Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Yesterday USA used to have an audio channel on 101W ku many moons ago. Before that I believe they were on C-Band. In order to cut costs they dropped the satellite feed and went internet only several years ago. Does anyone know if there is another OTR radio station on FTA?

I don't know of any on FTA sat, but there's plenty on the internet. Here's my favorite: http://www.cbsrmt.com/

Thanks, primestar31. I'm aware of the many options available on the internet, thanks. My request comes from a friend that spends four months of the year in a very remote area with no internet or cell phone service. We're talking, "boonies."

I'll probably wind up downloading a bunch of shows for him and put it on an old mp3 player I have lying around. Another option would be SiriusXM. They have a radio classics channel.

BTW - As a young boy living in NY (1970's) I often listened to CBS Radio Mystery Theater on 710 WOR. I had an old tube radio I pulled out of someones trash and fixed. Anybody else remember the days when you could take a bag of tubes to the drugstore and test them? Anyway I had a little workbench in the basement where I would spend time fixing things and listen to the radio. I learned a lot just monkeying around with stuff.

Thanks, primestar31. I'm aware of the many options available on the internet, thanks. My request comes from a friend that spends four months of the year in a very remote area with no internet or cell phone service. We're talking, "boonies."

I'll probably wind up downloading a bunch of shows for him and put it on an old mp3 player I have lying around. Another option would be SiriusXM. They have a radio classics channel.

BTW - As a young boy living in NY (1970's) I often listened to CBS Radio Mystery Theater on 710 WOR. I had an old tube radio I pulled out of someones trash and fixed. Anybody else remember the days when you could take a bag of tubes to the drugstore and test them? Anyway I had a little workbench in the basement where I would spend time fixing things and listen to the radio. I learned a lot just monkeying around with stuff.
Old vacuum tube radios sound so good. I still have one we had in a vacation home we used to own. It's stored now but man it always sounded so good

I have a tubed Kuba stereo -radio - record player that also gets short wave. Doesn't quite work anymore. No idea if it's tubes or what. No idea where to find out.

But I do recall a ham commenting that certain high power tubes were only available from the Soviet bloc. The Soviets went further and longer with tubes than us. Nearly immune to EMP. This was MANY years ago, of course.

I often use a tube type radio for my AM listening, such nice warm audio. I have two that were dropped off a couple of months ago to hopefully get working again. Will be looking at them later in the season, hopefully all they need is new caps.
I have several boxes of tubes kicking around, but seldom have to change them. It's usually caps, volume/tone controls, and power supplies that go on the old radios.

Reactions: KE4EST
I often use a tube type radio for my AM listening, such nice warm audio. I have two that were dropped off a couple of months ago to hopefully get working again. Will be looking at them later in the season, hopefully all they need is new caps.
I have several boxes of tubes kicking around, but seldom have to change them. It's usually caps, volume/tone controls, and power supplies that go on the old radios.

I use a Zenith K731 for listening to AM regularly. This radio is a late 1950's early 1960's version. A friends grandmother gave it to me because it hummed and buzzed like crazy. The radio was in real good condition so I decided it was time to give it a face lift. First off I replaced the multi section filter cap (can) with modern electrolytic types mounted on a newly installed terminal strip. That got rid of the hum. This radio contains a selenium rectifier diode which can/will fail and emit a nasty sulfur smell. So I replaced the selenium rectifier with a modern silicon type. It was also necessary to install a series dropping resistor since the selenium diode has a higher internal resistance. Failure to add this resistor will cause excessive voltage being applied to the downstream circuitry. Which is not good... All the tubes checked good except for one on my B&K tube tester so it was replaced. After replacing a dial light the radio operated like new after that. The only thing left was a nice coat of polish on the wood cabinet.

Then it went back to grandma. She wasn't expecting to see the radio come back. She simply bought a new radio and gave me the old one so it wouldn't get thrown out. You should have seen her face when I brought that old radio back, plugged it in and it started playing music. The old radio honorably took its rightful place next to her bed and the "new" one was taken away. She died two years later at the ripe old age of 94. My friend insisted on me having her old radio after she passed. He told me that she didn't like the new one he bought for her. Apparently it brought her a lot of joy seeing that old radio come back into her life. It continues to bring joy to mine!

Status
Please reply by conversation.