Open Letter to DISH Management Re: Lack of Manual Timer and No-VIP receiver policy on Hopper account

It may have been an observation by DISH engineers that subscribers were setting up their recordings from the guide all the time so,therefore the elimination of the manual timers became a reality?.Just a guess.

So is this a possibility? you decide.:)
What?

Management was short on core memory space and Hollerith cards and so decided to make year data two only decimal characters wide and to save 150 lines of code, save 512 bytes and so deleted the manual timer sub-routines?

FYI: You got to be really old to understand this one.

smooth28la said:
There's no 'Add a recording' function on the Android's version of Remote Access. Your picture looks like the iPhone version.

Can someone else confirm?

Sorry about that, yes it is an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

What?

Management was short on core memory space and Hollerith cards and so decided to make year data two only decimal characters wide and to save 150 lines of code, save 512 bytes and so deleted the manual timer sub-routines?

FYI: You got to be really old to understand this one.

A Jewel Of A System.

This is Assuming all the Digital Sub channels have guide data.
METV does not for my market and some can not record Star Trek. They are Not happy. I mean No Star Trek.

Dish needs to make sure they always add guide data for all Digital Sub Channels. This will make everyone happy. The radio channels they should just make recordable via online manual.

Maybe or maybe not.Here's my take on this subject:

When I had my 625 I set up my recordings from the guide.

When I had my 622 I set up my recordings from the guide.

When I had my 722k/wMT2 I set up my recordings from the guide.

Now I have my 922/wMT2 I set up my recordings from the guide.

Never used Dish Pass/manual timers.

It may have been an observation by DISH engineers that subscribers were setting up their recordings from the guide all the time so,therefore the elimination of the manual timers became a reality?.Just a guess.

So is this a possibility? you decide.:)

I record a lot of program off the foreign OTA channels.. none of them will ever have the guide information. That's why it's so imperative that manual recording is restored to the Hopper before the OTA plug-in is introduced.

smooth28la said:
I record a lot of program off the foreign OTA channels.. none of them will ever have the guide information. That's why it's so imperative that manual recording is restored to the Hopper before the OTA plug-in is introduced.

Sorry, I'm going to differ there. The timing of one is not dependent on the other. In no way should lack of availability of manual timers cause any delay in OTA. Both are wanted, but whatever can be done first, should be done first.

Sorry, I'm going to differ there. The timing of one is not dependent on the other. In no way should lack of availability of manual timers cause any delay in OTA. Both are wanted, but whatever can be done first, should be done first.

Ironically, it's probably easier to update the software to do manual timers than design and manufacture an OTA module, which also requires additional SW updating.

GaryPen said:
Ironically, it's probably easier to update the software to do manual timers than design and manufacture an OTA module, which also requires additional SW updating.

Probably, but OTA is already in development and Manual timers isn't even in their list of future plans (at the moment).

DishSubLA said:
And give us DishPass on the Hopper. I use that a lot, along with manual timers.

Already have it.
It is now called seek & record.

Sent from my DROIDX

And give us DishPass on the Hopper. I use that a lot, along with manual timers.

As n0qcu pointed out, it already has what used to be called Dish Pass. It's now called Seek & Record. Press the Search button, type in the search info, then press the Green button (or move the focus to the Seek & Record button and press Select). It will then present a dialog that should be obvious how to use.

One caveat is that you cannot currently edit a Seek timer once you create it. Matt G. of the DIRT team informed me that editing is coming in the future, but I don't know how far in the future that may be.

I created Seek Timers for the Laker games and they worked as expected.

Regarding manual timers, if you can access Dish Remote Access (not Dish Online) you can create manual timers (at least it works for me).

This is Assuming all the Digital Sub channels have guide data.
METV does not for my market and some can not record Star Trek. They are Not happy. I mean No Star Trek.

Dish needs to make sure they always add guide data for all Digital Sub Channels. This will make everyone happy. The radio channels they should just make recordable via online manual.

I had the same problem,but after reading a post about contacting dishquality@echostar.com and emailing the station in question my problem has been corrected, as one morning I woke up turned on my DISH 922/wMT2 and the programming information for MeTV was being supplied to my OTA guide.:D

So I highly recommend if you still are having a problem with MeTV's programming information you might try what I did.Good Luck!:)

GaryPen said:
And you know this how?

What makes you so sure it won't be part of the SW update that will go out to support the OTA module?

Either in this thread or the other manual timers thread, Scott indicated that adding manual timers wasn't currently in the plans (something to that effect).

Edit: it's this thread, post #2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)