Official Response on DHPP vs. Lease Warranty - What is covered.

Was this information useful to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LordEnder

Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
I believe this issue deserves it's own thread, but I'm sure the monitors will move it if I'm mistaken - enjoy all! - LordEnder

Based on searches thoughout this forum and finding no definitive answer, I harassed E* for a few weeks and finally received this answer from the CEO's office (my question(s) are included therein):

"I was wondering (1) why you would need a DHPP plan if you were
leasing receivers from dish - if one simply stops working, is that not
simply replaced by DISH in general? Would you have to have a DHPP in
order to get that fixed? Seems a little ridiculous. "

"~When leasing equipment, there is a continuous warranty on the
equipment. If a customer is in need of a replacement unit, the cost of
the equipment is covered but there is a fee for shipping and handling.
With the DHPP warranty with the leased equipment the shipping and
handling cost are covered by DISH Network. Also, there is no warranty
on the installation of the system with leased equipment. By adding the
DHPP warranty DISH Network discounts the cost of a service call to
repair an installation from $99.00 down to $29.00"

"(2) Provision "f. pre-existing problems conditions
re-installation and/or the re-connection of your product(s), if product
replacement is shipped to You" under "4. Exclusions from Coverage" for
the DHPP could be read to imply that if a receiver is shipped to me
directly and is not installed by a DISH tech, that anything that ever
happens to that receiver is not covered - is that really what is meant
by this statement?"

"~ The DHPP warranty does not cover the repair of an installation that
would entail a full re-install of the system or re-connection of
replacement equipment that is shipped to you. It also does not cover
installation of additional equipment if you would upgrade your system.
If an outside company such as an authorized technician or authorized
retailer, DISH Network will cover their work under the DHPP warranty."

"I hope I have addressed all of your questions and concerns. "

Last edited:
Well, you don't post often, but when you do....

I wish we had a ref we could point to, to hold them to this in the future.

So if one wouldn't need any help on a re-installation, you would be foolish to pay the current DHPP fee on a leased receiver as it only covers shipping & handling charges.

Correct?

Decorder Ring

Tom Bombadil said:
So if one wouldn't need any help on a re-installation, you would be foolish to pay the current DHPP fee on a leased receiver as it only covers shipping & handling charges.

Correct?

Hey Tom (love the name btw) - your guess is as good as mine. I needed a decoder ring intially to decipher the warranty and, frankly, I'm not sure the gal from the CEO's office that sent this response entirely understood what I was saying...and lastly, I'm not sure if her response is conclusive/accurate in her own mind. Still seemed pretty unclear to me and I think it's up to interpretation.

Just thought it was one more piece of ammo for us all that I'd share with those that have shared so much for me.

-Lord Ender

sparc said:
How much do they charge for shipping and handling?

$19.95 shipping / failure occurance vs. $6 / month. Not a hard choice in my book.

BTW, I always owned my equip, did NOT have DHPP, and never paid a cent when a unit needed to be replaced. I simply explained if they couldn't provide quality equipment that I could not provide my $100+/month. They listened and I kept my $19.95.:)

Tom Bombadil said:
I've been with E* for 8 years and 4 months. I have yet to pay 1 cent on a repair. Have never been on a warranty plan.

Tom, could you elaborate on your particular circumstances? Do you own/lease?

Do you bitch’n’moan to support when you need repairs/replacements? Etc, etc, etc.

I’m sure I could find this info in your 2,140+ posts….but I ain’t gunna look for it.

Thanks,

LordEnder

Thanks for the post LordE, that's good info.

There's gotta be an official statement on the web site or in the 37 pages of microscopically fine print we all signed.

That's something we can hold dish to.

And then there's the option of ordering DHHP as soon as you have a problem and cancelling right after the repair/replacement.

Apparently, this goes on all the time...

Smokey982,

You cannot cancel DHP, which is the promotion your account would be classified under; it remains for the longevity of your account. You can cancel DHPP which is the extended warranty you may optionally purchase, however understand that in doing so you eliminate the added warranty coverage should you have issues at a later date.

"(2) Provision "f. pre-existing problems conditions
re-installation and/or the re-connection of your product(s), if product
replacement is shipped to You" under "4. Exclusions from Coverage" for
the DHPP could be read to imply that if a receiver is shipped to me
directly and is not installed by a DISH tech, that anything that ever
happens to that receiver is not covered - is that really what is meant
by this statement?"

This provision can more appropriately be interpreted as substandard wiring in a customer's home, pre-existing conditions such as residue, infestation and the like, as well as issues caused by incorrect/questionable installation are not covered under warranty. DHPP covers non-customer/retailer caused malfunctions and failures. Who does the installation isn't taken into consideration.

Is the "Digital Home Plan" the same as the DHPP (Digital Home Protection Plan)? On my bill it states the phrase "Digital Home Plan." Thanks.

I'm grandfathered on the old $1.99 extended warranty plan.....

I've had about a half dozen receivers replaced over the years (I have 5 active,... all PVRs).

It was an easy decision for me.

ANYONE with a PVR or a receiver with an HDMI port needs to get on a plan, unless you want to rely on E* fixing it for free out of the goodness of their heart.

If you have a non-PVR, standard definition receiver, you can probably pass on the plans as they are much less likely to flake out on you...

Yep, that $1.99 has been WELL worth it for me. And when someone accidentally deleted it, I screamed and they reinstated it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)