing would be easier with Dish. They don't seem to really care, and pretty much let people change service addresses on a whim. DirecTV seems pickier, and sometimes will insist on sending a technician out to check. If you get caught with DirecTV they "flag" your account and then a tech will have to come out every time you change an address to verify.

If you could find a local dealer who sells and installs Dish or DirecTV independently the whole process would be easier. Fortunately where I live we have several mom & pop operations that will just install a Dish with no questions asked. In your case you're just "bending" the rules. Since you technically own property in NYC you're entitled to TV service there. People travel or move receivers between multiple homes all the time.

Thanks! This is super helpful... So it seems like Dish is the way to go... But has anyone tried this with Directv without having them come and do the "move"? They seem to have a better channel line up than Dish... I guess your mom and pop option might be one way to go.. I bet they have some in Newtown, PA...

Thanks! This is super helpful... So it seems like Dish is the way to go... But has anyone tried this with Directv without having them come and do the "move"? They seem to have a better channel line up than Dish... I guess your mom and pop option might be one way to go.. I bet they have some in Newtown, PA...

You much have missed my post, If you want NY sports, You will NOT GET SNY,MSG,MSG+or YES.
With Dish Network.
Directv has all of these.

You much have missed my post, If you want NY sports, You will NOT GET SNY,MSG,MSG+or YES.
With Dish Network.
Directv has all of these.
Doesn't sound like he cares. Only with the local channels. Besides, what's the difference between going from not getting Philly sports channels to not getting NY sports channels? :)

Reactions: TheKrell
Doesn't sound like he cares. Only with the local channels. Besides, what's the difference between going from not getting Philly sports channels to not getting NY sports channels? :)

LOL.. the locals are what I need but the others would be nice have ;-) As long as Directv doesnt insist on sendng a tech to my studio address, I should be fine.

Movers with Directv are free as long as you have continual service at the same address for 1 yr. Many will move themselves so they don't have to pay a movers fee. There's your out.

They're both right, if you want sports DirecTV has more options. Again if you can find a local installer they might even set the Dish up for you and establish the account address as your studio. An extra $100 in cash goes a long way ;-). You could just tell them you want to be able to use them in both places when you go back and forth and need a Dish in PA

I am a resident of Bucks County, PA (border of NJ and PA) and like many of my neighbors travel to NYC for work on almost a daily basis. I like to be able to get local NYC channels so I am aware of any weather related transit delays, police activity, etc etc. However, due to my closer proximity to Philly, I only get Philly locals which are of no use to me. Since I am only 60 miles south of NYC, I could technically get the local channels through a powerful over the air antenna but it may be hit or miss and a lot of hassle to erect on my roof. I also own a studio apartment in the NYC area which I rent out so do have an actual address in that area under my name. However Slignbox is not an option as the apartment is currently rented out so don’t want to inconvenience the tenant too much. My questions are:

What are my other options to get NYC locals in my area? I read that I could get Dish or Directv and change my address to my studio address in NYC and I should be good. If this is the case:

1. Is this arrangement easier with Directv or Dish? Who will insist least on having a technician come over?

2. What is the worst that can happen if they found out and wanted to make an example? E.g. are we looking at denial of service, fines, jailtime, etc?

3. Will I get the NYC spot beam since I am 60 miles south? (As a reference, counties adjacent to me get all NYC local channels through cable and satellite). Does it matter if the dish is high, low during installation or if I get the service duing installation, I should still get the new channels when I change address?

4. Anything else I should be aware of or other options I should consider?

Thanks all!
Use the apartment in NYC as your service address.
NYC locals are on a CONUS beam.....Only the independent stations out of NYC and environs( WRNN, WNET, etc) are on Spot beams of 119/110( SD).....The HD feeds are on thr 61.5 and are spot beam only

Use the apartment in NYC as your service address.
NYC locals are on a CONUS beam.....Only the independent stations out of NYC and environs( WRNN, WNET, etc) are on Spot beams of 119/110( SD).....The HD feeds are on thr 61.5 and are spot beam only
Umm, New York City channels are on 61.5, Spot beam 2. I'm not sure anyone can actually get those channels that are Conus. the Conus channels are on 119. I doubt our OP has a WA dish anyway.

Umm, New York City channels are on 61.5, Spot beam 2. I'm not sure anyone can actually get those channels that are Conus. the Conus channels are on 119. I doubt our OP has a WA dish anyway.
Actually the Big 4 are Conus on the 72 as well.
But yes you need 61.5 for all the locals.

remote code

how to do a 3 Hopper 2 Joey setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)