Olympic Coverage In MPEG2?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 13, 2004
Indiana
Well guys here is a email I received from Dish and I confirmed this by phone this morning with Dish.

Dear Mr. *******,

Thank you for your email. We are sorry for the late response. Please be advised that all additional HD channels that will be available on February 1, 2006 require an MPEG 4 receiver in order for you to receive the programming in HD. However, we will also have a better promotion for our existing customer on February 1, 2006. The MPEG 4 receiver will be available for an affordable price. You may call our Customer Service Department number at 1-800-333-3474 on that date and check if you are qualified for any promotion.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Joel M.

DISH Network eCare

From: Dennis C. ******* [mailto:*******************y.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:49 AM
To: FeedBack
Subject: Olympiic Coverage

Hello, I am a current sub with the America 180, HBO/Showtime, HD and Voom packs. I know the conversion to mpeg 4 is occurring for new HD channels starting Feb 1. Will I be able to view the Olympic games with my current model 6000 and 811 in mpeg 2 or do I have to upgrade to the VIP 222 or 622 HD PVR to view?. Thanks, Dennis *******

Interesting, indeed.

I know that the Universal HD channel was only going to be in MPEG-4 for the Olympics, but I thought we were getting an MPEG-2 "events" channel for the Olympics as well.

Weezknight said:
Interesting, indeed.

I know that the Universal HD channel was only going to be in MPEG-4 for the Olympics, but I thought we were getting an MPEG-2 "events" channel for the Olympics as well.

This could be true. If I remember Voom did a special channel for the summer games and Dish could do the same. Maybe the CSR's and the email response people are not getting the correct information. Guess we will have to wait and see.

This was my impression as well. The Dish answer only deals with the new channels available on the 1st and not the olympic feed

The Olympics WILL be in MPEG2 (not MPEG4) on Dish Network. I am also being told that Universal HD will be made available in MPEG2 for their Olympics Coverage.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The Olympics WILL be in MPEG2 (not MPEG4) on Dish Network. I am also being told that Universal HD will be made available in MPEG2 for their Olympics Coverage.

To everyone Scott or only to those who've already upgraded programming?

Scott, you have my permission to delete the "NO" in my thread tiltle. The No is going to cause problems if you are certain about the MPEG2 coverage.

I am a 942 leasor and see no Olympics channel in my guide this morning. A call to Tech Support AND CSR tells me they either don't have the information or, if they do, then we do NOT get the Olympics channel HD for MPEG2--at least not today and also I was told I HAD to contact my local retailer about any upgrades before April 1!

As soon as my husband can put up our old KU band dish to get the X-4 channels on our C-band system, I am gone from DISH!!!! At least with that, I can get the Hallmark Movie Channel, etc, etc.

Folks the Olympics don't start for a week. They will not be listed until then.

The transponder they are going to use for the special Olympics HD channels and Special Universal HD MPEG2 feed are currently being used for Sundays SuperBowl.

Don't call Dish about not having these channels, they will be there in time for the Olympics. :)

I believe some of the confusion came as a result of the latest Charlie Chat. They specifically stated that Olympic coverage would start in HD on Feb 1st. Charlie himself questioned that statement while on air because the Olympics don't start on the 1st and the gentleman to his left said there would be pre-Olympic coverage.

emu1,

You are absolutely right. I saw the chat and specifically remember that part. I have been waiting for the Olympics and, frankly, could hold off on an upgrade right now as long as I can get the Olympics in HD with my existing equipment. If that doesn't happen, I may get hysterical and throw a "hissy" fit (whatever that is) and do something I would later regret - like throw all my Dish equipment out on the burn pile and go strictly OTA.

Now, as long as Mr. Ergen keeps to his word, as stated on the last chat, then I will continue to support Dish and will gladly sign a 18 month or 24 month contract to get my little upgrade to a vip622, and then go turn around and buy another one since they will not let me get two on a lease. Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

For what its worth I talked to one of my contacts about this and I guess Olympics was supposed to be up but then the deal was struck for the SuperBowl which pushed back the HD Olympics Channel Launch.

Relax it IS coming.

So, let me get this straight. For sure we will have the Dish Olympic channel which is MPEG-2. So everyone gets that one regardless of which HD receiver you have.

But what's this about UniversalHD being in MPEG-2? They have been pretty clear that the new channels are all MPEG-4 and you need one of the new receivers to get them. Is there some official announcement I missed that states they are making an exception for UniversalHD?

sonnyboy11 said:
So, let me get this straight. For sure we will have the Dish Olympic channel which is MPEG-2. So everyone gets that one regardless of which HD receiver you have.

But what's this about UniversalHD being in MPEG-2? They have been pretty clear that the new channels are all MPEG-4 and you need one of the new receivers to get them. Is there some official announcement I missed that states they are making an exception for UniversalHD?

I guess they just remove a header from the stream, after all they do not have any MPEG4 content for VOOM.
Great news they made this available for the Olympics.

Stats8 said:
I guess they just remove a header from the stream, after all they do not have any MPEG4 content for VOOM.
Great news they made this available for the Olympics.

Not so fast. Scott is starting to back pedal on the mpeg2 Olympic coverage. Read this post from Scott.

Scott Greczkowski said:
This is now up in the air and I am trying to get clarification.

I was talking with someone on the phone a few days ago and they told me the Olympics would be in MPEG2 and in addition Universal would be in MPEG2 for the olympics.

However today going through the Dish Network website I noticed the had an Olympic Website up (BTW from some strange reason I am seeing the old Dish Network website now complete with Anti Lifetime stuff.) but at the bottom of the page it said to view Universal HD you need a MPEG4 receiver.

I am trying to find out more now.

universal HD is not going to be made to everyone and never was, someone at dish gave scott bad intelligence on that.

this olympic highlight/replay channel if it ever gets added will be made available to everyone though

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)