Only allowed one RSN without sports pack?

--sexy-warlock--

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Chattanooga
I live in the SE TN area, and am in the DMA of the Atlanta Braves, and the Cincinnati Reds. When I had the sports pack I could watch Sportssouth, Fox South and FS Cincinnati. Upon dropping the sports pack I lost the Reds, and can't tune into them unless they are on an Alt channel. Shouldn't I still be allowed to watch FS Cincinnati without the sports pack?

It depends upon what RSN's you're supposed to get with the base package. Go to Dish's local channel page and put your address in, they'll tell you which channels you should be getting.

Here in Indy, I get FS Cincy, FS Midwest and CS-Chicago.

Oh, and DMA is a Neilsen acronym that has nothing to do with sports teams. You're in the assigned market of the Reds and Braves (although the Reds does surprise me that far south...)

Here in eastern Iowa, the only RSN we get is Comcast Sportsnet Chicago. It all depends on what DMA they put you in. If you want more RSN's you need the Multi Sports pack.

Here in eastern Iowa, the only RSN we get is Comcast Sportsnet Chicago. It all depends on what DMA they put you in. If you want more RSN's you need the Multi Sports pack.

Best 5.95 I can spend. Get Comcast Chicago only with my package but get Fox Midwest and Fox North with the sports pack. Sure beats the heck out of the $12.00+ pack D* rips there people off with!

Just so those in L.A. who may be looking at this thread, Dish provides both Prime (like a Fox Sports West 2) and Fox Sports West as your local regional sports channels without a subscription to the Regional Sports Pack.

Last edited:
I think the multi sports pack is awesome. It's not that expensive and you get almost every baseball game thats on.

Just so those in L.A. who may be looking at this thread, Dish provides both Prime (like a Fox Sports West 2) and Fox Sports West as your local regional sports channels without a subscription to the Regional Sports Pack.
And they are the ONLY provider in the LA market that offers the HD version of those channels on a part-time only basis. Every other provider provides the HD versions 24/7 (that does not mean that every program is in HD).

Why is this important? Dish is the only provider in the LA market in which you cannot watch the non game HD programming, including the pre and post game shows, and the only one in which you get JIPs (this is a bigger issue on the west coast since they have to wait for east coast games to finish before they have the available bandwidth to show a local game on a local RSN in HD).

I think the multi sports pack is awesome. It's not that expensive and you get almost every baseball game thats on.
No you don't. You need to subscribe to Extra Innings or In Demand to see out of market games, of which Dish does not carry.

The "multisports packs" (what ever name a specific provider gives it) by any provider does not give you access to out of market professional games. You need the additional out of market specific league package to get those games. These packages are a lot more expensive than the "multisports packs"

Which ones do you see that aren't in HD? Most of the of Braves/Reds games have been in HD for me. But I do agree, there is no excuse for Dish to not have at least the bare minimum of every major sporting event in HD if they are going to short change the RSN so much, especially since they are, themselves, moving full-time HD.

Last edited:
I believe I have multi sports pak. I do not get pro sports, but if a college football game is on, say fsn ohio, and there are showing a local event, I can get that game on a fsn midwest.
So do I have these channels? Are they on all the time? Only on for me when a game is on.

Well 98% of the games I want to watch are on. If it's blacked out on one channel I can usually find it on another. The other day the Cardinals game was carried on 4 different channels. It was blacked out on two of them. Maybe it's just me. I'm able to watch about any national league central division game I want.

You're one of the lucky ones to live in an area with access to 6 teams. :)

(Cardinals/Cubs/White Sox/Brewers/Royals/Twins) Most nights you get to see about 1/3 of all baseball games. Very nice indeed. With the Cubs on WGN I thought I was lucky getting 1/5 of the MLB most nights.

The HD channels are only on for select sporting events. The SD versions are on all the time.

Why 1/3, is it in HD?
I have STO sd all the time, and FSN ohio sd all the time.
Most of the football games are HD. Sometimes I get high school games out of market on a different channel. Maybe I will call dish and see what I have going on?

I'll give u an example...If fsn ohio has a replay of a mac game, or anything else, and lets say a pac-10 game is on in HD on another channel live, I get that game on another FSN channel.(on guide it says HD alternate)

My guide, when I hit all channels, does not show sd rsn (except my rsn 425,431,439)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts