Olympic Coverage In MPEG2?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Stacy A said:
Now, as long as Mr. Ergen keeps to his word, as stated on the last chat, then I will continue to support Dish and will gladly sign a 18 month or 24 month contract to get my little upgrade to a vip622, and then go turn around and buy another one since they will not let me get two on a lease. Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

You mean the same Mr. Ergen that promised all the VOOM channels by the end of 2005? The Mr. Ergen that said in November that MPEG4 is a long way off and that Dish is sticking with 8PSK? The Mr. Ergen that is having MPEG4 headers put on MPEG2 signals? I'm not sure that I would TRUST him to keep any "promise." I know that I would have no interest in an 18 month commitment! The past 18 months have not inspired a great deal of trust!

Not jumping on you Stacy... just mad at Dish... I seem to be in a perpetual bad mood about this topic!! :)

BFG said:
universal HD is not going to be made to everyone and never was, someone at dish gave scott bad intelligence on that.

this olympic highlight/replay channel if it ever gets added will be made available to everyone though

Ahhh... what a shame, very few people will be able to view that channel.
I was looking forward to the hockey games on Universal.
Oh well....:confused:

Scott Greczkowski said:
For what its worth I talked to one of my contacts about this and I guess Olympics was supposed to be up but then the deal was struck for the SuperBowl which pushed back the HD Olympics Channel Launch.

Why is it that we get more contact about what DISH is planning through Scott than from the horse's mouth? I enjoyed the Charlie Chat where they explicitly stated it would be available Feb 1. But when this changed they make no attempt to get this information to the consumer. I would think they would use the bottom scroll of Channel 100 to annouce the offical launch date of the Olympic HD channel.

So does this mean this channel is still showing content right now; and we're just missing it?

KeithInDallas said:
You mean the same Mr. Ergen that promised all the VOOM channels by the end of 2005? The Mr. Ergen that said in November that MPEG4 is a long way off and that Dish is sticking with 8PSK? The Mr. Ergen that is having MPEG4 headers put on MPEG2 signals? I'm not sure that I would TRUST him to keep any "promise." I know that I would have no interest in an 18 month commitment! The past 18 months have not inspired a great deal of trust!

Not jumping on you Stacy... just mad at Dish... I seem to be in a perpetual bad mood about this topic!! :)

You forgot NBR on 50x boxes off topic but thought I would bring it up Anyway!

The HD Olympic Channel will not be up until February 10th.

The NBCHL channel is now online, and this was the channel they meant to say was coming online February 1st, not the HD channel.

It is still up in the air if Universal HD's Olympic coverage will be made available to all or not.

Scott Greczkowski said:
It is still up in the air if Universal HD's Olympic coverage will be made available to all or not.

So, once again Dish says one thing and then goes wobbly on us and does another.:rolleyes: They said if you have HD now, you will get the olympics in HD at the first of february. Everyone with HD will get the olympics in HD. Now they can't decide. Great.:devil:

Just received the email from Dish. I think we all got one if we are set up with a online Dish account.

Edit: I forgot to add there was no mention of mpeg 2 or 4. The only disclaimer was: a HD receiver and a HD display is needed to watch the Olympics in HD.:)

EXPERIENCE THE COMPLETE OLYMPICS ON THE NETWORKS OF NBC
FEBRUARY 10 - 26 WITH DISH NETWORK.

dish home interactive channel 1001

Infuze a reminder for the Opening Ceremonies Friday, February 10th at 8 PM ET

NBC Showcase: View up to 6 channels simultaneously or select any one to watch full screen.
NBC Enhanced Application: Check event schedules, athlete bios, medal counts and more!

Over 400 hours of Olympic coverage including HD

200 hours of high definition simulcast on NBC HD
Over 100 hours of content on Universal HD

Last edited:
Yeah, I just read this in the e-newsletter...and it still has me scratching my head.

Are we all (HD subs) getting access to the Universal HD/NBC HD combo or only those with the new MPEG-4 receivers? That's still a question, right?

Otherwise, I'm getting nothing in the way of HD Olympics from dish, because I'm just getting my local NBC HD coverage (read, abbreviated) via antenna...not the 200+ hours they're touting in the mailer.

shanewalker said:
Yeah, I just read this in the e-newsletter...and it still has me scratching my head.

Are we all (HD subs) getting access to the Universal HD/NBC HD combo or only those with the new MPEG-4 receivers? That's still a question, right?

Otherwise, I'm getting nothing in the way of HD Olympics from dish, because I'm just getting my local NBC HD coverage (read, abbreviated) via antenna...not the 200+ hours they're touting in the mailer.

It looks like most likely scenario is only people with the new receivers are going to get Universal HD. That kind of sucks since according to the Dish website, Universal HD is mostly covering hockey. My install for my 611 is 2/22 and the quarter finals for hockey start that day. I would imagine that most hockey games will be on NBC anyway, but it sure would be nice to get Universal HD just in case.

It would be nice if I had a decent local NBC station. Ours sucks big green donkey d---ks, in a big way. They have openly stated they have no intention broadcasting anything in HD, ever. They had to be dragged, kicking and screaming into a digital signal, and they broadcast it so low that I can only get their signal after the sun goes down. Their analog signal is of a lower strength. However, I am classified as being able to receive a grade B signal and they refuse any waivers.

Scott, is Universal HD in Mpeg 2 still going to happen for the Olympics? One day to go before the opening ceremonies and nothing to show yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts