Old folks need my help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

papalittle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Some old corn field, United States
I have a exclusive contract with a retirement community to install dishnetwork, there are 300 units plus 3 apartment buildings there. This retirement community has a cable service that they supply to the residents there for free, many of my customers there want dish and the village cable too. here's my problem, most of these units are build on concrete slabs and have flat roofs. the existing cabling cabling system was installed before the siding was "glued" to the concrete walls and a pitched roof was build over the flatroofs. The management will not let me run any cable through the outside walls and it is almost impossible to find the inside walls, which are concrete, from the roof.

Most of the time all I need to install a single 311 receiver in the units but every once in a while the retirees want duel receivers. Almost all the retirees want to retain the village cable too so I just use diplexers to bring the village cable in on the dish cable.

My problem is when they have duel receivers, I use diplexers to bring TV2 signal to the second tv but I can not figure out a way to use the diplexers to carry TV2 signal and at the same time bring in the village cable too. The village cable is important to these people and I really want to make them happy but at a loss on how to do it.

Anybody have knowledge of a way I can accomplish this?

papalittle said:
I have a exclusive contract with a retirement community to install dishnetwork, there are 300 units plus 3 apartment buildings there. This retirement community has a cable service that they supply to the residents there for free, many of my customers there want dish and the village cable too. here's my problem, most of these units are build on concrete slabs and have flat roofs. the existing cabling cabling system was installed before the siding was "glued" to the concrete walls and a pitched roof was build over the flatroofs. The management will not let me run any cable through the outside walls and it is almost impossible to find the inside walls, which are concrete, from the roof.

Most of the time all I need to install a single 311 receiver in the units but every once in a while the retirees want duel receivers. Almost all the retirees want to retain the village cable too so I just use diplexers to bring the village cable in on the dish cable.

My problem is when they have duel receivers, I use diplexers to bring TV2 signal to the second tv but I can not figure out a way to use the diplexers to carry TV2 signal and at the same time bring in the village cable too. The village cable is important to these people and I really want to make them happy but at a loss on how to do it.

Anybody have knowledge of a way I can accomplish this?

Don't use diplexers for the second TV - use splitter/combiners. At the TV that has the dual tuner (942 or 622)receiver:
  • Split the village cable - after the diplexer - with a 2 way splitter/combiner
  • Take one of the outputs from the splitter/combiner and feed it into the TV CATV/antenna input of the first TV
  • Take the second output from the splitter/combiner and feed that into a another splitter/combiner
  • Take TV2 out of the receiver and feed that into the other input of the second splitter/combiner
  • Run a cable from that second splitter/combiner's output to the CATV/Antenna input of the second TV
You'll want to keep the Dish TV2 modulated channel well separate (above) from the highest village cable channel to prevent interference. For instance, in my setup, my basic cable ends at channel 78 and I've got my Dish TV2 channel modulated at channel 94. I've also placed a low pass filter (effectively blocking any "junk" signals after channel 80) on the cable service (between the first and second splitter/combiner) to prevent interference between the 2 signals.

BigFella said:
Don't use diplexers for the second TV - use splitter/combiners. At the TV that has the dual tuner (942 or 622)receiver:
  • Split the village cable - after the diplexer - with a 2 way splitter/combiner
  • Take one of the outputs from the splitter/combiner and feed it into the TV CATV/antenna input of the first TV
  • Take the second output from the splitter/combiner and feed that into a another splitter/combiner
  • Take TV2 out of the receiver and feed that into the other input of the second splitter/combiner
  • Run a cable from that second splitter/combiner's output to the CATV/Antenna input of the second TV
You'll want to keep the Dish TV2 modulated channel well separate (above) from the highest village cable channel to prevent interference. For instance, in my setup, my basic cable ends at channel 78 and I've got my Dish TV2 channel modulated at channel 94. I've also placed a low pass filter (effectively blocking any "junk" signals after channel 80) on the cable service (between the first and second splitter/combiner) to prevent interference between the 2 signals.

As I understand this I still need to run another cable to the 2nd tv from where the receiver is? pretty much impossible.
correct me if I am wrong.

papalittle said:
As I understand this I still need to run another cable to the 2nd tv from where the receiver is? pretty much impossible.
correct me if I am wrong.
Yep - that's pretty much the deal as I see it. I assume that you only have one cable feeding the main, dual tuner receiver and you're using a dish separator and diplexers on that cable. Since you're already diplexing that one cable, you'll need a second cable to send the TV2 signal (combined or diplexed) out to the second TV. There may be smarter minds out there that have another solution though. Just a thought, can you run a second cable under a carpet or neatly surface mount it to base boards?

As BigFella said....

(1) Assuming that all rooms have cable, and main room has sat and cable; neatly run a cable along the baseboard or under the carpet from TV2 Output to a combiner at the 2nd TV, and also connect the cable from the wall to the combiner to feed TV2 with cable and sat. If TV2 has multiple input, then skip the combiner.

(2) On the more expensive side. Feed TV2 Output to a UHF transmitter. UHF receiver at 2nd TV will feed this signal into a combiner, and cable from the wall is also feed into combiner. However, if UHF equipment only operates on channels 3 and 4, then you will need a modulator between receiver and combiner to change channel to something the cable is not using. But if TV has multiple input, you could skip the modulator and combiner.

(3) Going back to BigFella's original suggestion - instead of 2 splitter/combiners, maybe one combiner will work. I don't really know, but it seems like the following should work.
You always use two diplexers, with Sat connected to Sat, and VHF connected to VHF; however, I believe both diplexers are the same and it does not matter which one goes on which end. Therefore, the cable signal comes in one diplexer on the VHF side, goes across the single cable and comes out the other diplexer on the VHF side. Assuming on the VHF side, the VHF signal can go bi-directional, it may be possible to take the Diplexer VHF Output and feed a Combiner/Splitter, then take the other 2 connections on the combiner/splitter and connect to (a) the Receiver's TV2 Output (must be on an unused cable channel), and (b) either the Receiver's Ant/Cable Input, or the TV if it has multiple inputs. So cable signal is sent to the sat receiver Ant/Cable or main TV, while TV2 Output is sent back up the cable. If sat receiver only modulates channels 3 or 4, then you may need an external modulator to change 3 to maybe 80.

It sounds like the inside of each housing unit may have a splitter to feed cable to each room. If so, then in (3) above, this splitter may have to be swapped out, or reconfigured by adding a combiner so that the cable signal and the Receiver's TV2 Output signal can both be feed into this splitter to feed the rest of the unit.

(4) If there is a cabling distribution box in a utility room, and an HD connection is not required, maybe install the receiver at the distribution box and let TV1 and TV2 Outputs feed from this point, and use UHF PRO remotes for both TV's.

SW
A little knowledge is dangerous, and a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts