On my 4th or 5th VIP622 replacement! I cry Uncle...

Here's the story behind the endless reboot problem.

In Fall of 2009, I went through this too. I had an original 622 go bad due to hard drive failure and requested a replacement after a little over a year. No problem with the exchange but the replacement failed in a constant reboot after a day of use. This followed with 6 replacements all with the same problem over the next 2 months. The TSR's were not able to help and their only recourse was to just exchange the unit paying for shipping. None I spoke with cared about the cost of the continued shipping. I finally got in touch with an old friend I knew for many years at Echostar. He is one of their higher ranking engineers. He knows my engineering background, and listened to my story and decided to check into what I felt was the problem--

My assessment was that the 622 had a bad connection on the power supply board that when it got old, and overheated many times would form an intermittent connection. As the 622 warmed up the metal connectors in that molex expanded, lost tension and became intermittent. In the refurbishing of returmed 622's they have a by the book procedure to follow as a general rule based on failures, which unfortunately did not include a power supply connector replacement. Hard drive was the main item replaced, tested briefly for powerup and then cleaned, repacked and made ready for reshipment to customers. They never ran the unit for a day to detect a heating and intermittent power supply connector. BTW- while keeping a 622 cool from new condition, may help prevent this, if your 622 was one that had suffered high running temps for many months, it would have the problem and pass through the QA procedure at Echostar. The failure of the 622 power supply connector became a self fulfilling event. IN early December, 2009 I was told Echostar had confirmed this to be the root cause of the reboot and added the exchange of the power supply connector as part of the refurb process. Unfortunately, they did not recall all that were in inventory, only replaced the connectors on the units that were returned after the procedure change. I'm certain many with intermittent power supply connectors are still in the loop.
I agree that the best solution for you is to request a 722 or 722K for your trouble. I did but it took an act of the executive's office to get it done. Even with my insider connection to Echostar, I had to go through the proper channels to get the 722. Some here, I understand made deals with an installer and that works too, but it may require greasing the palms of the installer to get him to do you a 722 favor.

Excellent post Don!:)

Hopefully Dish Network will start taking these issues seriously and this looks like a possible solution for the problem.:hatsoff:

I had 3 or 4 622s fail and got completely fed up. I refused to accept another 622 and instead insisted on a 722k as that was the newest at the time. I was adamant with them that there must be some problem with the 622 since it kept failing repeatedly. I was nice but very firm with the rep, insisting to escalate, and then escalated again once or twice. They told me there was no way they could send a 722 as the replacement order went directly to the warehouse and there was no way to change the model #. I insisted that there had to be some way to contact the warehouse and work it out. After several calls back to me, they did figure it out and I got a brand new 722k without any charge. Over 1 year later totally satisfied with the 722k, ZERO problems with it!

I'd just tell them to go ahead and cancel my service if they can't send out a new 722k receiver after all the problems, that you will try the competition as they may have more reliable hardware.