Official Groundhog Day Blizzard Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sick of snow in this area it isn't funny anymore.

A big blizzard is coming next week?

We just got hit this past Wednesday with 10.5" of snow here in NE Ohio. With all we've got this month, we're only a couple of inches off from being the snowiest January in Cleveland history.

I'm just thankful for my snow thrower. Don't know how I'd survive without it.

The overnight computer model updates show a weakening trend and a massive eastern shift to the low (4/5 models). Some of the models actually have the center of the storm well into the Atlantic where only the NE Coast would see significant snowfall.

That said, its still pretty far in the future and the models will surely change....everyone from Indy east should pay attention.

The overnight computer model updates show a weakening trend and a massive eastern shift to the low (4/5 models). Some of the models actually have the center of the storm well into the Atlantic where only the NE Coast would see significant snowfall.

That said, its still pretty far in the future and the models will surely change....everyone from Indy east should pay attention.

I hope it stays that east. After the 40+ inches we've already got this month, I'm starting to get massive ice dam problems.

I hope it stays that east. After the 40+ inches we've already got this month, I'm starting to get massive ice dam problems.

Me too. Its getting *really bad* I live in a bungalow and the master bedroom is on the second floor (so we keep it heated). All the snow is melting from the roof and refreezing around the gutters....I probably have 8 inches of solid ice running along my gutters in the back of house.

Yesterday (after looking around on the net) I filled some pantyhouse with calcium chloride and hung them over the gutter. No luck :( I need a thaw really, really bad.

Me too. Its getting *really bad* I live in a bungalow and the master bedroom is on the second floor (so we keep it heated). All the snow is melting from the roof and refreezing around the gutters....I probably have 8 inches of solid ice running along my gutters in the back of house.

Yesterday (after looking around on the net) I filled some pantyhouse with calcium chloride and hung them over the gutter. No luck :( I need a thaw really, really bad.

Same scenario with me too. Bungalow and all.

Supposedly this Sunday is supposed to see a high of 41°F.

Last edited:
and up here in the Frozen north, yet another boring winter... cold, many snow 3-4" falls, but never a major storm... seems to be the norm the last few years, weatehr patterns are pushing storms south and east of Minnesota.

Supposedly the Sunday is supposed to see a high of 41°F.

Hopefully we'll get some good melt on Sunday. We could really use a few days in a row in the upper 40s low 50s. As it stands now, I'm just waiting for my gutters to come crashing down or water to start trickling down the interior walls.

and up here in the Frozen north, yet another boring winter... cold, many snow 3-4" falls, but never a major storm... seems to be the norm the last few years, weatehr patterns are pushing storms south and east of Minnesota.

If the storm next week is as big as the models were suggesting yesterday, it could cause a large scale pattern shift in North American.....not sure how that would effect MN, but huge storms tend to usher in new patterns.

If the storm next week is as big as the models were suggesting yesterday, it could cause a large scale pattern shift in North American.....not sure how that would effect MN, but huge storms tend to usher in new patterns.

Are you a meteorologist by any chance?

I'm amazed at you use of weather vocabulary and your understanding conveyed in a few posts.

Supposedly the Sunday is supposed to see a high of 41°F.

Man, you mean all three of us Cleveland live in bungalows.

As I posted in the pub, I'm getting now starting to get some water making its way in. Hopefully I can clear some of it out so it can drain away. Unfortunately, I don't think Sunday's warmup will be nearly enough. I agree with Skyhi, we need at least 2 days sustained around above freezing, with highs around 50. I don't see that coming, unfortunately.

I'm waiting now for my aluminum canopy to final buckle under the stress.

I'm beginning to wonder if Al Gore has been lying to us. :)

Man, you mean all three of us Cleveland live in bungalows.

As I posted in the pub, I'm getting now starting to get some water making its way in. Hopefully I can clear some of it out so it can drain away. Unfortunately, I don't think Sunday's warmup will be nearly enough. I agree with Skyhi, we need at least 2 days sustained around above freezing, with highs around 50. I don't see that coming, unfortunately.

I'm waiting now for my aluminum canopy to final buckle under the stress.

I'm beginning to wonder if Al Gore has been lying to us. :)

I just put on a new roof over the summer. It came with an ice barrier product that goes on under the roof made of sheet metal. Hopefully that will help against any water/ice backing up underneath.

As for all the ice damns, that is an inherent issue with Bungalows. Either way, I'm going to look into redoing the insulation in the attics this spring/summer too.

Are you a meteorologist by any chance?

I'm amazed at you use of weather vocabulary and your understanding conveyed in a few posts.

Not quite. I was planning on going into the field and took some basic atmospheric physics classes my first few years of college....circumstances changed and I had to go a different route. I've been an "amateur forecaster" since I was around 7 years old and have read quite a few books on the subject. I still try to keep up by looking at data from the various models.

Maybe I'll finish the meteorology degree when I'm a senior citizen and my law school loans are paid :) :)

I just put on a new roof over the summer. It came with an ice barrier product that goes on under the roof made of sheet metal. Hopefully that will help against any water/ice backing up underneath.

As for all the ice damns, that is an inherent issue with Bungalows. Either way, I'm going to look into redoing the insulation in the attics this spring/summer too.

I installed a leaf guard system this summer and I think it's making the problem worse. :( It's a flat piece of plastic that goes over the gutter and allows ice to pile up on top.

How would you redo the insulation without tearing apart the ceiling/walls?

I installed a leaf guard system this summer and I think it's making the problem worse. :( It's a flat piece of plastic that goes over the gutter and allows ice to pile up on top.

How would you redo the insulation without tearing apart the ceiling/walls?

I have two access doors in my upstairs room to get into the attic.

I wonder if it would be wise to just take off the horizontal gutters next winter? That way, no ice/snow can collect and back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)