Openbox S9- NA satellite channel lists and a bit more information!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
For those of you who do not like the satellite lists that come with the North American files for the Openbox S9 HD receiver, I thought I would post a few lists that I was tinkering with. I can not find the best list I created as it is lost among the many file folders on my laptop. Started a second good list for my minibud when I moved it to the back yard, but doesn't have a full scan of channels as the dish is not truly aligned to the arc, it's only a temporay setup for testing a spot in the yard- getting ready for the 6 foot solid panel dish install for cband.

I received my 6 foot dish from Galaxy Marketing yesterday along with the Vbox mover, thanks to Magic Static I received the actuator via UPS this morning. But still have a few branches to trim from an elm tree before I start installing the new dish. I plan on placing the dish about 30 feet behind the temp minibud so it is in the tree line and I wont have to mow around it. The elm tree above the offset 1.2 meter dish in the photo has about 6 small branches that will impead reception of many sats, after the pruning I will have clear view of the arc from 50W through 139W.

P1010097.JPG

Attached is a photo of my current dish setup and two satellite lists, one that I currently use, and one that has additional satellites and transponders for. Keep in mind you can only load a total of 63 satellites to the Openbox, any more than that and it does some really weird things. I am also attaching two screen shots that Openbox users might find informative. If you go to menu- then tools- then click on information and enter 77777 or for some units 8888, it will show your chip set ID, this is good checking for clone status. However it would seem that this information only appears after you loaded new firmware that might brick a clone unit, for example in the next photo you will notice the CCID listed as 0200 on one of my Openbox receivers, if I load new firmware it will change to 0200:XXXX. The X's will be the chip set ID, there is a list of valid chip sets posted at another forum, can't recall them off the top of my head.

P1010098.JPG

Another hidden menu that you may find usefull, go to menu, then tools- then click on information and enter 11111 on your remote, this brings you to the factory test menu. As shown in this photo.

P1010099.JPG

As to the satellite lists, they are broken into C band and then KU sats. One list has them all that can be viewed from North America, the second list is all between 30w through 139W excluding a few circular C band satellites. The C band sats that are circular in nature are denoted as such on the all incompassing list. Almost every valid transponder that can be received in North America should be incorporated. For those who hate the proper name attached to each sat, these lists do away with that and lable them as to their orbital position. Also the list is set up using a 4x1 diseqc switch as ku and c band feed from seperate dishes on my setup. To use the lists you would have to configure to your own dish and lnb setup. And yes the CW's are already included on the lists. So use if you choose, just remember to limit the list to 63 satellites prior to loading to your receiver. You can also use the HD editor and these lists to customized prior to loading, you will need to open and view first in HD editor to determine which list is which. I believe the first attached channel list contains all the satellites, the second should be limited to 63 sats.

View attachment HDS2_DUMP.zip.View attachment HDS2_DUMP.zip

I haven't try the new firmware and will not even try it. When I hit the 77777 I get CCID 0107

I haven't try the new firmware and will not even try it. When I hit the 77777 I get CCID 0107

The only firmware I can imagine trying for upgrade is the green screen fix if your box doesn't already have it. From what I read this fix also slows down the blind scan so there is a trade off. For me I am running with the HDMI cable so it wouldn't do me any good to upgrade to the newer firmware. I do however have another Openbox with the green screen fix, and yes the blind scan does seems to slow down a bit, however I am told it will capture the lower symbol rates where it might miss them on the faster scan.

Back to satellite lists- I have read several posts complaining about the NA satellite lists that are factory offered, and yes even for me I would rather have them listed as an orbital position rather than by the satellite name. Just makes things a bit easier, but this may not be the case for everyone.

There is a lot of posts at other sites that state that the color of the card reader is all you have to look at to determine if your box is a clone, acording to that my boxes are not clones. But then you go to another website and they state that even the color of the card reader is not a true test. From what I gather the only true test is to install new firmware and see what the chip set reads for ID. If it is not on the list then you want to re-install imediately the original that came with the box, so a bit of advice is to upload and save the firmware file of your box before testing anything. The clone kill in the new firmware is set to brick the unit after 10 power up reboots.

So how would you add-say a sat and all the vpids/apids to get this on the list?

Adding a sat and transpoder with symbol rate is tuff enough using the PVR800 editor, and you can spend the time to manually add each channels vpids apids and pcr data, but it would be easier just to scan them in using the preset scan of transpoders already on the list. But beware, I noticed yesterday that the transponder carrying Reelz Channel on 91W was in error (had the incorrect polarity listed). I just manually corrected this in TP scan yesteray to scan in this channel. So I am not stating the list is 100% accurate, just a good starting point to continue the editing. I wasn't going to post a list untill I set up my BUD and did a full C band scan, then time stakenling double check each transponder for accuracy. So this dump was just a hurry up and post.

If anyone knows of a channel editor that allows copy and pasting with the Openbox please let me know. Sure wish Channel Master supported this box!!!!

Your work is appreciated.I never did get the editor to work.
Nobody issued a simple step by step to follow,so can't figure it out.
I can add or change a sat/transponder..but some call for adding the pids to scan in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)