Older reciever hooked to newer dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

eric r

Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
westland MI
So I have this old receiver from around 2000 or so. It is aHRD-E6.
It is capable of picking up the 101, 110 and 119 birds.
It is hooked to its original dish on the porch roof.
This is running a TV in the bedroom.
A couple of years ago I bought a HR-21 with a new dish for HD
for a different TV in the living room.
It is a slim line AU-9 with 4 outputs coming out of the LBN.
This is also on my roof so I have 2 dishes at the moment.
One cable and a b-band converter is all I need to have the second dish work
with the HR-21.
This dish from all I have read is supposed to be capable of running
4 independent receivers.
I have wanted for awhile to get rid of the older dish and was hoping to run
both receivers off of the newer slim line.
I tried today to plug that older receiver into the newer dish but only
got goose eggs for signal strength. I even tried it with the newer
receiver unplugged completely and it still would not work.
There is no signal strength whatsoever.
Is there any way to run both of these off of the slim line dish ?

If the older receiver works with the older dish, it should work with the new one. Of course you won't get hd channels with it. Have you gone into the setup menu and checked your options for dish type? The Slimline won't be in there, but I think one of them in there should work. Check and see what's available and try them all if necessary. You could just get an hd receiver to replace it. It wouldn't cost any more per month, and Directv may ship you one for free. Let us know what happens.

WELL

If your slimline is a Single Wire type of dish then it won't work. If there's 4 available coax connections from the lnb it will be possible. What type of slimline do you have?

If the older receiver works with the older dish, it should work with the new one. Of course you won't get hd channels with it. Have you gone into the setup menu and checked your options for dish type? The Slimline won't be in there, but I think one of them in there should work. Check and see what's available and try them all if necessary. You could just get an hd receiver to replace it. It wouldn't cost any more per month, and Directv may ship you one for free. Let us know what happens.

The options for dish type are single, dual or triple. I have tried all three and would not get any signal strength.
I leave it on triple with the old dish and it gets signals from the 101 ,110 and 119.

I had thought of getting a second HD receiver with a dvr and just use the first for SD.
I think i own this older one, I know I do not pay a lease fee for it so I would think my bill
would go up if I had 2 of the newer receivers.

If your slimline is a Single Wire type of dish then it won't work. If there's 4 available coax connections from the lnb it will be possible. What type of slimline do you have?

It has 4 outputs out of the lbn.
I have been using one for the HD
receiver. I just ran a second cable yesterday
to feed the other receiver but it will not work.
Either of these cables will however run the HD receiver fine.

It is a slimline 5 and it says AU-9 on the LBN.
This might be bit out in left field here but does
it need a b-band converter to run on the newer dish ?

eric r said:
It has 4 outputs out of the lbn.
I have been using one for the HD
receiver. I just ran a second cable yesterday
to feed the other receiver but it will not work.
Either of these cables will however run the HD receiver fine.

It is a slimline 5 and it says AU-9 on the LBN.
This might be bit out in left field here but does
it need a b-band converter to run on the newer dish ?

No bbc's required. That receiver should be working. I you select the dual on it. I'm not sure why it's not. As far as the lease goes. You're given 1 for free and all after that you pay for. So you're prolly payin for the HD reciever and not the old box you're currently having issues with. You should call about getting an HDDVR as a swap for the older one. I mean if you're already thinking about I might as well make the leap. I know they're running a good promo on HD's and HDDVRs

No bbc's required. That receiver should be working. I you select the dual on it. I'm not sure why it's not. As far as the lease goes. You're given 1 for free and all after that you pay for. So you're prolly payin for the HD reciever and not the old box you're currently having issues with. You should call about getting an HDDVR as a swap for the older one. I mean if you're already thinking about I might as well make the leap. I know they're running a good promo on HD's and HDDVRs
You know I am looking around a bit at some dishes and it seems some require a power inserter ( maybe all) others need a multiswitch etc.
When I bought this dish I was under the impression none of this was required and it could run 4 independent
receivers off of 4 independent cables.
The way it is hooked up now is one cable into a b-band converter into a hr-21 receiver.
There is now power inserter, no switches no nothing. It has been this way 3 years now and has worked
fine. Should this have a power inserter with it ?
There sure was no mention of this when I put it up.

No, the power inserter is only required on SWM. The switch is only needed if you plan on running more then 4 tuners off the dish

I have a really old RCA DRD503RBC hooked to my Slimeline dish with SL5 LNB with no problems, it only gets the 101 sat.

How long of a cable run is it to the dish and what type of cable and fittings? Older receivers did not output as many amps dc as the newer ones. So if it is a long run, cheap copper clad rg6 or god forbid rg59 with poor terminations. Their may not be enough power from the old box to power the lnb. While the newer one works fine

It works fine.
The reason it was not working earlier was a bonehead move on my part.

To test it I ran a extension from the living room (20' piece of rg-59 that Iwas using to feed a TV
after the converter box which worked fine by the way) to the back bedroom withnothing for a signal.
I moved the sd box out to the living room and hooked it to the slim line and itworked and that
is when it occurred to me the rg-59 will not work in between the dish and theconverter box.
The thing is I pretty much knew this already but somehow it happened anyway.

Anyway all is good and I thank everyone for their replies.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)