One of 2 dishes got stolen. Do I still need a multi-switch?

srinivos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I had a dish network setup with 2 dishes, one pointing at SW with a single LNB and another pointing SE with 2 LNBs. The first dish got stolen along with the multi-switch during the weekend. From what I remember the stolen dish would've pointed at 61.5 pulling in some locals & CBS HD. I only subscribe to Top120 with the $9.99 HD pack, no Voom so I did not lose much with the theft. My question is do I still need a multi-switch to hook the dish with 2 LNBs to the receiver. I tried hooking them up directly but the check switch ran into an error and would not recognize it.
I could upgrade to the 622 but the wait period(30 days) and the $99 tag don't interest me.

Yeah,

You need at least one sw21 at minimum, depending on how many receivers you have to switch between the 2 lnb's on the Dish500.

You need to explain how many and what receivers you have, especially their model numbers, which will tell us, if they are legacy or DishPro.

I just realized after coming home that the case is reversed. The dish stolen was pointed at 110 & 119. I have only one receiver, a 942. It looks like I am stuck with replacing this Dish at full cost now :(
Is there any hope of getting a used Dish500 with 2 LNBs?

You can get a new 500 and a DPPlus lnb and eliminate your switches.
Have you callled a local retailer.

fred

srinivos said:
I just realized after coming home that the case is reversed. The dish stolen was pointed at 110 & 119. I have only one receiver, a 942. It looks like I am stuck with replacing this Dish at full cost now :(
Is there any hope of getting a used Dish500 with 2 LNBs?
Try Ebay:)

I called local retailers. I am looking at atleast $200 for dish & labor. I am thinking of 2 options both involving ebay.

- Replace the dish500 with dual lnb's. What switch would I need then? Or can I eliminate the switch if I don't want to hook up the 61.5 satellite?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dish-Network-Di...ryZ32844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

- Converting the 61.5 dish to a dual lnb pointed at 110/119. Is this possible? Can I use this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dish-Network-Di...ryZ32843QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What is the difference between the Dish500 I have and the new one? Was the old lnb called Dishpro and the new one is DPPlus?

Thanks
Nivas

I need to run only wire with DPPlus compared to DishPro with a SW21 switch, am I right?
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/LNBFS/DISHNETWORK-LNBF.htm

I have a 1-2 splitter connected to the two sat inputs on my 942. So I have only one wire running into the apartment.

Last edited:
Harold,

I would like to install it myself but since its an apartment I am limited to where I can mount it. Both the dishes were mounted on poles buried just outside my patio with tripod supports. I would rather not dig & install another one now. So I would like to use the 61.5 dish which is also a Dish500 type. Can I just buy the DPPlus Twin LNBF and replace the single LNBF on this dish? I will still need to orient it but it'll save me some digging. :)
What about the hookup? I see 3 connections on this LNBF. Can I just wire one of them or do I have to combine them with a switch?

I got lucky and found a friend with a spare dish500 with twin LNBF. Problem is I have a Dishplus separator splitting the single cable to the 942 inputs. How do I hook up a Dishpro twin LNBF to a DPPlus separator? Is there a cheap multi-switch I can buy at a local retailer?
Also, I will be trying to orient the dish myself today towards the 110/119 directions, so I would appreciate any tips to how to go about it. My zip code is 75081.

Thanks

Well, when I had the 2 dish setup, I remember it being combined with a multi-switch but it definitely wasn't the dp44. I just looked at the switch online and it looks big & is quite expensive.
Hmm...maybe I was wrong about my old setup &the 110/119 satellite had a DPPlus Twin LNB. In that case, how would it have been combined with the 61.5 to be sent as one cable? I really don't want to be spending too much on this but looks like I will have to buy a new twin lnb :(

p.s. Is there an alternative to DPPlus separator? Something that can be used with DPPro LNBs?

Last edited:
If you had the DPP Twin on the 110/119 dish the 61.5's LNBF probably connected to the LNB input on the DPP Twin, then one output went to the separator at your 942. The second Twin output can go to a second receiver. The LNBF on the 61.5 dish must be a DP Single or Dual. Here's a link to a good resource. From there click on the pdf file in the DPP Twin section for the installation information.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/35#dual

This will likely answer your question about what you originally had...

EDIT: Well, RandallA beat me in! "Dueling Duals", so to speak. Sorry for the redundancy...

If you had the separator set up then you had either
-DPP44 switth
-DPP Twin LNB (the 2nd dish would tap directly into that DPPTwin)

Iceberg said:
If you had the separator set up then you had either
-DPP44 switth
-DPP Twin LNB (the 2nd dish would tap directly into that DPPTwin)

It probably was option2. Huh...the free DishPro twin is no use then. I am looking at $49+shipping for a DDPlus :(

How difficult is to orient a dish towards the 110/119 satellites? I am planning to turn the 61.5 dish after I replace the LNB to save myself some trouble.

srinivos said:
It probably was option2. Huh...the free DishPro twin is no use then. I am looking at $49+shipping for a DDPlus :(

How difficult is to orient a dish towards the 110/119 satellites? I am planning to turn the 61.5 dish after I replace the LNB to save myself some trouble.
Maybe you can sell the DP Twin.

That pdf file I mentioned to you has the instructions for aiming the dishes. Use the installation screens to enter your zip code to get the pointing information if you don't remember how your previous dish was oriented...

srinivos said:
Thanks RandallA. Is there a guide to how to orient a dish for 119/110 somewhere online? Can I do it with the receiver and the azimuth/elevation or do I need some other hardware?
The pdf link was useful to understand how to hook it up.

There is not much to it as long as you understand elevation and azimuth angles (where to point to). The mast must be plumb, that is imperative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)