Off Air Antenna Installs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rcdallas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
West Texas (midland)
are pretty much hit in miss depending on the geographic location (elevation, obstructions, etc..) at least this is what I'm running into in West Virginia.

Some people only get one network. I have yet to see getting all major networks on one. It's no wonder why people had distant locals from the beginning.

Some are perfectly setup LOS wise to the broadcast towers, few, very few work well.

You're certainly correct about hit-or-miss, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that very few work well! Quite a few folks in this forum report outstanding results with OTA antennas, even indoor antennas in some cases. And in most cases if you're receiving HD, the PQ of the OTA signal will be superior to what is delivered via the sats.

I happen to be in a fringe area and I can presently get only two of my locals in HD via OTA. (I can get all five, more or less, in analog and/or SD digital.) My HD signal on my PBS channel is truly breathtaking most of the time (when it's actually b'casting HD) - I consider that my HD benchmark. I expect to be able to improve this system so when the other networks are b'casting HD, I'll be ready...!

I just wish my house was laid out better for adding wiring like this. If I want to put an OTA antenna in my attic, I need a long lead, either around the outside, or along 3 walls in my living room.

If I want to put it outside, it would appear that the antennas are a little large to easily mount. One antenna I've seen recommended is 80", which is too large to mount in the only convenient spot for me (my older Dish 500 mount), which at least is already wired to near my TV. To make it a little more difficult, of the 2 stations in range (35 miles), one is VHF, and one is UHF. At least the 2 are within a mile from each other, so a directional antenna should work.

If wiring is a pain, if it's any easier - just diplex the OTA antenna into the dish 500 sat lines.

From what you describe a "Square Shooter" will do you right. You already have a 500 mast in place.