on someone's account

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tsunshine8

Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Good Morning, I am on my mother's account-my receiver anyway. and I live at another location. can I install a directv dish and still get service?

Thats against the rules.
But I have taken my receiver from my house in PA , to my Vacation home in New York and it works just fine.
While I was Under a commitment.
But now that I'm not its easier to just active service for 1 month and the deactivate when I leave then unhooking everything and hooking it back up.
I'm still paying for the service so I don't see the Issue.

It's pretty staggering the number of people who have questions like this but have never read the Residential Customer Agreement.

Even more staggering is the vagueness of the DIRECTV Residential Customer Agreement. To wit:
DIRECTV Residential Customer Agreement said:
(h) Private Viewing. We provide Service only for your private non-commercial use, enjoyment and home viewing.

DISH Network's section H is just a little less vague:
DISH Network Residential Customer Agreement said:
H. Private Home Viewing Only. DISH Network provides Services to you solely for viewing, use and enjoyment in your private home.
Whether it is obvious or not, the agreements prohibit loaning or transferring receivers. If the receiver is leased, there's language in the Lease Agreement that prohibits the moving/removal of the leased equipment from the home.

While possible, the what you're asking to do is prohibited and could ultimately lead to cancellation of the account and other penalties.

As Hemi said, moving receivers back and forth to your vacation home is ok...DirecTV even has a procedure to do it.

What you are proposing to do is not only a violation of the terms of service, but it is also illegal. It would be similar to having cable service at your house and running a line over to your neighbors......the odds of being prosecuted are pretty remote, but it could happen. However, you have a really good chance of getting your mom's service disconnected permanently.

As Hemi said, moving receivers back and forth to your vacation home is ok...DirecTV even has a procedure to do it.

What you are proposing to do is not only a violation of the terms of service, but it is also illegal. It would be similar to having cable service at your house and running a line over to your neighbors......the odds of being prosecuted are pretty remote, but it could happen. However, you have a really good chance of getting your mom's service disconnected permanently.

It is against the TOS, but where is the illegality?

Just make sure when you set up a DIRECTV receiver from your Mother's account at your home that you connect up the phone line to the receiver and call DIRECTV to let them know exactly what you are doing. They'll take care of everything for you.

Some guys at my work were doing this a few years back, they got "caught" by an installer who showed up to do an upgrade or something. The worst that happened was the service was cut-off. I don't remember any legal action.

An installer who showed up at my house recently for my DVR upgrade wanted to know how I was running 6 IRD's when I only had four wires going into my house from my SL5 dish.
Until I showed him the 2nd dish ( 18" oval, dual LNB ) on the back side of my house. I guess he thought I was doing something similar.

Some guys at my work were doing this a few years back, they got "caught" by an installer who showed up to do an upgrade or something. The worst that happened was the service was cut-off. I don't remember any legal action.

An installer who showed up at my house recently for my DVR upgrade wanted to know how I was running 6 IRD's when I only had four wires going into my house from my SL5 dish.
Until I showed him the 2nd dish ( 18" oval, dual LNB ) on the back side of my house. I guess he thought I was doing something similar.

Or show him the Multi switch in another location :)

It is against the TOS, but where is the illegality?

DirecTV (and Dish for that matter) consider it fraud because it violates their view of 47USC605, and they've got the court cases to back them up. The penalties for violating 47USC605 range from $2,000 fines and/or 6 months in jail to $100,000 and/or 5 years in prison.

For example, if you go to DirecTV's website of Facts About DIRECTV's Anti-Piracy Enforcement you will see cases (civil and criminal) that they've filed against customers, and if you read the actual court complaints, you will see how they use the language of 47USC605 to claim that they've been defrauded.

The odds of them filing a criminal case against the OP's mother would be pretty low, but if you get caught you can expect to have to pay DirecTV some serious $$$ in addition to having your server permanently disconnected.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)