Ok, where's the one post to answer 90% of all newbie questions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Original poster
I'm looking for a post that covers all the basic questions on dish purchase, installation, wiring, reception and terminology type questions. There's usually someone that makes the attempt which ends up as a sticky. The alternative is trying to wade my way through the myriad of individuals questions looking for tidbits I need to know.

I hate covering all the same ground you all have answered before, it's just taking me forever to sort it out of individual posts.

For example:

My house is backed up to a tree line, how can I determine myself if I can get satelite access?

What are the different Dish types? Why are there different Dish types?

When is more than one Dish required?

Does each Dish tuner require a unique line coming from the Dish or can I split a signal to two different tuners?

What are the technical terms in layman language? (i.e. what is LNB)

Thanks.

Mike

I don't believe there is a F.A.Q.'s here like you are looking for. Do you know which system you want? Dishnet, Direct or Voom? With Dish or E* you can survive with one dish, but usually 2 are required. With Direct or D* one dish, right now as with Voom or V*. West coast folks have a harder time getting a line of sight with V* so if your treeline is to the east... thats out. With D* and a phase III dish an individual line from the dish to 4 receivers. With E* same thing depending or you can have a multiswitch... lnb= low noise block amplifier(i believe)...

The tree line runs north to south. My house backs right up to it on the west side. The house sits high on a ravine and most of the trees are down the hill so I have partial sky access.

I like the DISH programming package and slightly lower cost so am leaning that direction.

I have two TV's in two different rooms. Currently they run off a single coax lead from a roof antennae that is split to the two TV's. I have access to the splitter.

Mike

Today if you can go outside at about 3pm and look at where the sun is, if you can see the sun then chances are you can see the Satellites. (This trick only works this time of the year) :D

Unregistered said:
The tree line runs north to south. My house backs right up to it on the west side. The house sits high on a ravine and most of the trees are down the hill so I have partial sky access.

I like the DISH programming package and slightly lower cost so am leaning that direction.

I have two TV's in two different rooms. Currently they run off a single coax lead from a roof antennae that is split to the two TV's. I have access to the splitter.

Mike
Mike go ahead and register, we won't bite :) this is a good site for info and more....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts