One Week..and Not A Happy Camper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

VegasDen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Las Vegas
I just switched to E* and in one week I am not a happy camper.

It all boils down to the 612 they provided. Within a day the box would simply reboot on it's own (well vented area so it's not heat). I got 2 or 3 reboots with 24 hours before I called. Did the "unplug reset box" dance. No more random reboots but occasionally the box would just simply freeze. A reset would be the only way I could get it to work. Called again...did the "unplug reset dance" once again.

This AM I awake to the sounds of the box fan spinning like it's going to fly away. The box was fine last night when I went to bed. So I tried to turn it on...won't power up...just the fan noise. Unplug..waited 15 minutes...plug it back in and all I get is the fan.

Dish says it'll take 2 days to get me a new box. I have a 211K upstairs which I moved to my main TV so at least I have HD for football....but all my recordings are now history.

Arrgggg:rant: Just venting as it's not a great way to start a new "relationship".

It all boils down to the 612 they provided. Within a day the box would simply reboot on it's own (well vented area so it's not heat). I got 2 or 3 reboots with 24 hours before I called. Did the "unplug reset box" dance. No more random reboots but occasionally the box would just simply freeze. A reset would be the only way I could get it to work. Called again...did the "unplug reset dance" once again.

This AM I awake to the sounds of the box fan spinning like it's going to fly away. The box was fine last night when I went to bed. So I tried to turn it on...won't power up...just the fan noise. Unplug..waited 15 minutes...plug it back in and all I get is the fan.

Dish says it'll take 2 days to get me a new box. I have a 211K upstairs which I moved to my main TV so at least I have HD for football....but all my recordings are now history.

Arrgggg:rant: Just venting as it's not a great way to start a new "relationship".

You should have gone with a 722 for PIP.

ok...It's a piece of electronic equipment. Relax. The world is an imperfect place. Dish is giving you a new receiver.
Ok to change the setting for the receiver to download software up dates. Go to menu then prefences then to updates. Change the time ( factory default is 3am) to a time when you will not be watching tv and you will not be disturbed.

The Hard drives in the DVR boxes can go bad just like any other hard drive... only choice you have to save your recordings if you really want to keep them and the box is still somewhat operational is to get a external HDD hook it up to it, enable it for a 39.99$ fee and then access it from your new DVR.

but I also agree with the above.. a 722 would have been a better way to go for PIP ;)

My 612, which also a little more than a week old, froze the other night while recording Fringe. I tried pressing the buttons on the front but it did not respond. Then after a few minutes, the fan got really loud and eventually it restarted. It started recording again on it's own since the timer hadn't run out yet. I've also noticed it skips and pauses occasionally. It seems worse when I'm watching TV but that's been rewound some. Live TV seems to be OK but it does occasionally skip and pause in that mode as well.

ok...It's a piece of electronic equipment. Relax. Change the time ( factory default is 3am) to a time when you will not be watching tv and you will not be disturbed.

I was venting...but my world was not ending. I just find it annoying that a new customer would be subjected to all of this. I just moved the 211K downstairs until my shipment arrives

I did ask for a 722...but since I wanted HD for my second TV E* "selected" the 612 as my primary receiver. I have asked for a 722 as a replacement. I was told I would get one "if there is one available". LOL

Thanks for the comment regarding software update times. I was full aware of the times (mine was set for the default 3am). The box doing random reboots, freezing and the fan running continuously with no boot occurred no where near those times. Obviously a bad box/software problems.

Last August my 211 and 722 had their modems fired by a nearby lightening strike that took out a 70 foot tree. I had a new 722 within 3 days and decided to try a 612 instead of a 211 for the bedroom. So a tech came out and installed it.

I had the unit for a little over 4 months and I do not think a week went by that I wasn’t online chatting with tech support about damn problem I was having with it.

I finally gave up the week I contacted them 4 times and told them to give me a second 722, this was on a Wednesday afternoon and at 1203 pm the next day a tech was at my home switching it out.

He told me that he was switching out nearly every 612 they install, they are junk, his words not mine, but I would tend to agree.

Being considered a 5 star customer is the explanation of the preferred treatment according to the tech as well.

Last August my 211 and 722 had their modems fired by a nearby lightening strike that took out a 70 foot tree. I had a new 722 within 3 days and decided to try a 612 instead of a 211 for the bedroom. So a tech came out and installed it.

I had the unit for a little over 4 months and I do not think a week went by that I wasn’t online chatting with tech support about damn problem I was having with it.

I finally gave up the week I contacted them 4 times and told them to give me a second 722, this was on a Wednesday afternoon and at 1203 pm the next day a tech was at my home switching it out.

He told me that he was switching out nearly every 612 they install, they are junk, his words not mine, but I would tend to agree.

Being considered a 5 star customer is the explanation of the preferred treatment according to the tech as well.
612's have....stability issues.
We do swap an inordinate number of these.

There are going to be a lot of new customers wanting a 612 instead of a 722 due to a $7 monthly price difference if it is an additional receiver on the account. Imagine all of those angry customers switching from 722 to 612 to find out the thing is junk. Is Dish Network going to give a $7 credit per month until they fix their 612 issues if they are going to force people with a 722?

Well from my experience I have been complaining about these things since they got installed 3 months ago. I finally called the ceo or whatever, executive costumer service line since I never got a response from the ceo email, and wanted to get 722ks instead because of all the stuff I read on here. They acted surprised that this was the case because the 612 was "reliable", yeah right, I called them on this because both the ones I had installed had the same problems, so they are not reliable if both start screwing up after you install them. they said i could not get 722ks since I would be over the tuner limit, but they said if the replacements I got continued to have problems they will let me out of my contract with out penalty. I wonder if a lot of people start complaining if they will get the same deal, especially the new costumers. They could lose a lot of people like me who switched to dish because they have better receivers, or so they claim, over the comp. Anyway, I am already starting to see issues with one of the replacements, do not watch the other often so do not know if that one is too, but I am going to try one more time with these or ask to get a 722k in February when they change the lease tuner limit. We mainly want to stay with dish because of the Spanish pack, the Fios pack lacks a lot of channels that my parents watch, and their DVRs just stink and are more expensive then dish prices. But if I had a choice over the fios dvr and the 612 i would take the fios dvr.

Once I disconnected my OTA antenna (running it straight into the TV now) my skipping, stuttering issues went away. Not one since. I wonder if the OTA tuners are that bad in them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)