One Channel Lost

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
Since Monday morning I lost one of my OTA channels (RF22). It used to be the strongest one. All the other channels I still receive with the same strength. I have a CM3020 with a CM7775 amp connected to a ViP622. My old voom receiver has the same issues. The voom shows about 60% signal, and needs at least 80 to lock. The ViP622 shows no signal at all. Is my amp broke or would all channels be bad then? Or is it the station having trouble? I am 75+ miles from the towers and all stations are about 2 degrees apart.

I suspect it's the station. This same thing would happen to me between 2004 and 2005 with my DMA (Rochester-Mason City-Austin). I used to think it was my antenna setup since I was one of the only ones in my town watching the digital channels so I couldn't ask the neighbors. So far this year I have not had any problems with my local channels, and my antenna is back at its original position. Short of contacting the station in question, give it a week and see if it starts working again. As my problem would be resolved within a week (my guess is station maintenance/repairs).

I think you're right. If an amp breaks, then it should mess up all the channels. Since I am so far away from the towers, I guess the slightest drop in power just knocks it out. It really sucks to be in my DMA, because I live in a town of 30,000. My DMA is the City north of me, 75 miles away. The next DMA is east of me, which is about 70 miles away. Then the next DMA is south of me, also 75 miles away. The last one is west of me 125 miles away. So this just sucks, unless they would put another transmitter halfway down. So if you don't have Cable or DBS, you CAN'T watch TV here. I really don't know what else to modify on my setup.

are you still using just the front end of your cm3020? This can be a factor working against you.

To improve you can try:

uhf only:
-cm4228 with your cm7775 amp mounted as high as you can

vhf/uhf combo:
-winegard hd8200p with cm7777 or winegard ap8275 preamp
-combination of a cm4228 and a wade vhf only antenna and a cm7777 (may be "unmanageable/too big" for you)

-replace the coax to the grounding block before it enters the home with rg-11 to cut down on signal losses (can be ordered by length with the proper fittings online).

-fine tune the signal a little tighter with a rotor.

-newer generation tuners handle multipath better

-add a quality low noise distribution amp in the home if you distribute the signal several times...but you need to be on the alert for over amplification.

-hire an antenna professional to assist you. Instrumentation helps search for strongest digital signal as opposed to sight or the limited functionality of signal level meters on ota tuners. They should also have an assortment of antennas and options at their disposal to assist in your need.

Last edited:
The channel I lost is back, signal is around 68 like the others, but it has MEGA bad dropouts and pixellation. The other channels are fine. There must be something blocking or disturbing the signal. On my 622 a 68 signal is absolutely sufficient to watch TV without any interruption. But not on FOX23 (RF22)

maybe this is what you need to help get that channel in.

My perscription for deep fringe reception.

Attachments

• Sweden-FM-DX-antenna-array.jpeg
    Sweden-FM-DX-antenna-array.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 179
Rick0725 said:
whaaaat? Cowbell...time to let the cows in. you are confusing me...chapter1

Who is chapter?

Anyway, I played off of your use of the word "prescription". That SNL skit happens to be one of the most popular SNL skits of all time. I take it you have never seen it?

The famous SNL / Christopher Walken Behind the Music - BOC - Bruce Dickinson skit, "Guess what, I got a fever; and the only prescription is more cowbell".

Not a great copy, but:

http://www.whoomp.com/media/data/2/cowbell.wmv

Last edited:
ralfyguy said:
DANG!!! What the heck is that? Where is this at? Does that really work?

HaHa...Was hopin' you would say..."Boy, thats really big!"....oh well.
ummmm....yeah.....its just outside McAlester, Oklahoma....yeah dats where I saw it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)