Old Question Revisited : 721 vs 522

jginsburg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 19, 2004
PA
:what I just got off the phone with someone in the executive office of Dish, who told me if I call him directly, he will arrange free installation of a 721 or 522 if I buy either one elsewhere. There was a lot of talk about 522 problems, which the guy at Dish says was fixed with software downloads. I do not keep receiver attached to phone line, and plan on using receiver on one TV only. I also have a 501 and 301, which I will continue to use in other rooms. Since I can buy the 522 on Ebay, and the 721 is still available through several Dish dealers . . . and Mark (from Dish) promised me installation for either if I call him direct and avoid CSR . . . which one should I buy??? Any input would really be appreciated! :confused: :what

You plan on using it on only one TV and don't want the phone line hook-up? I'd chose the 721 in a heart beat. It's guide is very fast, it has a longer track record (more stable with more updates), plus...NO VOD FEE!

But that's just my 2 cents. I have 2 of them and love them both.

Hi, Welcome to Satellite Guys!

For what you want the 721 would be a better choice, but I'd check on what you were told, because technically Dish themselves doesn't offer the 721 only their retailers do, so I'm not sure how an executive could over that product (since it's less distributed and expensive) for free.

Thanks for the welcome!
I can get the 522 on Ebay (I told this to the guy at E*). He was hesitant, but told me I could go either way. . . buy a 721 from one of their retailers, or the 522 on Ebay. After receiving the receiver, I am supposed to call him directly so he will set up the installation for free on either one. I have AEP with a 501 and 301 now, so I don't think I have to worry about the VOD fee (or do I?). But will the 721 and 522 work without the phone line plugged in? This will be the third that I'm adding.
I've given Club Dish card to some people who activated, and then went with the HDTV package, so maybe that's why he'll do whatever I want (I don't know). Or maybe they are not used to hearing from females! My fear with the 721, since it's discontinued, is how much upgrading will be done to it. So far, I haven't "suffered" too much with my 501.

Am I missing something? You purchase a retailers 721 and then Dish arranges a free installation?

How is this different for anyone else. Is Dish reimbursing your 721 purchase price?

If not, any new customer can get a 522 under DHA with a free install. Check out http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/getdish/dha/index.shtml for the link to check out the program.

What am I missing (not understanding) on this thread?

BFG said:
Hi, Welcome to Satellite Guys!

For what you want the 721 would be a better choice, but I'd check on what you were told, because technically Dish themselves doesn't offer the 721 only their retailers do, so I'm not sure how an executive could over that product (since it's less distributed and expensive) for free.

Got my 721 from dish..$250 :)

jginsburg said:
Thanks for the welcome!
I can get the 522 on Ebay (I told this to the guy at E*). He was hesitant, but told me I could go either way. . . buy a 721 from one of their retailers, or the 522 on Ebay. After receiving the receiver, I am supposed to call him directly so he will set up the installation for free on either one. I have AEP with a 501 and 301 now, so I don't think I have to worry about the VOD fee (or do I?). But will the 721 and 522 work without the phone line plugged in? This will be the third that I'm adding.
I've given Club Dish card to some people who activated, and then went with the HDTV package, so maybe that's why he'll do whatever I want (I don't know). Or maybe they are not used to hearing from females! My fear with the 721, since it's discontinued, is how much upgrading will be done to it. So far, I haven't "suffered" too much with my 501.

Keep in mind that the 522 will cost you $4.99 more each month if the phone line is not connected.

I bought a 522 on ebay and dish would not activate it. They are rental units only. So I resold it on ebay (whew) and picked up a 721. Been pleased as punch ever since. Other than lacking HD, the 721 is by far the best receiver on the market right now. And it's old as dirt.

Well, I bought the 522 on Ebay for $174. Dish is coming out to install it for me and I'll be able to use it in another room as well. The 721 was about $100 more from some of the retailers, so I went with the 522. Hopefully the major bugs have been taken care of!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)