Oklahoma Tornadoes on the ground NOW

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yankee495

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Southwest Missouri
There is line of super cells headed toward Missouri. There are tornadoes on the ground right now in Oklahoma with feeds on:

G28 89W
11955V Sr 19532
NewsOne Live

Right now they are showing the news conference from Joplin MO.
They cut away from live tornado footage from Oklahoma.
They may resume it after the news conference.
The Joplin tornado has been upgraded to a strong EF5 with a death toll of 124 with 1500 missing.
I live 15 miles east of Joplin and was just barley missed by Sundays tornado.

Thanks, glad you made it yankee. I hope that all those missing turn out to just be "out of contact" due to loss of communications. That place was decimated, from the video we've all been shown.

Thanks turbosat...

My son lives about 3 miles from the Kansas line. KSN TV is about 5 blocks south of his house just inside Missouri on the west side of Joplin. I seen the tornado develop and fall right out of the sky on their tower cam. Well, I didn't know what direction the cam was pointed.

I tried calling him and no answer. This all happed about 5:40 and I didn't talk to him till midnight.

A few minutes later they said it was on Rangeline...that is the east side of Joplin. I knew that was bad news....it crossed the whole town on the ground. I turned on my police scanner and immediately heard them setting up a morgue on the parking lot next to Walmart....which was destroyed.

Tonights foercast calls for "tornadoes". We are expecting an outbreak...which has already happened this evening in Oklahoma.

You can now see 6 miles across town from Walmart at 15th and Rangeline to St. John Hospital at 32nd and Maidenlane.

That was a heavily populated area...it is leveled now and looks like a building material dump.

You know this was one time I agree the weathermen in the OKC area should have been on the air, but this still drives me crazy:rant:. All the Tulsa stations went to full blown weather coverage at 4:30 this afternoon when the storms were just forming in western Oklahoma. By the time they got to the Tulsa area around 8:00, they were mainly just very strong straight line winds with heavy rain for about 20 minutes, yet we've had nearly 6hrs of coverage, looking at radar color maps and the occasional video or photo that someone was able to capture and there was some amazing shots of 7 or 8 of the tornado's. Our ABC station is still harping it up now at 10:15 as the storms move into Arkansas and unfortunately the Joplin area.

Finally two of our stations have got a clue and thought ahead and told everyone they were moving regular programming to the subchannels. Whats the use of having a weather subchannel just for a radar loop and time/temperature. Guess I will go download Dancing with the Stars now, since our great ABC station preempted the finale until Saturday at 11:00 pm and yes I know if I had my Big Dish up, I could have just watched it in rainy peace. Tornado's are part of life in Oklahoma and unfortunately so are Hollywood weathermen that have a weathergasm anytime a dark cloud is spotted.

Ok my rant is over with back to your regularly scheduled programming.:rolleyes:

Really....

Let's see...which should be broadcast,
1. Possible life-saving weather info...or
2. "Dancing with the Stars"....:rolleyes:
...I agree about the weather drama lately, but I'm sure the station made the right call, especially with how many tornado outbreaks there have been lately.

I will always be against this wall to wall drama the stations use now. These, and I will use the term "experts" loosely, have cried wolf way too many times. If it was life saving info, then yes as it was in the OKC area, but it wasn't in the Tulsa area. It was rain and strong winds, nothing that we needed another 4hrs of wall to wall coverage for.

They could have used small break-ins every 10 or 15 mins and got the important info out there, instead we have to listen to 4 or 5 "experts" tell us what all these pretty colors are about on their 6 different radar's. The Tulsa stations like to claim areas are in their in dma so they can keep talking, when you couldn't get their signal with a 100ft tower and antenna.

It's not so much about the regular programming, it is the FACT they have all these subchannels and when they cover up regular programming, they don't do anything with these subchannels. Tornadoes or rain may be in parts of the viewing area, but the weather subchannel is still showing a loop of the weather segment from the noon news. So 90% of the viewing area, that could less that it is raining in one county, are forced to listen to what may only be affecting 1% of the dma. They need to use their bandwidth more efficiently or turn the crap off and put that bandwidth back towards the main channels picture quality.

Two of our stations have finally listened to the viewers complaints and starting last night have made it standard procedure to automatically move regular programming to subchannels, so the majority of their viewers are not captives to the weather men. Unfortunately, viewers of the two highest rated shows on ABC and Fox were not so fortunate and the complaints they are receiving are proving my point. May is tornado season in Oklahoma and few years now we have had the season finale of many shows preempted by our weathermen, and they wonder why their viewers are turning to cable programming or online vendors. Me I just went and downloaded what was missed shortly after it aired, but not everyone has my talents:D

I enjoy what satellite coverage that I have. I somewhat envy you guys with 5 channels with 20 subchannels. Yesterday as I scanned OTA, analog and digital, I got create on digital and that was it. As has been said "It's Free. Be happy with what you get. You might loose it tomorrow." We had no warning or coverage of the wind storm, possible twister, that took two roofs and two dishes from my farm. Could have lost lives, but we were in "town" miles away and were shocked when we got home.

PS. I have friends in Broken Arrow and could not find one word on internet about that area. (Len Mink and family)

rv1pop said:
I enjoy what satellite coverage that I have. I somewhat envy you guys with 5 channels with 20 subchannels. Yesterday as I scanned OTA, analog and digital, I got create on digital and that was it. As has been said "It's Free. Be happy with what you get. You might loose it tomorrow." We had no warning or coverage of the wind storm, possible twister, that took two roofs and two dishes from my farm. Could have lost lives, but we were in "town" miles away and were shocked when we got home.

PS. I have friends in Broken Arrow and could not find one word on internet about that area. (Len Mink and family)

Being that Tulsa and Broken Arrow pretty much run together now, most info about BA gets lumped in with Tulsa. We had straight line winds that hit 84mph and some heavy rain in broken arrow for about 20 mins last night. Otherwise just heavy rain for the past few days.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

rv1pop said:
Thanks OSU1991, that is good news. I was concerned and could not find anything except one area (El Reno?).

El Reno is to the west outside of OKC. I am actually there working claims today.

To the east of Tulsa there is a lot of tornado damage from the Joplin storm that hit around Grove and the Grand Lake area. Chickasha to the SW of OKC also took some heavy tornado damage. They had a monster twister that was caught on video.

Mainly central Oklahoma took the brunt of the tornadoes last night. A line north to south along I-35. I haven't heard the news yet today. Last count I heard was around 32 confirmed tornadoes last night.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)